1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shazier ??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brews Crew, Oct 7, 2016.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I do not think adding weight will cure his injury woes. Darron Lee is of a similar body type like Shazier but has yet to get hurt.

2. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That would be fine.... except he is not as good in coverage as one believes.

Shazier is good for flat coverages. For deep zone? I'd steer clear.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is exactly why I am afraid of the Hybrid player. Can't take the physical aspect
    of the NFL week after week. When we draft our OLB next year he should be atleast be as big
    as Bud Dupree to better take on 325 pd O Linemen. Can't help you if you aren't on the field.

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011

Glass Joe.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Perhaps Shazier is the RGIII of LBers. Lots of talent but he doesn't have the build to make it a season healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Where's Bud Dupree?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    He is not playing Sunday.. snowflake lol guess Shazier has a new nickname. Hence from this day forward Ryan Shazier will be known as Snowflake lol

• Like Like x 2
  8. SteelersForLife

SteelersForLife Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    And every snowflake is unique

9. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Troy wasn't good at deep coverage either. Let him jump routes and lineup all over the place and play the ball.

10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There's no way to predict the "injury factor" regardless of position or the type of player that gets drafted. Adding size or muscle may or may not help him remain healthy. Moving him to OLB or the secondary may or may not help him remain healthy. Playing him situationally may or may not help him stay healthy. I am not even sure he has the fluidity or change of direction ability necessary to play in the secondary.

The Steelers will need to determine the risk vs reward regarding Shazier to determine if he's worth a sizable contract extension. He's definitely a difference maker when he's on the field. The Steelers could offer him an incentive based contract. I doubt his agent will go for it. Another team will definitely take a risk on Shazier with the hope that he can be lucky and remain healthy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Shazier isn't a bust, he has been productive when healthy. Now Jarvis is a bust 5 sacks in 4 years.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Troy's instincts supercedes Ryan's. He has not developed them to that extent yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They haven't missed Shazier these last 2 games.

14. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I disagree. They were vulnerable underneath all day yesterday. Even in the second half receivers were open up the middle and they just dropped the ball. I think Shazier has one of the few ints we have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I agree. He may be the only "playmaker" we have on the defense. I'm glad VW has played well in his absence, but we miss the havoc that Shazier can create that VW could never in his wildest dreams. The TFL, the FF, the INT.

16. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    The difference between kendrell bell and shazier is shazier has a different injury every time he makes a play which is very concerning bell on the other hand had the high ankle sprain and we kept pushing him out there and it never healed right. Bell was on his way to maybe one of the best inside linebackers careers ever. That was a shame.........

17. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I totally disagree. Once Bell was asked to do more than attack he fell off. Once he had to read and react he couldn't do it. A high ankle sprain is rough but not career theatening. His football IQ wasn't very high. I was in the ARMY with a guy that played high school ball with him and he said Bell was pretty dumb.

18. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Well, we better have Shazier back for the Pats game. Gronk and Bennett are a dangerous duo.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, I was listening to Pat Kirwan yesterday, and he said that he was talking with Cowher Sunday during the game. The two of them agreed that Shazier should be moved to the outside in our scheme. Kirwan has said this numerous times in the past couple of years, and I've tended to discount it because he's spread pretty thin covering all 32 teams in depth. However, Cowher probably still has a solid handle on what we're trying to do, and what we need in an OLB, so Cowher taking that view on Shazier is interesting.

I personally think of Shazier as a perfect WOLB in a 4 man front, but not as an edge guy in a 3-4. I think his best position in a 3-4 is exactly where we have him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And yet VW has led the defense in tackles 2 weeks in a row and had a sack in each game and has about 6 TFLs, I dont think creating havoc is on the same level as getting tackles, shazier has 12 individual tackles and vince has 25, vince is creating havoc in his own way, and one important factor is he can actually be counted on to play a whole game....

21. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well you'll get to see VW start on a regular basis next season... it will just be alongside Shazier instead of in his place haha

In all honesty tho VW and Shazier aren't on the same planet as players. Ryan can bring so much more. Vince is always around the ball and is a quality run stuffer, which are both good traits, but he is limited athletically. He can't move side to side like Shazier, he doesn't shoot gaps and wreak havoc in the backfield like Shazier, he can't run with backs and TEs like Shazier. He just simply doesn't have the ability to impact the game like Shazier can. Against the higher end teams (Den, NE) it's going to really hurt us if Shazier is unavailable.

I'm not even trying to knock Vince. He's a fine player, but he just isn't the same type of player. He isn't a game changer like Shazier has shown he can be (SF and Cindy playoff game last year to name just a couple). Shazier was having an excellent season prior to his injury too. I hope he can be back for the NE game. We're gonna need him

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Of course shazier is more athletic, but damn I get tired of wondering in what quarter he is going to tap out, the guy is a china doll and at some point we need to know if it's his conditioning or is he just prone to injury, you do know staying on the field is an important factor when considering a players future here ????

23. SteelersForLife

SteelersForLife Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    News Update:
    [​IMG] "Due to a Steelers forums member suggestion, Shazier has packed on the pounds to avoid being called a "snowflake". "

24. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The only injury you could argue was a China Doll injury would be the shoulder and even that was a brutal hit. These are sprains yinz act like he is sitting out saying he has a bruise. You can't prevent strains and sprains ask Pouncey. I would say he has been unlucky.

25. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Sure you want him active. I do too. The good news is that he hasn't sustained anything that is threatening long term. The bad news is that these sprains have kinda added up. He's now missed some time in each of his first three years.

Who knows if Williams would stay healthy if he played a full season though. It's getting tougher and tougher to avoid injuries every year.