1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shocked Porter is the only coach gone

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Some Pitt writers say Tomlin is actually the one calling the D... so why would Butler take the fall if it is on Mike?

2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    They are struggling to stay under the cap because they don't take advantage of signing bonuses to lower the cap number like other teams do. That sounds great to pay your own players especially if the player is good, but a lot of times they'll bring back garbage players because they "know the system."

3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    This is true. And I think Butler told Tomlin you have to take the Steelers job because you'll never get fired or something akin to that.

4. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I dont know if its beating a dead horse, but if anyone believes the Steelers honored Shaziers last year because its a, for lack of better words, upstanding organization, i think its being a little naive. This team doesnt like to waste or give a cent more then they have to. It would have been a PR nightmare had they denied Shazier and they know it even though they werent obligated to. That being said thats why

-Bell was lowballed
    - Butler is likely to return
    -Boswell was mysteriously placed on IR
    - Brown is likely to return...youre going to take a 2 mil cap hit on Boswell and a 6 mil cap hit on Brown and lose half the money you woud have given bell in the franchise tag??? Not to mention youre not going to get any compensation for when Bell signs with another team and the Steelers arent going to match the offer hes going to get.
    -If boswell doesnt figure out his kicking issues in preseason next year dont be surprised if they find a way to get him out of that contract without having to deal with the salary cap issue.

They already screwed the pooch with Bell by not trading him away immediately after the first franchise tag. Theyre not going to make the same type of detrimental/money mistakes with Brown, Butler, Boswell or any other player or coach under contract. You really think they wouldnt have gotten rid of Porter earlier if it wasnt a money issue?? They let him fulfill his contract even though the results of his work was never anything to rant about.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Running backs coach James Sexton will not be coming back. Tomlin decided to not renew his contract. Heck I actually thought Running backs were a bright spot last year. Shows what I know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry but missed whether Drake was indeed released or not. The reason I bring this up is now the RB coach Saxon has not been renewed. What the heck is with the gutting of the O coaches?

7. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Because... the RB coach dictated that 62% of the time we pass? :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    A quick search I found nothing about Drake being let go. I assume he's still here. Maybe they are just basing their "firings" on the current contract situations. What's the real status of Butlers contract? I'm afraid to look.....

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Maybe, just maybe the Rooneys honor their contracts.
    Bell was lowballed, lol

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We had that discussion last season, a reporter asked Tomlin that and said he wasn't calling the defense. I think Tomlin said he decides if they will play man or zone, but he's not calling the defensive signals.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bell might feel he was lowballed because he didn't get the guaranteed money he wants.

12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Bell should have played basketball. I'm sure he thinks he can get LeBron money if he went that route.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He should take the fall but not necessarily all the blame.
    It was reported last year that Tomlin had taken in a bigger role in the defense. Spending more time in meetings and tweaking things. I don't know how much that translated into actual play calls but it seems it did because players have alluded to two different defenses being called on the same play. There were similar communication issues early this season as well. Just recently I don't remember which game but Tomlin claimed something about not getting a call in on defense because he was busy arguing with the refs about something. Someone with a better memory may be able to pinpoint that better than me.

14. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    If you knew the specifics of the contract you wouldnt be laughing. Youre focusing on the 70. The 70 is not the issue. It could have been much lower than 70 and less years and bell would have agreed to it as long as the fully guaranteed money was right. Ive had to school more than my share of people on here who thought they knew and really knew nothing. Im not going to do it again, but feel free to check my message history.

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Bell tell you this? I'll trust the number crunchers on this one.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    Believe what you want to believe. Theres two sides to every story and in the end the amount that was fully guaranteed to him is not debatable and has not been denied by Bell or the Steelers organization and confirmed by outside sources. What are u going to do with that??? Im sure you have an answer for everything though. Whatever sounds good.

I mean we dont even have to crunch numbers. We can just put 2 and 2 together and look at other star contracts around the league and the fully guaranteed money included in those contracts...especially QBs...Even look at Donaldson and Mack's new contracts.

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    What am I going to do with that? Is having an opinion alright with you? Steelers made the right move imo.
    Bell is a running back, not a good position for guaranteed money.

18. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    Your opinion as to whether it was the right move or not you could have stated from the beginning rather than acting like you actually knew something everybody else didnt . As far as im concerned theres not any good position for football concerning guaranteed money, but it is a big deal in this sport and if anyone deserved fair treatment concerning their contract it was Bell just as much as anybody (i honestly felt like they could have made him the exception) . I dont have a problem with them not paying, as its the organization history not to, as much as i have a problem that they didnt try and trade him immediately before or after the first tag when they KNEW they werent going to pay him the money he was asking for.

19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Dont know if this has been posted anywhere THE Steelers fired their RB coach today

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Yes dear

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. Considering the Steelers could have cut Sean Spence after he destroyed his knee and didn't, it's more likely that they just wanted to do right by Shazier. I don't think Spence huge rookie contract played much of a decision on their part.

And yes, very amusing the low ball baloney. First of all, the Steelers are one of few teams that don't offer huge guarantee contracts so if thats their normal OP, then it's silly to accuse them of lowballing. AB got 19 million guaranteed I believe, don't recall him crying and holding out.

Secondly, no one knows for sure what was offered since no contract was actually signed and thats the only way to ever learn the true numbers since the Steelers don't divulge that information otherwise. I'm not trusting anything that comes out of Bells mouth.

And lastly, lets say the number is correct that is floating around out there. If true, perhaps the Steelers didn't want to guarantee more than that to a guy who has shown to have a 10 cent brain and prior drug suspensions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If Tomlin is calling the D then he is a better ventriloquist than Jeff Dunham cause I hardly ever see his lips move while on the sidelines.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's calling some of it. Ray Fittipaldo reported that Tomlin let it slip during one of his pressers when he said he was responsible for the blown coverage on the Hogan TD in the NE game. Tomlin said he was distracted arguing a call and didn't get the correct formation in.

24. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    What are you yup-ping about?? Im thoroughly confused as to where youre going with your point when you mention Sean Spence and Ryan Shazier in the same sentence. First of all one didnt suffer a career ending injury and second one didnt have nearly the impact on the team and fan appeal that the other did. Third, Spence was a third round pic on a rookie contract...so what are you talking??...3 million at most and that over 4 yrs. We're not talking about 1 yr 10 million. Why didnt you mention Mike Mitchell who clearly was on the outs with his injury and the Steelers released him b4 his contract was up??

Lowballing is by definition. Just because its the norm for the org doesnt mean they arent doing it. Thats one of the most ridiculous analogies you could throw out there. Its like a golf club thats forever denied minorities from participating. Oh, well they've done it forever so its not racism??? You see how stupid that sounds?

So you want to bring up AB...lets bring up AB. He gets 19 mil full guaranteed, 68 mil contract. They offer bell 10 mil full guaranteed, 70 mil. He just as influential to the team and technically more versatile in that he can both run and catch. So you couldnt make him at least 19 guaranteed?? Not that he would have accepted it, but cmon man.

I dont really want to compare the two because as far as im concerned we're talking about two different interests at stake. Just because i ask for more guaranteed money doesnt mean im being greedier or groveling. It just means i want more guaranteed money. my prerogative as a player and its business. If the team honors contracts like you say they do what difference does it make??

To say that no one knows what was offered is bs and you know it. What in the world is a signed contract supposed to prove other than the numbers they both agreed upon? We're talking about numbers that werent agreed upon. Tell me why everybody brings up the 70 million number?? Thats not by accident. People arent just pulling that number out of their rear end. The Steelers organization released the initial numbers of the contract and withheld info on the fully guaranteed part to throw Bell under the bus. Business is business. If you want to hold suspensions over his head you could just build it into the contract that all the guaranteed money becomes payable upon an injury related incident only. If you dont want to pay the guy then trade him immediately after his initial contract is done. Dont try and string him along on franchise tag contracts. Now theyve played themselves and wont get anything for him.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Holy cow you sure are hung up on the Bell situation? It's over time to move on.

• Winner Winner x 1