1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sepulveda Questionable For Sunday?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You can't make the club if you are in the tub. He has become a liability
    health wise. These guys are a dime a dozen. We will find one that keeps us competetive.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Fair point. I don't think we should cut him - I like him as a player, he always seems to get good press from people at training camps etc., and his pass to Mundy was a thing of wobbly beauty. I also agree about aiming for the pylon - nobody seems to do that anymore, really, for some reason.

I remember on the old board deljzc had a big argument about how Mitch Berger was better because his punts didn't overkick coverage, but the stats you've got here would suggest that this isn't an issue anymore.

The thing is, though, his injuries bother me because he's not doing the sort of things that Ben and Troy are doing. So why does he get injured so much?

3. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Whenever Sep goes on IR we go to the Super Bowl

4. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Yes, against the Giants.

5. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I have to disagree. Sure his stats aren't great to look at. but consider this. through eight games we have given up less then 40 yards in punt returns TOTAL

Our punting game is the least of our problems

6. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes, his punting has not been a problem. He has great hangtime and kicks deep, but he injures very often, putting us on a position to look for a punter on short weeks. it makes us go for the only available ones, generally who have been cut by other teams.

We traded up to get this guy, he won awards on college and was a standout, but some teams had injury concerns about him. Unfortunatelly, it's been true.

Remember Mitch Berger anyone?

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    deljzc is a very smart guy and normally very level-headed, and I have a ton of respect for him. But like anyone (including me), he sometimes latches onto things so hard that it can reach a level that makes no sense. This was one of them. He did routinely say things like there's no difference between the best and worst punters out there, so it makes no difference who you have, so it would be beyond foolish to even use a 7th round pick on one. Suppose Sepulveda never got hurt and was our punter for 12 years, always playing at the level he did this year. I would say that was worth the 4th and 6th picks in that draft. I'd be very happy with that. He wouldn't be. In fact, he also said that Sepulveda was the worst draft selection ever made by the Steelers. EVER.

Obviously with Sep's injuries it looks like a bust -- especially if he doesn't come back from this one -- because he only played a handful of seasons. But I really try not to judge a draft selection harshly if a guy's career ends due to injury (unless of course he stunk it up prior to that injury). I still support the Kendall Simmons pick, who a lot of people forget played great and plugged a huge hole at RG before his diabetes and achilles did him in. Now that hole is back with a vengeance. If we knew then what we know now about Simmons, probably no one would support that pick and it wouldn't have been made. I think Sep's in a similar boat. We are all disappointed with his knee, I'm sure him most of all. But I don't blame the team for drafting him, or for keeping him. You can't just not draft guys because they had a college injury. Cam Heyward couldn't participate in combine workouts because he'd just had elbow surgery.

He didn't disappoint me at all as a player and feel he was worth the pick, because I do value the punter position. It is nice to have a good one, and nerve-racking to have a bad one. I guess I just chop it all up to bad luck. It's really too bad. But I don't blame anybody. I don't think anyone did anything wrong anywhere along the line. Unless his surgeon left a sponge in there or something...

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I liked Sep....a good player....not worth a 4th round pick or a 5th round for that matter.....

I'm sorry no kicker should be taken outside the 6th or 7th rounds....