1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shazier versus CB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerBark, Aug 17, 2014.

1. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I was amongst the many screaming for a CB. But I am glad management drafted #50. He was a beast last night. Fun to watch. I'll be screaming for a CB next year, I am sure; nonetheless, Shazier has the potential to be a very special player for the 'Burgh. Love the WOW factor he brings to this team. And with all these new dumb NFL flag football rules, speed is the way to go on DEF.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was saying this the other day, would have loved to have had Fuller on this team but I'm glad the Bears took him, Shazier was absolutely the right choice, it all starts up front. Couldn't fix everything in one draft.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I think initially when he was drafted, most people were like "huh?", because he wasn't getting the local and national media attention that the CB's and WR's were getting- Dennard, Gilbert, Benjamin et al. Kid's a play maker with a nose for the ball. He's going to be fun to watch for years to come.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    agreed. WoW:eek::cool:

5. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I was definitely shocked by the pick in May, not because I was hoping for a corner but because I wanted C.J. Mosely. I went to the game last night still questioning if Shazier was gonna pan out. After the first quarter all my questions were answered. He was everywhere last night even special teams. He made so many tackles, at one point the PA announcer got tired of saying, "Shazier on the tackle" and just said "Shazier!" He was outstanding and is certainly the answer to today's offenses.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wanted a CB at #15, I still think they would've drafted Gilbert or Fuller if they were still on the board. Shazier is proving to be the right pick.

7. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    All quarter long from the play call was "Shazier".

Was like a one man Defense out there.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I guess the world will never know, but who cares? :smiley1:

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    So true. Bob Pompeani was like a broken record.

10. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    Finally said, "Who else? Shazier again!"

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I wanted to go CB so bad I could taste it, but Shazier has shown already he was a good pick.

But I am not ready to abandon the fact that we needed a CB just as bad . We will need to see how we defend the pass against the better passing Teams if they pick our CB'S apart and cost us games it could cool the love for the LB pick.

12. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    My thoughts were Fuller followed by Gilbert, but Shazier honestly wasn't someone that I watched a lot. He has been nothing short of hugely impressive.

This D has been getting a turnover very quietly. Other than the DBs this team defensively is VERY young. When you realize this for our depth....

Dline....2nd team doesn't have 1 play in the NFL and may be completely rookies in McCullers, Tuitt, and Mauro.

LB....Moats and Timmons are the old men. Shazier, Spence, V. Williams, Garvin, and J. Jones (maybe H. Jones) are all guys added to this roster in the last 3 years.

DB....this is the spot with old men. Troy and Ike add age. W. Allen and Gay don't help either with age. We didn't do it this past draft, but soon we will focus on this position.

13. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    yep!! exactly what I've said!

14. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    Couldn't believe he fell to us. Him or Moseley, and they chose right.
    He's better than a CB, because you put the pressure up front it makes mediocre seconds looks good. In the Steeler system a LB like Shazaam will at times be cover. His speed, faster than fuller's, allow him the ability to do so.

Now, follow it up this pick w/ a stud CB and now you're talking!

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When evaluating NFL talent, players with big motors will always get the benefit of the doubt,
    also ones that like to hit that are not afraid of
    contact will always get the same. If these type players fail, it won't be for the lack of trying.
    Heart does mean something,and so does liking the game of football.If it is toss up talent wise,
    I am always taking the guy with the big motor,
    and does he love the game? Sean Spence anyone?

16. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I really liked this from the start just because he will really hurt teams like NE who do their damage with TEs. Having a LB that has speed, quickness, agility and can hit is going to be awesome and the biggest help is going to be the fact he can run with any TE in the league. If this team makes it to the play-offs you know it is almost certain that we will have to play the cheatriots and having a LB that can get to the QB quick or cover the TE will really hamper that type of offense. We saw how bad speed kills with the Seahawks, Manning will pick any defense apart when he has time but disrupt his rhythm and timing and he isn't so good.

17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

took the words right out of my mouth

18. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was so disappointed when we didnt draft a CB but I was wrong. I LOVE Shazier already.