1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Senior Bowl Prospects

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Jan 24, 2019.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I didn't see most of the first half, I came in at about 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and couldn't hear the announcers so that kinda sucked. It was tough watching with no names being called out.

Well the guy I mocked to us in the 2nd looked bad. OLB Oshane Ximines from Old Dominion. I thought he had a lot more size and was quicker but tough to get a gauge when you watch him vs Liberty and Marshall. With the big boys he looked pretty thin and got out ran to the outside on one running play. Definitely taking him out of my next mock lol

I pretty much concentrated on the OLBs the whole game where I could. Granderson from Wyoming had some nice plays but not consistent and would get caught looking in the backfield too much as other carriers ran past him.

Jaylon Ferguson flashed a couple times too, definitely worth some more research.

I didn't care for Charles Omenihu, I know he had the strip sack but he really never won any battles I thought.

I don't remember who the other guy was from the North that played most of the 2nd half.

Terrell Hanks ILB from New Mexico St and Tytus Howard OT had good games. Howard is a beast on the oline. Bradbury had a good game too.

None of the RBs impressed me, Isabella looked good at WR.

Wish I had a roster sheet when i was watching though, especially with no announcers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Nice write up and analysis. I only caught the first half. Khalen Saunders has me seriously intrigued. He is freaky athletic for his size and not even playing in a mans body yet. I don't know where he is slotted as of now but I'm starting to find a fit in my head for us. I know DL isn't a huge need for us but I believe Hargrave will be coming up on a contract soon and our depth is woefully weak and Alualu is a FA. Like I said he is still in his baby fat stage it appears and his strength and quickness can only improve with better conditioning. I realize he may not be the perfect fit but many around here said the same about Aaron Donald. I'm sure we could find a fit for him here somehow. I'm m not saying he is the next AD but that athleticism is crazy. I saw a clip of him rushing from the outside standing up(will try to find) it was crazy.
    I realize we have more important needs but it's never a bad idea to possibly add a player with the ability and upside he appears to have. We also have FA money to add a experienced CB ,ILB or OLB and probably 2 out of the 3. Like I said I don't even know where he's being projected but he's definitely opened my eyes and mind.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Now that was some nice footwork for a 320 pounder.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks man, as far as Saunders goes I have a feeling with a decent combine he will go inside the top 100, his stock is on the rise. So with that said we do need help on the DL but this draft is deep in DL, guys like Dogbe, Wise and Mack to name a few could be had a round or two later and offer very close talent imo. My problem with finding guys on the DL is that I don't know what type we need for the system we play cause I am not sure of the system. Are we a more 1-tech for a 3-4 or more a 3-tech in like a 4-3? We have Digger who comes off the field a lot and we put Tuitt and Cam to play inside a lot so I am thinking we need more of a 3-tech here.

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Hargrave is at his best playing 1 gap, either 1 tech or 3 tech. We currently have nobody who I think can play the Zero tech effectively when needed. Hargrave does ok, but that’s not his thing. I recognize that we are now primarily a 1 gap defense inside, but there are times when you really need that Zero tech lined up on the center forcing a double team or keeping both A gaps in check. We can especially use that on goal line defense, where I think we tend to be weak inside. I have no idea if Saunders can do that. I haven’t watched anything of him but the 1st half of the Sr Bowl. However, I think Gaines from Washington shows the functional strength to play the Zero in addition to flashing some ability to penetrate in a 1 gap scheme. He looks versatile to me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I like Gaines too but the kid that has caught my eye the last few weeks is Daylon Mack from Texas A&M. This kid has shined at the Shrine game and also had a nice Senior Bowl. I really see us getting a nice player for the dline later in the draft.

10. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I personally like Wes Hills out of Slippery Rock University. IMO, he's a good fit for the Steelers at the running back position.

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with the need of a 0 but with the lack of depth on the DL I'm not sure we can afford to draft a player without more versatility. Gaines may be that guy like you said. One of the knocks on Mack is he can only play in a phone booth. We need some more versatile guys that can run to the football and give Cam and Tuitt a rest without a huge drop off in production. Having a 0 is a luxury at this point with the current state of depth. IMO.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm definitely not looking for a guy who is limited to the zero, but we need to add 3 guys, and they shouldn't all be exclusively one-gap penetrators. We need someone to handle two gaps on the inside when the situation calls for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I think this WR is underrated there are a lot of nice guys here but not a lot popping out at ya. I personally am starting to lean more towards Samuel.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Jeffery Simmons and Christian Wilkins are the only two I can think of currently. Issue with those two are character concerns. Have to be careful with those.

RaShan Gary is more so a one gap machince than he is a space eater. Dexter Lawrence is a space eater near exclusively. Beyond the aforementioned, no one else I am afraid that I can think of currently.

18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    What are the character concerns against Christian Wilkins?

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Too good? :lolol::cool:

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Oh snap. My mistake.

Thought of Dexter Lawrence there for a second.

• Like Like x 1