1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers double dip at the CB position in the 2016 draft?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 1, 2016.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Since the Steelers didn't sign a veteran CB in free agency I say yes, it's only a matter of time until Cortez has his annual flameout. You can never have enough good CBs, the Steelers don't have any :shrug:.

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm on the fence they double dipped last year. So then they'd have 4 drafted corners over the last 2 years with none of them seeing the field in any meaningful way....

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am confused by Steelers actions concerning the CB position, I thought they would retain
    Boykins and cut C Allen. Doesn't look like that is happening?

4. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    True...

Double dipped on garbage last year. LOL.

"Can I have a double dip of s**t please! Hold the mustard! lmfao!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Really? Care to detail why you think that's the case? The jury is still out on both guys. Grant was a solid starting corner on a national champion, and performed well against the best college talent. His rookie year was disappointing, but it's only 1 season. Many, many solid NFL players don't see the field as rookies. Because of his solid tackling, he has the potential to move to free safety, so that's another item in his favor. Golson got an unfortunate injury, and missed the season. The last time we saw him play football, he intercepted 10 passes in the best conference in college football. Included in those 10 ints was an exceptional int over a 6'6" TE in the end zone to seal an upset of Alabama. Oh wait.... He's short, so he's garbage. My bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Don't you know? If you're not 6ft or taller, you can't be a good corner. It's proven. Despite 13 of the top 20 ranked corners by PFF last season being under 6ft tall...

• Like Like x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes, I think they should double dip at CB. Especially if it's their plan to move Grant to safety.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    for me it depends on grant. I know what senquez brings to the table. watched him a lot. if grant is what I hope he can be then no.

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think they need to and will double dip at CB for multiple reasons:

1. Gay isn't getting any younger.
    2. Golson is an unknown
    3. Grant is an unknown
    4. Cockrell is still unpolished.
    5. Allen may never be what we had hope he would be.

I expect we take a corner in round 1, right now I am leaning toward Jackson.
    I expect we take a corner in round 3 or 4 depending on who is there at our position in 3.
    I expect we take a DL in round 2 or 3, but it will be a guy who can play NT and DE in pass situations much like McLendon did.
    I expect to take a OT in round 6 or 7.
    I expect to take an OLB in round 2 or 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep, and if the plan is to keep Grant at corner, then we may want to double dip at safety. None of us know what they're thinking regarding Grant, but I think the odds of getting 2 solid players in the draft is better at safety than at corner. This draft is very deep at safety.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would agree with most of that, but hope there's a safety in rnd 2 if we go CB in 1

12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yes they should Double Dip at corner, with their track record on evaluating CB's lately, even a blind squirrel will find a nut once in a while.... The more they have a better chance that somebody will come through...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I would say NO.

We double dipped last year. Just go get 1 quality CB who can contribute right away.

Would like to keep Cockrell around long term though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Consider you need 5 guys for nickel and 6 for dime...... these are the choices as it stands today. :th jawdrop2:

I think if they pickup 1 CB and 1 S, they should be ok, no need to double up on any one of those positions, in my opinion.

Current Roster CB:
    W Gay
    C Allen
    R Cockerel
    S Golson
    D Grant (CB or S?)
    I Frey
    A Shabazz

Current Roster S:
    M Mitchell
    S Thomas
    R Golden
    R Ventrone
    J Dangerfield
    R Vinopal

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    No, they don't need to double dip at CB this year.

16. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    see, when you put it like that. I say take 3 safeties.lol

17. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I will say this if we take a CB in round one then yes cause I want Harlan Miller or Frankie Williams later on........then maybe they could cut Allen's butt and use that money else where. That would give us some youth and hopefully depth at a very good price the next 3-4 years.

Can you imagine if Golson, Grant and these two we draft this year all pan out to be very good CB's? We would have 4 solid guys locked up for the next 3-4 years hopefully playing at a fairly high level and a very good price. So we would be set for our run with Ben the next 3-4 years, jmo.

18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    No, I don't think they take two CB. I think it's likely they take a CB and a safety in the first four rounds though.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't think we need to, but i think we draft a corner and safety and work the UDFA pool for a couple of those same spots after the draft or very late.:cool:

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I want them to double dip because you have to account for injuries at the position, the only guys we know can play is Gay and Cockrell. If they cut Cortez then all you have as backups is Golson and Grant, Tomlin said he expects to nickel around 70% of the time.

21. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Steel, why so sensitive? LOL.

Steel, I have no faith in Golson whatsoever. That fluke year of 10 passes was just that..a fluke. And judging from where he was drafted, not too many other people put that much stock into that either. Grant may be decent. Of course I could be wrong but you know what? Why was all the Steeler brass at WJIII proday? Not because they had a lot of faith in Golson/Grant. LOL. If Butler/Tomlin were that confident in those two, they wouldn't be having dinner with Alexander and coaching Jackson. I think you have more faith (judging my Tomlin's visits and diners) then Tomlin. I think you should take it up with he and Butler. It's not hard to read those tea leafs.

People act like you talked about their mother or something when you talk about these nobody players. Gzzzz. Relax.

22. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Maybe Golson can play the slot. Let's hope. Because I don't want him on anybody's # 1 WR.

23. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    U say that now. Wait till u see him on the field

24. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Hahahaha..make me a believer. Because no hobbit is going to shut down or even contain A.J. Green. I can see the tears of joy streaming from Green's eyes when he sees Golson line up across from him. lmfao!!

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Talking about not feeling confident in certain players, or saying you want to get rid of a certain player for reason xyz is reasonable. We all do it. Calling Steeler players who haven't even had a chance to set foot on the field things like "garbage" or "hobbits" is bush league, and shows disrespect for the best franchise in professional sports. We're not Brown's fans here. We're Steeler fans. Maybe try acting like a Steeler fan some time.

• Agree Agree x 1