1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should they bench "money man" for a quarter??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dustin, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I was listening to Tunch and Wolf on SNR and they were debating whether or not, if they were the coach, if they would bench Bell for a period of time or not. I thought it made for good discussion. Figured I would bring to my favorite forum.

I would bench him for a quarter. Only because the running backs that showed up to camp have worked there butts off and deserve a start.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sure, if winning the game isn't your first priority.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    It is the Browns ,,but ,no don't bench him,what would that prove anyway ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I can't see that it would have any kind of short, medium or long term benefit.

6. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Run him till the tires go flat and we'll see just how prepared he really is.

7. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Honestly you really can't punish him. He did nothing wrong. Everything he has done is with in his rights to do.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hand slap is what it will be. He won't be announced as the offensive starter. Conner will be the first back in but the play will be a wr screen to Bryant and while they scrape him off the grass Bell will be substituted in.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    What would sitting for a quarter accomplish? It might make the fans that are mad at him happy, but other than that?

Yeah, yeah, they can't lose to the Browns, just like they can't lose @Phi, lose to TB at home, lose @ the Jets, lose at Balt with a backup QB. The Steeler NEVER lose games like that. It's like money in the bank.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ummmm.......yeahhhhh!.........NO! Only bad could come from it....

11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Why would you pay a guy $12M to stand on the sidelines? That just seems trifling and doesn't really serve a purpose besides creating a bigger void between Bell and the FO. Yeah, he's been acting like an immature punk but now it is time to make him earn his paycheck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I really think it will all depend on whether Haley drafted him or AB for his fantasy team. If he drafted Bell then no way he gets benched. If he drafted AB and Conner as a sleeper then I can see it. It's really all contingent upon this.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No and Im surprised Tunch would think that.

14. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Interesting insight. I thought more would say to bench him for longer. I guess that would be kind of an old school punishment. It is after all a business now more than it has ever been.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    He didn't do anything wrong. He's playing by the rules. We may not like it but that's just tough.

Lotta Pitt Panthers fans here. What are their thoughts on Aaron Donald? I don't even think he has reported to Rams yet has he?

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd say an even more old school punishment would be to run him until he pukes his guts out AFTER practice but thanks to the CBA you probably can't even do that anymore. Coaches really have no power at all. I mean yes Tomlin COULD technically bench him but that would actually be counter intuitive even from Tomlin's perspective because coaches get paid to win and Bell on the field gives Tomlin the best chance to win. Which increases his likelihood of employment with the Steelers or even just the league in general. If the fans want to have their say with Bell then boo the crap out of him when he touches the ball. Even then he will just laugh all the way to the bank though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I say let's see what he's got. Get him the ball for the first 5 snaps and he either does the same amazing stuff we love to see or he'll show he isn't in game shape. If he's ready and dominates then great for the team and fans. If he isn't ready then maybe it will embarrass him and light a fire under his butt to earn his paycheck.

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He thinks that because Tomlin said there would be consequences for Bell holding out from off season OTAs and camp....

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would let 1 of my camp guys get the start.Bell missed the camp and didn't get ready for the season the way he should have . Hi mates his Coaches and KC all tried to get him to come in.

Bell didn't show Team 1st. values as such he wouldn't be my first Team guy at RB . I would sit him for the 1st. series and see how it goes. If we score then sit him for another 1 , if we build a lead and our other RB'S are running good keep him sitting .

I am sure he wants to prove his worth and the Team needs to show him we don't have to have you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't think the quarter or half suspension would do much. Although subbing in Conner near the goal line might.

21. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Spoken like a peewee football coach. You're not paying your RB $12M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I see where Burt Lauten just announced the Steelers COULD use a roster exemption for up to 2 weeks, essentially benching Bell.

I still don't see it.

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe the "P" and "W" in PWP stand for "Pee Wee"? Not that there's anything wrong with that. Although if I were going to go with Pee Wee I would follow it up with Herman.

24. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    LOL. PWP = playwitpoise

25. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Benching him for a quarter or even a series would be nothing but a petty, childlike reaction because only a foolish child would bench their best RB who also has great hands over a contract dispute.
    I don't want my team to behave like petty children I want men who are leaders of men.

Consequences do not have to be on the field and to the detriment of the rest of the team, fans and others. Seriously guys. Logic, common sense...dare I say reason? The big picture?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1