1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should they bench "money man" for a quarter??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dustin, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016

2. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    What exactly would he be punished for? He was not under contract until he signed the tender. Bell did nothing wrong.

I think the consequences Tomlin alluded to previously were more about the aches and pains from playing when you are not used to contact.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The only reason to bench him is to show who runs the team which is Tomlin. Same as with AB last year it is more symbolic than substance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I thought I read somewhere he had the right to hold out until December. I guess we should just be happy he is available for game 1.

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I wouldn't bench him, but if they were worried about "game shape" I could see easing him into the starting lineup for a game or two.

6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Start him. First play, call a pass, have the tackle block down forcing Bell to have to block Myles Garrett. That will tell you if he is ready to play football.

7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No. It wasn't really a holdout when he wasn't under contract. Lambert sat out the '77 preseason and lost his team captain status but Noll was smart enough to play him.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    After all the wheeling and dealing, and gambles taken in the last week or so, benching Bell would completely go against what they clearly have been trying to do. Put the team in a position to Win. Every. Game. Now. And Bell gives them the best chance to that.

It would make no sense at all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Was going to say something similar.

Tomlin did say consequences will be in play for Le'Veon. What those are I am not sure but my guess would be internal.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Like any FB Coach . We will get our 12 Million worth. We should get that on the Teams terms not his terms .A Coach can't preach Team first and get his players to believe it if you allow players to represent themselves more than the Team .

Tunch is not a peewee Coach and neither was I . The point is it's not fair to the guys who put in the work to be punished and reward a guy who didn't . Coach T is a smart Coach and he will punish Bell for not being the Team guy he wanted him to be, as he should .

Bell raps like he is a star and he dictates everything,.News flash the Coach runs things . Bell did what he was allowed to do under the rules against the Teams wishes so now it's the Teams turn to return the favor .

If he does get in I would also take away his GL work. The other RB'S are bigger and stronger anyway reward them and it won't hurt the Team a bit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    How would Conner and Watson be "punished" by Bell starting? They both were acutely aware that our #1 RB spot wasn't up for grabs.

And Bell's already going to pay for his late start in suboptimal timing, not being in football shape, and such.

12. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I would bench him for the 4th quarter after we have built up a decent lead

• Like Like x 1
  13. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I don't think that would phase Bell on bit, he would probably ask coach to let him sit another quarter or two, that's just the kind of guy he is. He is a me me guy and a great football player and he knows it. Having enough guts to miss camp when offered twelve plus million, nothing out of the ordinary he does would surprise me .

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there's are opening day kick returner. ST's game one.:smiley1::cool:

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Please no.....do you guys understand the serious ramifications of benching him for a quarter ....do you really want to give him some more ammunition and material for another pathetic attempt at being a rapper. I know I don't and my ears are thanking me for it....:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What if he misses?

17. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Wait, we've waded through all the drama to get him here, endlessly endured the he maybe the best but missed games spiel, will pay him an astonishing 700,000 per game for all our troubles, and the first thing you want to do is not play him?

:noose:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Playing the devil's advocate here. The team could potentially not dress Bell for week one, assume a super bowl caliber team can beat the Browns regardless, and then wait until week two to activate him. Thus, if anyone is injured in week one, that's your man to cut to go from 54 to 53 man roster.

Do I think it will happen? No
    Do I want it to happen? No
    Could it happen, I doubt it, but Tomlin did say there would be consequences. He could sell it as ensuring Bell is in football shape before he takes the field.

19. sleehrat

sleehrat Active Member

Aug 25, 2017
    So play him and not give him the chance to hold a clipboard to jot down lyrics lyrics lyrics ?

20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Then it may be a long day for Ben. At least you will know if he's ready.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Listen no one is saying sit him the quarter but Tomlin said there would be consequences so expect the same thing he did to Antonio Brown or what he did to Bell in the preseason game after his pot bust, fun him until he is tired and don't let him come out.

22. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Might as well punish Haden, McDonald and Wilcox too...they weren't here either.....They just were not as big a douche about it as Bell

HACK

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    The whole death by a 1000 cuts... Technically and by the letter of the law he did nothing wrong and nothing that atleast 1/3 of superstar athletes wouldn't do the same way. Seems like a low number but when in league wide comparison there is only a handful to try to carry their own torch to the nth degree...and it's always about money.

No good comes from sitting Bell. If you want to hurt his feelings then maybe because as a me me guy that's the only thing that usually matters anyhow. However, anything you do to reduce his touches is only gonna fan his flames further in the whole "I'm being disrespected" etc dept, and that crap spills over in the locker room and we as fans/they as a team don't need that ****.

I don't care for his idiotic nature but then again I don't for most of this new generation of athletes or their BS either.

I'd prefer Tomlin to approach this season like any other in the terms of handling Bell, with an added condition. Don't bench him or put him in your "dog house" as we've seen that has little to no registry with any of his players and may only start the locker room cancer. You're paying the guy 12 mil this year, so put him to work! If he ain't ready, that's on him and you can adjust and in private with the threats of making somebody pay, can sit in the same room and further humiliate him along the lines of "I told you so dummy!"

The condition I'd add, and here is where if there is an axe to grind with staff vs Bell comes into play.
    Ultimately, work his ass off but, situationally (as many of us here has said as much) get the idiot off the field if only for this season in the sense of preservation! Work him, but try to keep him fresh! Meaning not gassed and pulling muscles and crap when it counts. I know injuries are freakish so no need to bring it up in arguement.

Theoretically, we could have a 3 headed monster coming out of the backfield if the cards are played right meaning get Bells ass off the field when needed and quit working him til he's impotent and useless. They never used Williams outside of his injuries appropriately, they just leaned on a historically brittle RB when needed and he answered the bell a handful of times.

We got some personnel back there, and I hope to hell the staff will play smart ball and not over exeprt bell while preserving as well as keeping him productive. Playing smart would lower his numbers for the good health wise and ultimately financially should he choose to be a part of their family and not a Twitter *****.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ........or had. a choice :smiley1:

25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    C

Cool, you can write douche with it being starred I wondered as much. Douche has one more letter than ***** and I didn't want to cause a tizzy with my rhetoric on the board.good to know moving forward