1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shazier alludes to playing again?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Twitter banter....Steelers would need to be rock solid sure he isn't at risk or they'll never let him see the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelers2018

Steelers2018 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    He was the leader of the Defense. He loves those guys and he absolutely loves football. His life IS football. I’m very pro active on twitter and I take this 100% as he is going to do everything possible to come back and play. Wether he’s able to we will see. There have been players that have come back from that injury before. One I remember is Jermichael Finley. He’s not saying that to say I’ll be on the sideline that doesn’t really make any sense

5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe he’s the next D coach.
    He needs a mic to a helmet

6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe he's going work hard as if he could play again . .but make it to where he can just walk again....aim high just fall short kind of thing

If he does make it back and perform at the same level..it'll probably get turned into a movie

• Like Like x 1
  7. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I like his attitude! That’s half the battle right there. I’m pulling for him. I’d say if anyone can overcome this stuff, it’s him.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I could definitely see that happening.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Be that as it may, we still need to draft one early if not round one.

Rashaan Evans or Malik Jefferson. Either or would be solid fits assuming either falls.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If having the goal of returning to play helps Shazier in his rehab and working toward his recovery, great! Good for him. I have my doubts, but I'm for whatever he can use for motivation.

11. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Love his attitude!From a mental standpoint it doesn’t get better than that!Not a neurosurgeon so I couldn’t elaborate on the physical aspect of his injury!Just the mindset of a professional athlete like Ryan will help him tremendously!I wish him the best with all his goals and wouldn’bet against him achieving those goals!!

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He has to have a positive attitude or depression would move in. And until he is proven wrong, keep the goal lofty and aim for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I would think any objects placed in or around the spine that is required to stay there permanently effectively ends the career of someone in this type of sport playing his position. I would be highly surprised if he stepped on the field again in any capacity other than a supporting role on the sideline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Finley never played again after his injury.

15. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I guess I read that as him saying he'll be back and playing. Time will tell, but right now, I'd just love to hear some good news regarding his ability to walk and move around.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats what he's been doing though, he's been showing up at practice and at games to support his brothers.

I hope it does mean the other because that means he had a full recovery but man, Ill be holding my breath every tackle.

17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    A couple of weeks ago his dad said he was gonna play again so I honestly believe his intention is to do what it takes to get back on the field. If he does he better learn how to tackle better or the results might be much worse next time as in complete paralysis. I hope that he can return to the field but not sure if would be able to play at that high of level that he had before.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    same thing i was thinking. :cool:

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I know someone who broke their back wrestling in High school. He has a steel plate and screws in his back and he went on to wrestle in college.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Curious to know what you think about this:

After several scary injuries have happened in football, and all recent research on CTE, there are many voices telling people to stay away from THIS sport not just because CTE, but other major risks (among them, Shazier's kind of injury)
    Some of those voices have even said that this kind of injuries (like Shazier's) should be enough to raise awareness about the risks of this sport...

However, a guy that has had a real life awful injury is doing anything he can do to make his way back and play, while still in his wheelchair. And, IMHO, Shazier's motivation to go back to football is way beyond any contract or money.

21. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I’m just happy that the guy can walk. It would be icing on the cake if he can play again, but don’t know how smart it is. Although it’s hard for a player of any sport to hang it up at a young age.

22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It would be a complete miracle and an undoubtedly blessing from God Almighty himself.

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Like said, keeping himself motivated with the idea of playing again will keep him moving forward in his recovery hopefully keeping depression from setting in. Personally I would just like to see him walk again first. His recovery is now in the hands of science and medical professionals...

24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Anyone saying he will or won't play again is basing that on nothing. Even if you are a doctor, unless you have looked at his chart, you have no idea about his prognosis.

Since the day of his injury, I've been hopeful he plays again. Of course walking is the priority, but it's possible to wish for more than one thing at a time. I want the dude to be back on the field, we need him.

25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Bingo. Too many people on here and in the media are playing doctor. Besides, two different guys can have the exact same injury and both guys could have very different outcomes. There are people who have walked after doctors told them they would never walk again, and there's people who have died after doctors told them their disease was beatable. Medicine isn't an exact science by any means.