1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

seriously concerned about ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Dec 3, 2018.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    i have been a huge supporter for years and I know this team is probably a 4 win team right now without him. ben is good for a couple of stinkers each year and a few bad decisions a game but its gotten worse. the decisions are still bad but know he is missing some throws he just didn't miss before.

the pass to hunter I get. he was SO wide open it happens. last nigh he was even overthrowing guys in the flat.
    don't get me wrong. he is still a great qb but the pick in the red zone hurt. this is not ther first game for sure. I bet half his picks have come in the red zone. I aint sure on that but seems like it

the one play that made me think about maybe him being a different qb was the second to last drive. 2nd and 10 I think. he steps up in the pocket and looked like he could have easily ran for at least 10 yards or I know gained 7. he thru a pass straight down the middle. it was short of everyone and never in danger but I was like what the hell?

I said we cant go anywhere without ben. last night was the first time I said to myself, we cant go anywhere with him and that kills me. I aint giving up. I still think we can beat anyone. but superman has left the building.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    He's on the other side of it, that's for sure.

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    At times some of his passes make me think he is trying to throw the game:(

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Ben loves to force the ball. Very rarely will he recognize there is no safe play and just throw it away.. It's just not in his blood. He had several errant throws and everyone at least in my house was like wtf is he throwing at.
    He def in his decline .. He is not going to get any better. It's only going to get worse from here on out. He still can be amazing at times and clutch but then he goes and does something stupid and nullifies the good .

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, he was talking to himself on the sidelines that's not good, I think he said man i suck!!!:rolleyes:;):eek:

6. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Seems like most of his INTs come from trying to force the ball to AB. I wonder if that comes from trying to keep him happy and not throw another temper tantrum.

7. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    You know, I would agree with you that his play seems to be declining. That being said, he does occasionally deliver. That deep ball to AB for the TD at the end of the first half was a beautiful ball that he really rifled in there. He can still do it, it seems. I just don't know why he doesn't consistently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben is still my guy, but his career is catching up with him. My bigger concern is that we only seem to play half a game. If we can deliver for an entire game, I would be much happier!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I am more OK with him forcing to AB than I am with overthrowing wide open receivers. Not just the long throws, but several gimmes in the flat were overthrown last night. At least forcing to AB is a good gamble, as he often wins those contests.

10. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Will be interesting to see his decision after the season. He was already waffling about playing this season. I know he said he feels good physically and is a competitor. It will probably depend upon how close to another SB he feels that we are.

11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben's magic and SB window died in that GB SB final drive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I don't get you guys. I've been saying for a while now that Ben is on the back side of his career. You all expect a guy who's been playing, getting hammered, getting injured, and running around for 14 NFL years, to still be the same guy he was two years into his career. How long do you think he can play? He's 36 freaking years old, not 24 anymore. Ben is fading fast, you all need to except that he's just about done.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  13. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I'm not sure he is done just yet, but his game isn't conducive to playing until he is 41.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He was waffling until Haley was shown the door and Rudolph was drafted, then it was "3 to 5 more years".

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/02/p...play-more-years-retirement-themmqb-newsletter

15. More Balti

More Balti Member

Dec 3, 2018
    I don't see anything wrong with him. He's still top tier calibur.

16. Junebug

Oct 1, 2018
    For his sake, I hope he retires before he's floundering around at QB, like a lot of guys who hang on too long. It's just a bad look, and puts a stain on his career. People will soon go from talking about how good he is to wondering why he doesn't just retire and quit embarrassing himself. He's getting close to that time. Apparently, I'm not like the majority of you, who can't see that Ben is not even close to what he used to be. I know, I know, we all want him to still be "Big Ben", but he's just not. Face it guys, he's ......JUST .......NOT. All good things must come to an end......and it's coming sooner than you all want to admit.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    That deep ball to AB for a touchdown was a beauty as he rifled in there. On the open Hunter he looked like he got lazy again and lofted it high and wide instead of putting some zip on it. He does that type of high fly deep ball more then zipping it deep. Last couple of games he did it to JuJu, Washington and Hunter last night.

18. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Ben is a dumbass.. He makes throws that would leave Nate Peterman scratching his head. That along with the fact he's calling teammates out im really getting sick of his s*** honestly.. Your not gonna be able to win with him playing hero ball all the time.. Can't keep abandoning the run because that means more chances Ben makes a stupid throw

19. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ha folks are now seeing what I believe ownership and I have seen for several seasons in that Ben is almost done. Ownership prolonged his career by not renewing Bruce Arians contract and putting in place Munchak and that O-Line (Those 2 penalties by Foster and Villy were killers last night though)

Ben was NEVER an accurate sit in the pocket pass QB he was and still is at his best when he can play playground ball. Haley's offense forced Ben to get rid of the ball quicker which Fitchner has tried to keep HOWEVER Ben trusted Leveon on the dumpoff in a manner a repoire he does not have with Connor. JC does not have the same elusiveness as Leveon BUT Leveon is not Bettis who was also a Ben favorite (you think we wouldn't be running the ball more with a closer like the bus?)

Ben CANNOT consistently win you games its NEVER been what he's needed to do, not without a killer D like we used to have, a reliable 3rd down option or two like Hines or Heath or a RB that he could hand the ball off to in the redzone like Bettis

There are some on this board that will say "yeah but we would be nowhere without Ben" or "Watch how we suffer without Ben under center" and that's only partially true at this stage. This game is now being dominated by QB's who can run the RPO option, dual threat guys with accuracy. Players like Ben are dinosaurs against these fast and long lanky DB's. The other QB's are intelligent QB's who have consistently worked on their games and are really great with mixing up the offense to keep you off guard. For the record there's Tom Brady who is incredibly accurate and mixes personnel, tempo and play calling better than anyone and Drew Brees who is now flourishing again because of the threat of a run game with Ingram and Kamara. I DOUBT Aaron Rodgers last another 6 years and he too does not move the way he used to (his arm is still a cannon though)

If you believe me to be wrong think about this. We used to talk about Ben possibly being one of the elites, certainly a top 3 QB in the league BUT at this moment, as of 2018 there are at least 8 QB's I would take over Ben some might say 9 or 10

1/ Tom Brady
    2/ Drew Brees
    3/ Aaron Rodgers
    4/ Patrick Mahomes
    5/ Deshaun Watson
    6/ Carson Wentz
    7/ Jarod Goff
    8/ Russell Wilson

9/ Ben Roethlisberger
    10/ Andrew Luck ?
    11/ Cam Newton ?
    12/ Matt Ryan / Kirk Cousins?

In the next year or 2 how many QB's will move ahead of Ben as far as who you would take??? Be honest!!
    If Ben is no longer a Top 10 or 15 QB (coming soon) then yes its time to move on, Thoughts??

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Junebug

Oct 1, 2018
    I fully agree. In fact, the Browns QB Mayfield actually scares me thinking of the next few years when, I believe, he only gets better. He has the potential to be a really good QB in this league. We may be looking UP to the Browns for a change. It seems to me, that most Steeler fans just will not accept, and don't even want to hear, anything negative about Ben. Sorry folks, his better days are long past and the Steelers had better start looking for his replacement.

21. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sometimes I wonder if he is injured? It looks like the ball literally slips out of his hand - a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I am a fan of Ben and always have been, but he is done. Or at least we need to be done with him. If this organization is serious about getting back to being a real contender then they need to tell Ben at the end of the year that they are going to move in a different direction. We need to find out quickly if Dobbs or Rudolph are the answer. We've got some good young players who I do not want to see wasted like we've wasted AB's early career. Ownership has to make the tough decision this off-season and if Ben doesn't want to retire then we look into a possible trade (I don't even know if that will be possible). I'll always be grateful to Ben for his years here and for the two Super Bowls, but it's long passed time to move on from him to the future.

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben to the patriots where he wins another 5 championships

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    hey now bbh, i just ate lunch.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Haha, he'd never be able to play for Bellichick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1