1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Several teams interested in trading for Wallace

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Apr 12, 2012.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I am a bit surprised by the eagerness some people have to get rid of Wallace. Ok, they guys seems a bit immature, but he's 25 and a hell of a talent. This is the kind of thing you want your favorite team to amass, not get rid of.

He hasn't got into trouble with the law, or a fight in a bar, or beat up his lady. So he has a big ego. So do about 50 other guys in that locker room.

As far as his demands. It looks like no one is going to give up a 1st round pick to get his rights and that's no suprise. His only options are : 1) sign the tender and try to negotiate a long term bigger money deal 2) Sign the tender, earn $2.7 MM in 2012, become a FA in 2013 3) Hold out, get nothing and still be Steeler property in 2013.

I flat out guarantee you he ain't doing #3. I'm sure we wants a big contract, and he's gonna get it. But signing the tender still gives him a 500% raise in 2012. He'll probably decide that isn't really too bad.

If he wants to throw a tantrum in April, miss OTAs, not sign his tender until the last minute. Fine. Let him, I won't hurt him much. If he extends his hold out into June, then he's just flat out stupid.

2. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    AMEN!!

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There is no way they can pay him Fitz money.

Wallace is still a 1 trick pony at this point, maybe two because he does pretty well on the quick slant. He has a long ways to go to be a complete #1 receiver.

This will be a telling season. He either is going to show signs of improving and wanting to become that true number one receiver, or he is just going to continue to try get by on his speed.

If its just trying to get by, than I think you might want to consider moving him. What happens once age and injury takes that extra gear from him?
    What does he have left?

4. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    I've come to my own conclusion that no team is interested in this guy....

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well, apparently one, the Steelers did tender him an offer. Apparently a fair one.

6. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Listen to some of his interviews and rethink your statement. He's got "DIVA" written all over him! He's as good a goner anyways, when he's a free agent next year. He wants the big bucks and that's not the way the Steelers roll. The Steelers pay their team as a whole pretty well. They distribute the wealth to all, for the most part, not just one individual. The resigning of Cotchery is an indication to me that they will trade him on draft day.

Swap first round picks with the Vikings and draft Kalil. :yeehaw:

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Good lord. :frustrated:

So just because he still has room for improvement, that means he's not a true number one? I got news for you guys. Not everyone is perfect, even number one receivers. Hines Ward was #1 here for a long time, and no one around here would argue that he wasn't a true #1, because he was. We talk about him being one of the most complete receivers ever because of his blocking and general attitude towards the game, but was he complete? Hell no, not even close. He couldn't outrun anybody and I'm not sure I remember a single deep ball ever completed to him. He did have long plays with lots of YAC, but a long bomb? Not an option with Hines. That not only took away a dimension for our offense with him, but it allowed defenses to play aggressively against him without worry.

Wallace is not only the best deep threat in the game, but he DOES do other routes, and he does them well. Including slants and drags over the middle. He does break tackles. He does have good hands. He is not Andre Johnson or Carl Pickens when it comes to adjusting to a poor throw, but he does it alright. He does it sometimes. People just don't like to remember those plays. Does he have room to get better? Yes. Does that mean he's a one trick pony? Apparently to message boarders.

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Wallace can only go deep... Mendenhall can only "dance" and never runs forward...

Given that us Steelers fans watch the Steelers more than anyone else does, we can be remarkably inattentive over our own players.

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

So many people are just slaves to their interests. They see what they want to see. I can sort of understand that, but I don't know why so many of them choose to see things that are not in the team's interest, like Mendenhall being soft or Wallace having bad hands. Why would you manipulate a positive truth into something negative?

During my grading project, I have definitely learned that I was wrong about some things. But I've also learned that I was extremely right about other things (like Mendenhall) and it just drives me crazier and crazier to see people going off about stuff that doesn't exist.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

:thumbs_up: can't wait to see your work? does this feel like your taking a class and your working your way to your final? LOL :lolol: :cool:

11. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :thumbsup:

Does everyone seem to forget the kind of numbers he was putting up in the early part of this past season? People were talking about Wallace being a top 3 WR in the NFL. And I can't say for sure with regards to this board, but I know of many forums where fans were all over the Wallace bandwagon during the beginning of last season when he was blowing up, and after teams started to double cover him and his numbers dropped (while Browns numbers took off) a lot of those same fans were calling him a one trick pony and now want him gone.

12. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think as far as piling on , we as die hard fans don't like to see any one player step into the disgruntled role. Even if they really are not yet we can smell this kind of stuff and get defensive.

13. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I get that completely.

What i don't get is how some can bash on Wallace as if he's a bust and act like he brings nothing to the table. Especially those that were on his jock early in the season and now act like he's second rate material.

14. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why would we trade him for a 2nd rounder when we have a first round tender on him? That's a move only the raiders would do, or maybe the bungles.