1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sepulveda Questionable For Sunday?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Nov 4, 2011.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Just read that Sep was listed as questionable. Was he hurt in practice? Has anyone heard any details about his injury? :(

2. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Good grief. We really can't catch a break. First I am hearing about it. Hope its not true...

3. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This dude can't play a full season.Time to look elsewhere.

4. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Sep has been God awful this season. Can't kick one inside the 20 when he is supposed to. Short on long distance. He won't be on the team next yr. Was a big fan of drafting him in the 4th when we did, but now am man enough to admit that was a mistake. He is nothing special and we watssted 2 pick s on him. Moving on.....

5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I second that. Send Sep packing and call Krapinos. He is delivering pizzas.

6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah this is BS. Send him packin and get somebody that can finish a freakin season already... Sheesh

Bman

7. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He isn't even allowed to be touched by the opposing team for cryin out loud.

Go to yoga, drink only water, stretch and practice. I might not be able to kick as far or have the touch he has, BUT if I got paid a fraction of his dough and kicked in my back yard as much as he kicks per season I bet I could stay more healthy.

I should have tried to be a kicker all those years ago. Example # 527 of things I do over again in life if I could go back.

8. BFreeZ28

BFreeZ28 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He musta strained something after not having to punt all last Sunday until late in the 4th quarter, doh!

9. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    It's a surprise, since he only was on 1 play last sunday.

If true, that proves we must have stucked with Kapinos

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought the thing about Sep when he was drafted - why I thought he was a great pick up - was
    1) He essentially had a linebacker build, but was a punter
    2) He kicked in some special way that was meant to leave the ball at the 2 all the time.

As far as 1 goes, he does seem to be injured an awful lot for someone who just kicks the ball every so often.
    As far as 2 goes.... I'm not sure I've ever really seen it on a consistent basis.

11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yikes everybody. He's only questionable, and would you say all that same stuff about Polamalu or Ben? I don't understand why injury prone-ness alone is enough to drop a guy. Not when he makes what a punter makes and is as easily replaceable as a punter. What's it really cost us to change punters halfway through a season?

Of course, I'd whole-heartedly agree to drop him if he actually stunk, but he doesn't. I got curious so I looked it up. His numbers are a little bit down this year (14th net average) because we do most of our punting from around midfield, but he is still doing a good job. I agree that his 5 touchbacks are not good (they all seem to land on the 5 yard line and skip right in), but I think that's more of a strategy issue. If he aimed for the pylon instead of the goal post, he'd have far better luck. That's an issue for not only him, but Tomlin and Everest.

Here's a number that popped out to me: the Steelers have allowed 37 yards on punt returns this year, out of 25 punts (1.48 average). That is far and away the best in the league. Now, knowing us, raise your hand if you think that's because our coverage is so amazing... Our coverage might be fine. I know Brown and Allen are doing a good job. But I can barely even remember any opponents running with the balls. In 25 punts, Sep has 5 touchbacks, 8 kicks pinning teams inside the 20, 5 fair catches and 8 returns. And 37 total returned yards on 25 punts. For comparison, Shane Lechler's Raiders allowed 325 punt return yards on 34 punts (9.56 average). Sep's net is one yard below his.

Teams are simply getting nothing on punt returns against us, and it's because they never have a chance. He has a lot to do with that.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... TURN_YARDS

12. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    OR maybe because we aren't punting as much as other teams. I know we are putting up the most points in the NFL, but we aren't doing bad at all and I haven't looked at the numbers or his rate of pay vs. other punters. this guy was drafted high for a kicker and won the Ray Guy award so, I guess we expected more from him than to be as average as he is. His build was a plus in case a defender broke free and when he did go for a tackle he got injured. He's fragile yet serviceable. Do I think the team could do better? Yes. Is it even on my radar considering our other holes that need to be fixed? No, unless he breaks down again and we are stuck with someone who sucks during the post season.

It's not unreasonable to want a player who isn't always injured. Especially with how little he actually takes the field.

13. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    who punts if he can't go..... Suisham?

14. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was just about to post something similar to this. He is hurt a lot, and that is a downside to his game, and its hard to compare him to the likes of Ben or Polamalu being injured because thats a whole different issue. But Sep isnt a bad punter just has had some bad luck with injuries, and hes only questionable. We will be fine, and a few of those touchbacks have skipped into the endzone when our gunners have had chances to get to the ball. So we cant put it all on #9. I'd wait a little bit before everyone grabs their pitchforks and fire and runs him out of town. We dont even know the situation yet.

15. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Good Question? Where's Kordell?

16. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We lost a game a couple years ago when Harrison had to come in and punt and he muffed it. Better have a better plan B for Sunday's game.

17. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    :lol:

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    He didn't meet expectations, but those expectations were ridiculous. He's the only guy to ever win the Ray Guy award twice, so people were expecting him to be the best punter they've ever seen. His tackling ability can't be overlooked; I don't think he's just good at that for a punter, I think he's better than a lot of the other guys covering punts for us. He's smart, takes good angles, and brings guys down. He reminds me of Patrick Bailey. He's saved us from multiple scores in the past.

But I wouldn't call him average as a punter. I think he's been a top 5 punter over the years. Lechler and Lee are always the top two, but after that it's a toss up and he's right in that mix. I'll agree that he's never been consistent with his supposedly fancy backwards bouncing ball. Seems very average there. But he does seem to get the ball to land where he wants, it just doesn't bounce the way he wants. I think if he tried for the corner, he'd immediately cut his touchbacks in half and double his "In 20"s. But he can boom 'em when he needs to, and gets great hang time too. His 1.48 return yards per punt average has nothing to do with the number of punts. No one is close to that average. Check out the link.

19. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought he won it twice. Not really sure he has crazy expectations. If he wasn't hurt so much I don't think this conversation even happens. There also isn't a major difference between the top punter and #10, something like 5 yards or so on average. It's really about his injuries, but I got ya. He's good. I hope we don't have to rejoin this convo in the post season.

20. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

21. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This is surprising... I had no idea there was any chance of him being hurt. Overall, I think he has had a great year and liked some of the stats stated above. I also feel that our special teams coverage (and coaching) should be given more credit. Let's just hope he is fine and plays on Sunday!

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    our coverage units are doing well, not just on punts but kick returns. maybe it is a little more about the coverage then the kicker then you think. :cool:

23. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    The Giants game? I guess Harrison actually tried to long snap and... his center was overthrown by far!

24. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Harrison was the long snapper on that play

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe we put sep in to help lb since he has a hard time staying healthy due to lack of reps :grin:

I mean really he is in a very fortunate and enviable situation to be on a team where you punt as few times as he does hehe

He may be questionable as status for the Ravens but bottom line his health has to be a concern

Bman