1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers trade for Chase Winovich?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jun 22, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    are you sure? They didn't have to sign him this year but did. Maybe they actually think he can do the job.:cool:

2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    If he's not physically ready to set the edge, it will be a disaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    What did Bill Belichek say after a 3-day drunk?: I traded Winovich for what?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, teams settle for players who most likely can't do the job quite often. That is life with the salary cap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or they signed Marsh because they knew he would come cheap, especially with the reduced salary cap this year they needed a bargain signing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Move Ebron to his natural position, big wideout.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    so they paid marsh more then ola even after watching marsh last year? they knew what they were getting in both. if they just wanted to sign a body ola knew the defense.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    again, they could have signed ola , who knew the defense for less then marsh. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Maybe Marsh is better than Ola, but that probably just means they both stink?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Wrong, Ola was due to make 2.1 million as a rights of refusal restricted free agent, they're paying Marsh about 1 million this season :facepalm:.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe but stat wise there is not a huge difference from marsh numbers to winovich either. 9 starts for each so far. :cool:

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    could have cut him and re-signed like they did with vince. ola signed for 1 mil. at tenn. marsh cost more then winovich actually. slightly but still more. if traded for winovich would probably cost a draft pick too, for a similar output as marsh. what are they gaining? winovich can't even start on a crappy defense they had in NE. here ill give you one too.:facepalm::smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    In each of the last 2 seasons Winovich has 5.5 sacks, that scrub Marsh couldn't produce that :shrug:. They didn't want to pay Ola 2 million a year, like I said they settled on Marsh because he was cheap.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    marsh had a year with 3 starts where he had 5.5 sacks. 5 forced fumbles. 25 tackles for loss. 14.5 sacks total. and as i said they could have cut ola and re-signed him just like they did with vince. you know they settled for marsh because he was cheap how? do you work for the team? i didn't think so. it's your opinion, which you are entitled to so quit stating it as fact, you have no idea how much they like marsh. there are others out there too that they could have signed. they knew what they had in marsh but did re-sign him. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is even worse. That doesn’t make Marsh good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    never said it did, just that they know what they had and still brought him back. they were not forced to do that they chose to do that. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What a waste of a pick.

It's hard to produce when your consistently in the cold tube with a hang nail.

As far as Chase goes we do need a swing guy, even two, to spell Watt and Highsmith at times. Thin is the word.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    How were they going to cut Ola, and re-sign him? That makes no sense they never picked up his restricted tag, so he was a free agent :shrug:. I didn't know you were the president of the Cassius Marsh fan club :lolol:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ola is Mr. August, flashes a little bit in the preseason, then doesn't do anything in the regular season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    I would 100 percent trade for Winovich if he is available ... We can give a pick if its not to high, he is a young guy with lots of potential.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Like others, I liked Winovich when he was coming out in the draft too, but giving up another pick in 2022 would be less than ideal since we already lost one from getting Loudermilk. Losing some ammo if we have to move up for a QB. If they can do it for 2023 then maybe.

Probably the best course would be to wait until after the last cutdown and see who's available. If some guy makes noise in the preseason, they can poach him off the PS and add him to the 53 or just put in a claim if someone interesting is cut.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they did that with vince didn't they? i think marsh is more then capable with roche here as well for all they will play. the team must as well because they re-signed the guy. nobody held a gun to their head to do it. just because you don't like him. we could go on until the cows come home on this but they brought him back for a reason and drafted roche for a reason and let ola go for a reason. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    NE defense wasn't very good last year. with all winoviches potential, why did he not start? you don't give up draft picks for backups. we have starters and a draft pick of our own. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I get the need for capable back-ups at OLB, but I'm much more concerned with the o-line. They managed to fill the need that cutting DeCastro created. I wasn't impressed with Okorafor on the right side let alone him being on the left side. I know capable left tackles don't grow on trees, but if they are going to expend any future picks or current players and salary cap resources they have, I'd prefer they do it to get a LT in here that will prevent the murder of Ben Roethlisberger. Next to a right tackle, a back-up OLB is a luxury. They lose Ben, they could have three future HoF'ers at OLB on the team and they still are going to be on the outside looking in at the end of the year. The only good that would come out of it would be that they will get to see what they have with Rudolph and possible Haskins if he makes the team.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, in a sense, their hand was forced by the lack of depth at outside linebacker on the roster. Marsh can rush the passer a little and play special teams, but he is absolutely pathetic in run defense. I am sure the Ravens and Browns would love for the Steelers to keep Marsh in a significant role. One of them might put up 300 yards on the ground in a game against Pittsburgh this season.

• Like Like x 1