1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shaquem Griffin

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 9, 2018.

1. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I agree as long as the play is in front of him. If he has to pursue a guy to his left or cover a guy then he can't reach out with his left hand.

I think he has to play the RILB spot and would be great as a run stopper for any RB trying to go up the middle or around the left side of the OL. He wouldn't be as good in coverage and he might miss tackles if he has to pursue to the left side of the field.

Like it or not a guy like this, that you can only play on the RILB spot, is a problem for teams. Vince Williams can play LOLB or RILB, and so can Matakevich.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats rich coming from all the inaccurate gibberish and silly things you have been spewing.

Thanks captain obvious. I may use that for my tag.

Fact is, tackling hasnt been a real big problem for him, so yeah, his past success proves you wrong. Try again.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

So winning defensive player of the year in a conference with the challenges he faces means nothing? Intriguing considering you did state he will never be able to tackle nor generate turnovers. To become a defensive player of any conference, tackling is key; generating turnovers being the other. Otherwise, he should have not even been on the voting list and nevermind consideration.

For your second answer, speed is not the reason he gets drafted at all. It is a major component but only a component overall. When I said skillset I am talking about his abilities in coverage or even when rushing the passer. When evaluating a player as a scout, focusing on just his athletic traits alone will likely land you in the unemployment line. The player needs to be studied from all angles and see what that individual does best and what he needs to improve upon.

All that being said, whether you like him or not because of something he is used to and can play without is very irrelevant. He is an easy late second/early third draft choice as I see it. More than likely, some NFL teams see this the same.

All prospects have their shortcomings; some more severe than others. If I am an NFL Scout for an NFL Team, I am looking for players that not only just have the desire to play but are impressive doing so. With that, I must say;

Shaquiem Griffin is quite the guy even with his issues.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    And you seem obsessed with my obsession to not like Evans. If he stole my lunch money he would look like Griffen X 2.:smiley1::cool:

5. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

So, to you, the writing team, Griffin's story is the best so therefore we should draft him with a high pick?

Being a defensive player of the year is key? What NFL rule says that defensive players of the year get drafted in the 1st round or 2nd round?

Defensive players of the year get turnovers? 1 interception in '17 and 1 in '16 and 0 in '15. Only two interceptions in three years is probably well below average for a linebacker.

When you said skillset you weren't talking about speed but coverage? Uh, yeah, in coverage Griffin had 3 passes broken up, a very below average number. So you have assumed that he is good in coverage when the stats show that he is not. Now, one stat that he has that is pretty good is sacks, with 7, and tackles for a loss at 13.5 and those are probably because of his speed and he can make the hit and wrap up those players in front of him.

Griffin is a late 2nd to early 3rd draft choice? Why not at #28? What's wrong with him?

Where ever he gets drafted doesn't mean I want the Steelers to take him that high. I have OT Orlando Brown and CB JC Jackson rated high too but I wouldn't draft either of them in any round.

Shaquem Griffin is quite the guy? He is, what does that have to do with football?