1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shaquem Griffin

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Kind of surprised the Steelers havent met with him at all. No combine, pro day or private visit (not that I saw anyway).

Hes the type of character guy and story they love. Plus hes super fast and could play ILB.

I know people are concerned about him having one hand but he still manages to tackle.

I was going to predict that the Steeler will draft him in the 3rd, a rd earlier then most teams probably would but with no meeting, thats not likely. Still time for that to change though.

1) Jessie Bates III, S, Wake Forrest
    2) Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis or Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn (I think they go offense rd 2)
    3) Shaquem Griffin, LB, Central Florida

I would actually be quite happy with those first 3 picks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    I’m a big fan, I think rd four is the sweet spot to draft him, but wouldn’t be shocked if he’s grabbed at the bottom of the third. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes a steal in rd five. Hard to say if teams view his physical lmitations as a huge concern.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    More tackles, more sacks, more tackles for loss, more passes defended and two more picks than Evans with one less hand. Now that's a hybrid. :roflmao:
    Sorry I had to do it.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    The team doesn't always meet with guys they draft.

I think the hand is going to be a problem in the NFL. Think of the times when a defensive player has had to reach out with one hand and grab a player's jersey or reach out to deflect a ball or even make an interception with one hand. It's not all the time but Griffin cannot make those plays. If you take away the exceptional play ability then you have an average player.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They almost exclusively draft guys they have in for a private interview. It's rare when they draft a player they didn't meet on any level.

He's been siliencing doubters all along, I think he'll continue too. Whoever drafts him will get a good productive give all player.

I hope to see him in a Steelers uni.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I love Griffin, would love to be able to get him in the fifth or if we trade out and pick up a fourth. But I have to take exception with TheMatrix above, and I know its probably just semantics, but "if you take away his exceptional play ability you have just an average player" may be the least logical thing I've read on here since "we can't draft a quarterback because it will hurt Ben's feelings" (see thread on TSL draft- Steelers selections).

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Griffen is a legit 2nd round talent.

He should be on the radar at #60.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Honestly, if they think with his speed and size he can translate to strong safety, I would be right up there with you.

9. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

The Steelers almost exclusively draft guys they have in for a private interview? Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I don't remember them having WR Smith-Schuster in for a visit.

Griffin has been silencing doubters all along? So he's #1 or #2 or #3 on somebody's ILB ranking now? Because if he is I sure haven't seen it. Everyone has him somewhere in the 3rd to 5th round.

I would love to see him in a Steelers uniform too, as a 5th round or later pick.

10. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Shazier has pulled in interceptions with his LEFT hand. Griffin can't do that.

Our defense has had trouble tackling so how do you add a player who can't grab with both hands? If every play stays in front of Griffin and he just has to wrap up with his arms to make the tackle, that's fine, if he has to pursue and make the grab to his left, the guy is gone.

And saying that we should draft a one handed ILB is like saying "Sure, I'll ride in the elevator with you Ray Rice."

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes and yes

*Actually I should say first Rd picks are almost exclusively prospects they met with. So yes, Griffin has a good chance of being in play, you're correct.

12. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Do you like to watch movies with gladiators? Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
    See, I can do that too.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't see how my answering yes to your questions is the same as acting juvenile :shrug:

I did go back and say it is primarily in regards to the first Rd. Maybe you missed that.

Griffin has totally proven doubters wrong. How is that even debatable. Told he couldn't play college, proved them wrong. Told he won't be invited to the combine, was not only invited but lit it up. Proved them wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :scratch:

15. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

Who are these "doubters" that doubted Griffin's ability to play in college? Are they real college scouts or are they just people from his neighborhood?

If colleges really doubted his ability to play then he would have never made a college team, or been invited to the combine.

And the only thing Griffin really proved was that he is really quick but even so he is always going to miss some plays because he doesn't have that left hand.

16. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    You gotta admit, that was funny!

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Psst, you're a doubter, you doubt he can play in the NFL. There are literally 1,000 of people doubting him for the same reason you are and hes been faced with that all his life.

He just keeps succeeding.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i still say we put a hook on there like a pirate and have him steal tom toms jewels. :smiley1::cool:

19. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    I don't doubt it one bit. I expect him to be drafted and I expect him to play in the NFL but a lot of guys play in the NFL. What I said was the missing hand is going to affect his play. He is going to miss some plays because he can't grab on with his left side. The only doubt I have is whether or not he can make plays with his left hand because he doesn't have one.

If he is "succeeding" so much then how come no one has him ranked as their top LB after running an amazing 40 time?

20. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    too bad they're already in his wife's purse! :p

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sounds like doubt to me. Of course he is going to play in the NFL, does anyone thing he will go undrafted.

Youre doubting whether he can succeed at the NFL level. Just like you are calling into question whether he has succeeded up until this point. Wow, really?

Try not using our hand for just an hour and then get back to me and tell me what this guy has accomplished isn't amazing. Effing people are unreal.

22. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

I doubt he can use his left hand to make plays because he doesn't have one.

Do I doubt he can play? No, but he can't make plays with his left hand because he doesn't have one. Is that some doubt, yes. Is that complete doubt that he can run around and make a play here and there, no.

We can also take a guy in the 7th round who can make a play here and there.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You doubt he can succeed at the NFL level. Just own it.

He'll do a lot better than make a play here and there.

24. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Define success.

25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    No. The reason we can't draft a quarterback is because it makes no sense to do. Ben's feelings are irrelevant.