1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Several teams interested in trading for Wallace

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Apr 12, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would love it if we could trade him for an early 2nd round pick and draft Janoris Jenkins with that pick. I know, I know, Jenkins has had a lot of off field problems, but he appears to have turned his life around and is trying desperately to prove he has matured. Last season he offered to take drug tests and he passed them all. A lot of experts have this kid as the best CB in the draft, even ahead of Claiborne. Many say he's the best man-to-man CB since Revis.

We need a CB like this.

3. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    This would open it up to teams like the Rams (if they don't get Blackmon), Colts, Vikings, Jaguars, etc. that would be interested but obviously aren't going to give up their first rounder for him... but maybe their 2nd.

4. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If Wallace were to get traded and we got a decent pick or picks in return, I'd be able to swallow it.
    I'm almost certain the steelers won't, but if they do trade him for just a 4 or 5 round pick???? I'll refuse to like Antonio brown, or any other receiver on our team from here on out. I'm sick of getting to like these guys just to lose them all the time.

5. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    It stinks... Al Davis is dead and the Redskins don't have any picks because they traded them all to the Rams...

Either of those teams would've sold the farm for Wallace normally.

6. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Wallace leaves the Steelers before te start of the season either via a trade or another team offering him a boatload of money before the 16th, then will someone please explain to me how our passing offense will survive? Playcalling is one thing, but if no Wallace on one side, then teams will double up on Brown and then who is been going to throw to or stretch the field with? Sanders (he can't stay healthy)? Crotchery ( he's a better version of hines)? Health (he's a decent reciever, but a TE)? WHO???????

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I hope you are joking. Sanders will be fine and can stretch the field. Brown can run all the routes not juat two. Cotch is a solid third option and has great hands. Im sure if wallace leaves you can bet we will grab a tall wr in the top 3three rounds. This team will be fine without wallace. Whens the last time somebody brought in a big time wr and went to the super bowl. Wrs are replaceable arguably the easiest position to replace. We won the super bowl with ward el and wilson. Personally im taking brown sanders and cotch over those that group. Also haley is going to have the threat of a running game so that helps out a lot as well. We are the pittsburgh frickin steelers you really think losing a wr is going to cripple this team if so you havent been paying attention.

8. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Randy Moss, New England patriots,
    The jets brought in santonio and almost went to the bowl. Not being a smartass, I agree with you it rarely happens but it does.

People do miss tho that Wallace gets alot of attention whether he gets the ball or not. We would survive without him of course ( we'd have to) but hes not easily expendable, whether you think he's just a "one trick pony" or not it's a very good trick that keeps defenses worried and on their heels. Wallace is a little more of a special player than he gets credit for around here.

9. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The same can be said about a running game. Sanders ran a 4.3 wallace a 4.27. Personally i think sanders has the better hands as well. Im not taking aeay ehat wallace does but losing him would not bother me one bit.

10. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm not sure what you're talking about in the first part... but I totally agree with you. I thought the hate that wallace was getting was totally unwarranted and the people saying "Brown is better anyway," really are crazy to think he'd be that good without Wallace.

However things have changed. Wallace is not going to be with this team for the long term, so we might as well get something for him while we can.

11. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So I guess a few of you are 100% confident that Sanders can stay healthy for a full season? I'm not, until he proves he can! Then what. Oh wait, draft a tall WR in the 3rd round or so, like some have suggested and "hope" that rookie makes a difference. REALLY? It's not too often a third rounder or lower makes an immediate impact on the field for the Pittsburgh Steelers.....they judt don't usually allow that to happen!

12. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    2nd rounder? No. First rounder in 2013. That could land us a top 5 pick.

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It's called Team ball.....Not meaning to beat the dead horse ,but it needs it at this time.....BA had no clue,,,,period.......So a good OC will use all his peeps.....A good OC will actually use the run game to set up the pass game and use the pass to set up the run.....

With such a system Wallace is really not needed and here is why.....Wallace fails to block well....Wallace hardly ever hustles between plays.......Wallace never runs great decoy routes......Wallace is a me guy and all the signs point to that.....The signs are just what I listed above and his young money show me the money attitude...He fails to come up big in big games,heck he hardly even shows up.....Ask yourself why?....Well the answer is right here in your post....

The bottom line is you can't Coach Heart and you can't Coach Team Work......Any player who thinks he is bigger than the TEAM needs to go.....All signs point to Wallace as that guy....If that be the case then its a lot better to play without him and its a whole lot better if we can same money and add Quality to the whole Team by moving him on.....

Mark my words ,,,we have seen the best of Mike Wallace and a lot of NFL people feel this is the smart bet.......He is going to be a big contract bum so the question is who pays it?We will not.....He will not sign a 50 or 60 Mil deal just wait and see....I am sure the Steelers have made him a fair offer ,but he is a money guy and once he gets it the odds are great its down hill from there.....IMO this is why Colbert made the hard sell....

14. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Will someone please explain to ME what part of the Steelers way they do not understand? The Steelers have never, and will never be held hostage by a single player out to make a big payday. I know - people will say that Ben got a big payday, but it was the STEELERS who were the initiators of that deal - not Big Ben. Somehow, the offense, the defense, the team, the system and the philosophy all seem to survive, year after year. For over 40 YEARS, this team has been THE dominant team in the NFL. That should say something about how things work in Pittsburgh.

That being said - the sky will NOT fall if the Steelers trade Wallace. If they sense that he plans to hold the team hostage with his demands, and won't play for what they are entitled to offer him while they negotiate a new deal, they will seek to get good value for him and say "buh-bye". Good wide receivers are not hard to come by in this league at this point. Great ones may be difficult to find, and high-priced, but they will have someone who steps up and produces at a respectable level. There was shock when Santonio was traded - and HE was a Super Bowl MVP! Wallace hasn't approached that level yet, and might not. Yet - because he does not have the character issues Holmes had, there is a very good chance the Steelers can get MORE value from Wallace than they did from Holmes.

If Wallace wants to remain a Steeler, he needs to understand that it is not about HIM. It is about TEAM - and the payday will come. And - lastly, Wallace picked a bad time to take this kind of tactic, because Brown's performance last year, Sanders return, and the re-signing of Cotchery, along with the upcoming draft make him expendable. The Steelers might actually end up BETTER off if they are able to get a high draft choice from a bad team for him rather than risk the possibility that he lose value by having a full season like his 2nd half last year. And if you think that it is the attention to Wallace that made Brown so productive last year, other teams won't buy it if it happens two years in a row. Then what are we left with? 4th round? 5th round?

I think the Steelers need to call Wallace's bluff and let him know that they are shopping his talents. Let him decide if he wants to be on the BEST team in the NFL or end up on one of the REST.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I get a bit tired of seeing all these posts talking about Wallace's motivations and 'true steelers' and whatnot. But I do agree with you that Wallace is picking an odd time to play primadonna (if that is, indeed, what he is doing). His stock can only really fall from here.

However, I also wonder if we're being a bit optimistic about what teams would offer. 2nd round at most, I reckon, if not a 3rd. If teams know we want off of him, then they aren't going to high ball their offers.

16. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I've been saying this all the time.We have to sign wallace before the draft and the reason why?....because if we let the draft go by and teams do not get the wr that they wanted in the draft then they would immediately go after wallace.Giving us their 1st rd draft pick next year instead of this year.We can tell if the steelers plan on keeping wallace for real byhow they go about the draft.Remember when they let holmes go after drafting brown and sanders?

18. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    People saying the offense won't survive. I realize it may take a hit in the short term... but would you rather have Wallace this year and then he's gone OR not have him this year and get a draft pick out of it. I also think we'd be okay with Cotchery playing more snaps. I think he's about what Hines was 3 years ago, runs good routes, good hands, just not a burner. I'd be cool with Brown, Sanders, Cotch, mid-round rookie.

Huge, I'd be all over a future first rounder too if we could get it. I keep thinking maybe the Rams make a play for Wallace. They really need weapons for Bradford and there's rumors they really like Fletcher Cox, but probably have to take Blackmon. Giving us something for Wallace lets them take the defender they want at #6, and they have a ton of picks stock piled from Washington.

19. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if he want too much i would trade him to st luis for their 2nd and third

20. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Here's a scenario that I don't understand hasn't been discussed more. I'm not sure if there's a reason it's impossible or improbable, but I'm just wondering:

Why can't we find a team to trade him to, get him and that team to agree to a long-term contract, sign him and trade him for a 2013 first round draft pick? This could happen after the draft. Isn't that what happened with Bryant McFadden in 2010, when we got him from the Cardinals? That would work out for Wallace because he would still have some kind of say in where he plays and still get paid, and it would work for us because we get a draft pick that is at least as high as we could have gotten this year (#30 was a popular guess) and potentially very high, like top 10 or top 5 if he goes to the right (wrong) team.

A lot of teams out there for some reason value a future 1st as a current 2nd, so we might even be able to get more, like a 2012 3rd and a 2013 1st. The amount some people go for these days, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we could charge well more than he's worth.

Can anyone tell me why it hasn't been discussed? Is it not an option for some reason?

21. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    the pick they got in the Holmes trade they used it to daft Brown not to you but SMDH at all the he is not a Steelers type of team player being a "steelers team player" where did that end up getting Hines!

22. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
  23. BigBen7

BigBen7 Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ed Bouchette ? @EdBouchette : “@MOver_413: @EdBouchette rumblings mike Wallace gonna be traded... What you got on this?” ain't happening 10:58 PM - 12 Apr 12 via Twitter for iPad

24. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Wow it seems Wallace is trying to play hardball with the Steelers. I hope he's smart enough to realize the Steelers don't give in to premadona demands. If we trade him I think it should be for a first or mutiple picks that add up to a first rounder. If we can't get that let him sit. A year on the sidelines might clean up his attitude. I may be wrong but if he holds out and doens't sign he would be a restricted free agent again next year; Right?

We gave Holmes away to make a point to the team for his off the field incidents. Wallace doesn't have anything like that but his attitude seems to be from the Bungles roster not the Steelers. Mabe we should pare him with the self described best QB in the league (Flaco). They can get together and dream about how they are as good a Peyton, Jerry Rice, Larry Fitzgerald or John Elway. Haha yea right neither are in the same area code!

25. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I don't think he is, but he should realize that the Steelers don't do those games, and I love that about them. When Hines held out they said if you wanna come in we'd be happy to talk, but as long as you're not here we're going to continue as if you're not with the team.

It works.