1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Senior Bowl Prospects

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Jan 24, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Anyone interested in this game and if so who has your attention/curiosity? Some of the names I have read about during the bowl games that have my interest are:

North Team:

Jalen Jelks Oregon
    Zach Allen BC
    John Cominsky Charlston (we met with)
    Cam Smith USC
    Te'von Coney ND
    Germaine Pratt NC ST
    Ben Banogu TCU

South Team:

Jimmy Moreland JMU
    Rock Ya-sin Temple
    Jaylon Ferguson Lou. Tech
    Montez Sweat Miss St
    Daylon Mack A&M (Shine Games Invite)
    Sione Takitaki BYU (Shrine Game Invite)
    Ryquell Armstead Temple
    Johathan Abram Miss. St
    Davis Sills V WV
    Hunter Renfrow Clemson (small hands)

These are just some name I have seen or read about obviously I am open to many others. I didn't list any QB's since I do not want us to draft any of them as I feel these are higher prospects and we could spent a high pick there. Guys like Banogu and Ya-sin I have read very good things but have not seen play. Others like Sills and Smith I have seen and feel they are nice later round 3-5 picks if there.

Who has ya'll interest?????

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Mack is really interesting as a pure 3-4 NT. Doubt he is on our radar but he is so squatty and powerful, he should be a starter in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes they did but not sure he was a blocking TE:

Kendall Blanton

Billed as a blocking tight end, Blanton actually struggles consistently as an in-line blocker, and has received plenty of opportunity as a receiver, even from a flexed position in the slot. If he tests well, I can see a team taking a late day three flier on developing him to be an adequate depth tight end.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I’m definitely interested in possibly adding a TE. I watched some film today on the “other” Iowa tight end, TJ Hockenson. Watched the Penn State game and came away impressed.

Read a write up on him (possibly Daniel Jeremiah’s mock/top 50 list) and it made him sound like the next Heath Miller. I can see it in the film, and I can also see Baltimore nabbing him at 22. He’d fit their offense perfectly.

I’ll have to check out Moreau.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Nice call. I watched alot of Noah Fant this year as I had seen his name often and early but it was the other Iowa TE that kept catching my eye. A better overall TE albeit less of a weapon in the passing game.

I'm pretty happy if we keep Outlaw and McDonald though. Bigger fish to fry than TE in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I watched TJ in the bowl game and he didn't have a catch in the first half but when he got going watch out. I came away pretty impressed.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Baltimore won't draft him, they drafted 2 TEs last year.

11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think their ultimate goal is to run a 5 TE offense. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Just a quick commentary on the Senior Bowl itself as kick off approaches this afternoon.

I get that it is the "Senior" Bowl. Long tradition that is not likely to change.

But what can be done to get the underclassmen into a similar style situation?

I've been analyzing drafts since 2004 when the NFL network became a thing. Constantly and consistently it is harder to get a sense of the underclassmen and even Seniors who skip the Senior Bowl. Senior Bowl drills and even the game can be a great predictor of the path and trajectory players will take.

What is more likely to happen? Underclassmen getting their own "Bowl" with a full week of drills and a game, or eventually being allowed to participate at the Senior Bowl?

All else being equal, I typically gravitate towards a Senior as I feel I have a better understanding of them. I know them better.

• Like Like x 1
  15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree its a missing piece of the evaluation process for the early draft eligibles. I don't think they'd ever get their own "bowl" just because I feel the seniors should be rewarded for staying in school. I think the colleges would fight against a junior type bowl etc. So many more are skipping the bowl games as it is. And Nick Bosa leaves the team mid season to "prepare for the draft" when he got injured. I think the scouts will just have to rely on the games the underclassmen did play.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good scouts should have watched, talked to any and every person associated with the possible players/position
    who the team has designated as a need or best player available at their selected pick in the draft. This is why (Big Boards)
    are created. They should have also watched and interviewed people and close friends of these interested prospects
    even in high school. You may find a gem or you may strike out. You can't miss on the 1's and 2's like we have
    in recent years. Due the due diligence at least you can't say you didn't try to be successful.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They sure don't have a passing threat as of right now, maybe Lamar will prove me wrong.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I just got done watching the game and here is my unprofessional take on some of these guys:

North Team Notes:

First off the DL was a monster, 99 Khalen Saunders and 98 Greg Gaines got pressure and showed good power.

DE Charles Omenihu had a nice game lots of hustle, strip sack.

The oline had a couple nice players 70 Chuma Edoga had nice protection going against Sweat and Ferguson. 65 Garrett Bradbury had a nice game and looked to be a potential replacement for pouncey.

S Nasir Adderley had a nice game and an INT

WR Andy Isabella and RB Tony Pollard both had a nice games just not sure he fits our offense

Some guys I didn't care for were CB Kris Boyd Penalties and was very handsy. RB Dexter Williams Had one nice catch but drapped a few easy ones, did have good runs at the end of the game. WR Terry McLaurin lots of drops for a WR, fast as heck. CB #12 Brown not sure who he was but he looked slow and was burnt toast.

South Team Notes

Like the North the DL was good, Dontavius Russell had a nice game and showed very good hustle down field causing a fumble. DT Kingsley Keke made a few plays one he went right down the line and made tackle

CB Lonnie Johnson Jr. big hit no wrap

CB Jimmy Moreland made a heck of a play on a screen, announcers say he is a ball hawk

DE'S Jaylon Ferguson and Montez Sweat had good games Sweat especially was a beast.

Did not like LB Darius West he held and looked slow.

I will be looking up to see what the "experts" have to say about the game.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So far I have managed the watch the 1st quarter, plus part of the second. Kris Boyd has looked horrid. A penalty machine at CB. Saunders and Gaines... very nice. I especially liked Saunders’ sack. He left the LG blocking air. Great move for a big guy. They then showed a clip of him doing a handspring backflip at 320+ lbs. I think there’s likely a place on an NFL roster for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I thought the exact same thing about Boyd and Saunders........320+ doing all that wow!

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    @Steel_Elvis check out the video of Isabella training. I can't find it to post here but they showed it during the senior bowl.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Isabella is a good one. I have been thinking about him as a potential slot guy for several weeks. His game against Georgia was great. Were you referring to the football on a bungee thing that he does every night?

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I like Isabella just wasn't sure he fit our needs but damn he is good, I also like Sills and Samuel too. Yeah the football on the bungee that was cool huh?

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    North team roster

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    South team roster