1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers trade a third round pick for Sam Darnold?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Those 6 games don’t count? Those numbers aren’t good? Of course they are. If you find a more current article, I’d love to read it.

Your last sentence isn’t the topic of debate here, the debate is Edmunds had a pretty good year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

NA UH!!!!

HE BENEFITTED FROM MINKAH!!!!

[​IMG]

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well, Matt Rhule did turnaround Baylor after their fallout in addition to making the Panthers competitive despite some of their shortcomings in 2020. It still will take some time for Rhule to get the Panthers on the right track. That said, Darnold will not be short of weapons assuming Jaylen Waddle, Kyle Pitts or even Ja'Marr Chase are available at pick 8. The aforementioned three are all good fits. Among them though, Kyle Pitts would give both Matt Rhule and Sam Darnold the jumpstart they both need for the Panthers to become more competitive in the NFC South.

4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Trubisky was the absolute worst of them all. Idk how anyone seriously justified picking him over Watson coming out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He had a good year but he does benefit tremendously from minkah. Minkah while not on the level of Ed reed or earl Thomas, can play centerfielder and allow Edmunds to paly closer to the box. That doesn't take away from Edmunds as an individual but he would not have the same impact if he was forced in deeper coverage and had more responsibilities in coverage than he has now with minkah behind him.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    All of that, and he has Christian McCaffrey and a capable offensive line which he can rely on, too. It's a good situation for Darnold.

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If he can beat out Teddy B. .

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I have a bunch of friends in Chicago. They went ape **** over that pic.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Many players play well for the Jets before they leave NFL hell, why does Darnold get a pass? Sanchez was better than anything Sam has shown.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I'm really surprised the Jets were able to get that much from the Panthers. The Panthers get 1 year to look at Darnold for 3 draft picks - or 2 years if they pick up his 5th year at around $20 million. Seems like a desperate move on the Panthers end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Panthers were supposedly interested in Watson and by all accounts they tried to trade for Stafford too. After SF traded up to #3 they probably knew they weren’t going to be able to draft a QB so I think you could be right, definitely a sniff of desperation off this trade. They didn’t want to roll with Bridgewater again and they were running out of options.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it’s more Gase than Jets but I agree, you’re banking on him being better just from being away from them. Big gamble for what they gave up plus taking his contract into consideration.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Would I have made that deal for the Steelers, no, but I can see a role of the dice for the Panthers in their current situation. I would include an overall picture of this deal in seeing what they can get out of Teddy B, which is not going to be much, but if they can get that 4th back...or even a conditional 3rd then the deal for Darnold is more considerably better. You get a 23 YO with only a 5 million hit this year, and a 2 year hit of around 24 million.

The Panthers had a couple lopsided losses last year, but 7 of those losses were 8 points or less. If (a big if) they can fix Darnold then they are not far from being competitive for at least a PO spot.

• Like Like x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They had some functionality going on when Sanchez got there and they had arguably the best def in the league. Also Adam gase..

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There is always one general manager out there, about to loose his job, who will overpay and roll the dice hoping to get lucky.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Would you acknowledge that he wasn't worth a first round pick?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think it’s that black and white. Would you say Bud was worth a first rd pick? I would. If Edmunds has a great year this coming season, I’d say he was worth it.

You have to take into account that he was taken at pick 28, you’re almost into rd 2 by then. The only player taken of note in the 4 picks after him was Jackson and there was no way they were going to take him.

Going into rd 2, only two players stand out to me in the next 15 picks, Leonard and Chubbs. While I would have loved to have either one of them over Edmunds, neither of them were projected to go in the first rd and Colts even received criticism for taking Leonard too early and Steelers weren’t in the market for a RB, not in rd 1 so Chubbs wasn’t an option.

It’s easy in hindsight but they weren’t obvious choices at the time and outside of Leonard, no one else stands out or made sense to take at pick 28. The Steelers were probably a victim of the board breaking wrong for them and were left with Edmunds. I’m sure they were looking to draft LVE or Rashaan Evans but they didn’t make it to them.

If last season is the best Edmunds is ever going to get, then no, he wasn’t worth it but you can go back and say the same about every other 1st rd pick that doesn’t pan out.

Edmunds needs to build off of his good season last year and have a really good campaign like Bud did.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Bud Dupree games started -66, FF - 8, ints- 1, sacks- 39.5, Solo Tackles- 169, Tackles for loss- 54, PD -11,
    TDs-1,and Qb hits- 65.
    That's really not that slow a start. You can't go by years , but Games Started . You have 2 figure in Coaches decisions , injuries, and other factors.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The point I was making was that before his breakout year, Bud was not living up to his 1st rd status. He was a better player than Edmunds in his first few years for sure but no one would argue Bud would have been worth a 1st had he never broke out. Hell, some now still say he wasn’t worth it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Glad we agree on Coaching.

Teryl Austin made a bigger influence on Terrell than others give him credit for. 2020 was the beginning for Edmudns to come of age in my opinion.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I really hope you're right.

22. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Ok thanks for the response. I'm hoping he has that breakout year this year.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Curious that the Panthers have not picked up his 5th year option? I do not now what the deadline is for picking that up?

Could the Panthers be going QB in the 1st round?

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Those six games are a small sample size, one taken from the part of the season during which the defense around him was at its best. Things declined a little when the lost Bush, then a lot the second half of the season. So yes, those numbers are misleading.

My last sentence is relevant to a discussion of Edmunds and the need by some folks here to lose their minds those rare moments when he actually makes a play.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Who posted that? It wasn't me. It may have been you when you briefly saw reality regarding Edmunds before going back to overrating him.