1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers trade down from #17?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    No kidding.... that pick could turn into a top 5 pick next season.

2. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    . DJ EA AND BMW will all be off the board at 17. Jones will be there because of his back issues. Several mocks have us taking the DT out of Mizzou.....Sheldon I think? I really like Jones though, but you gotta admit his medical concerns are a huge flag

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i too think jarvis jones and the guards will be there and i would take jones

4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    man you guys have kinda got me excited now. i didnt think that there was anyway jones would fall that far. i admit i have looked or read alot of mocks that have him falling but i can dream. i watch him play and dont worry about the injury. if he is on our board and we take a first round pick on him i guess our doctors aint worried about it either.

5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm sure that we will do a complete medical review of Jones before the draft (and probably have done so already). I don't know much about stenosis, so I certainly can't assess the medical risk, but I would point out that Marcus McNeil had to retire from football at age 28 due to the same condition, so the NFL has some recent experience with that condition. Since we're a team that likes to draft players onto our system, and then keep them for a decade, we may value him less than some other teams.

6. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    That's my exact point. We've hit on these why do it.

Some may say its a bad draft. But, first round is first round. Top 20, one must believe, no matter what year is a stud and future pro bowler.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Colbert/ Steelers have a pretty good track record
    with early draft choices, I think we seriously need to
    think about safety,rb, ilb, olb, qb,WR, of course alot
    can happen before the draft. one thing we better hope
    for,is whoever the Steelers take that they are capable
    of seeing playing time much sooner than our past draft choices
    have been. We lack talent all the way around. I believe we can do BETTER.

8. mort159

mort159 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The problem is this draft is not great at a few positions and as it turns out those are positions of need for us. In my opinion there is not an ILB, S, RB, and WR worth the 17th pick and we won't go QB there. OLB or Guard would be a safe bet if one of the studs are there.

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    After the combine, I'm starting to feel okay with taking Cooper at #17.

I'd also be happy with trading down, taking Te'o, and then trading up in the 2nd if necessary and landing Barrett Jones.

It all depends who is there. I can't remember a draft with so much uncertainty. So many guys that have been mocked both in the top 3 and at the bottom of the 1st round, or later. I've never seen such a wide range of opinion, and so much huge change in opinion.

Geno Smith is going #1 overall! Wait, no, half-way through the 2nd round.
    Werner is going #5! Wait, no, #25.
    Moore is going #3! Wait, no, #20.
    Jones is going #2! Star is going #3! Wait, no, those guys are both going in the 20s.

I've never felt so clueless about who will be on the board when we pick. I seriously have no clue, and that makes all of this planning kind of frustrating. More exciting, though. I hope it's still this crazy come draft day. It will be way more fun to watch.

10. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I would be so very excited if we traded down. This is the perfect year as this draft is very deep in young talent ( record # of juniors ) but not loaded with sure fire top 15 talent.

Problem is we're not likely to find a partner because of a lack of " we gotta have that guy" type of player. There is not a safety,corner or ILBer in this draft that was as good as anyone drafted at or before #17 last. Also need to include QB to that list.

We'll get a good player in rd 1 but with the depth of this draft what we get in rds 2-5 will be key to our future success and if we could add picks in those rds it would really help.

Cajun-

11. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I agree with most of what you say. I do think you hear the "not that one impact guy" every year, but as soon as the draft day hits, the guys some of these teams WANT, really start to pop through and people begin trading up or into the 1st round again in order to get that guy they want. Who would have picked Bruce Irvin or Brandon Weedon as guys teams couldn't live without....

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, we probably can't count on the Brownies making those sort of decisions anymore :lolol:

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    One potential trade down partner that intrigues me is Jacksonville. I think they need a QB badly. Gabbert is looking like a bust and Henne is just a stop gap who should be a backup. They probably won't take a QB at #2, but if Geno Smith is there at #17, maybe they would trade up. We give pick #17 and get #33, #64 and their 4th rounder, which will probably be #99 or #100 after insertion of the 3rd round comp picks. That trade is almost dead even on the pick value chart, and given what other teams have given up to get their QB of the future, maybe they'd do it - probably not, but maybe....

14. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Yeah, but there are plenty of other stupid teams out there who have a history of stupid choices....Dallas, Oakland, Jacksonville, Tampa

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a huge risk for the Jags for a QB that is basically on the same tier as Glabbert, isn't he? That's the kind of move that will crush a team if they miss on Geno, I think they'd need a lot more sure thing then him if they were to make that move. Plus it's a little too soon to label Glabbert a bust to the extent that you would pull the trigger on something like that.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't think it's that big a risk for a QB. They would be giving up a 3rd and 4th to move up from #33. In the QB game, that's pretty small potatoes, and well worth the risk if they like him. I'm of course hypothesizing what they would do IF they think Smith has franchise QB potential and IF he is still available at #17, so it's questionable on both fronts. However, every hypothetical pre-draft trade is pretty questionable.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I misunderstood then, I read your post as them giving us 3 picks. Still don't know if it's worth it, they'd basically be picking Glabbert again. And I'm not so sure how much of the problem is Glabbert or more to do with the players he has around him. Probably somewhere in between.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    would it be worth our effort to pick geno and work for a trade and some extra draft picks? we know teams will want him? could this be an option for us knowing that? use it as just a different way to get more picks if it's such slim pickins in the first for us? maybe we could get a good vet player and some extra picks for him. just a hypothetical.:cool:

19. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    No. You take the guy you want when you draft. If they want that player, they have to trade for the pick and take him themselves.