1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Senior Bowl Prospect Meetings

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Jan 27, 2016.

1. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    That Killebrew guy can tackle, and his coverage skills aren't bad at all.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'll pat myself on the back and say that I pegged Holliman as a 6th round or later prospect last year :cool:. Somewhere back in time I started a thread called "unsafe safety class" - or something like that. I took some guff for being negative on Holliman and Landon Collins (who I still see as a small linebacker, not a safety).

I hope I have time to watch a lot of film on safeties this year, but I think work is going to hammer my ability to do a lot of prospect watching for the '16 draft. I didn't even bother recording the Sr Bowl practices, and I usually watch them 2-3 times. Oh well....

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I am prob one of them guys who gave ya some guff but I don't think too much I was still new here lol. Most of the mocks had Holliman as a 3rd round guy and of course Collins as a 1st. I do more reading on prospects then watching cause I just don't have the time. The ones I like I end up checking them out here:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/

Now onto this years guys I find myself looking more at guys who can return punts and kicks as well. Miller and Jones I am watching today for that reason. Also the DT's are very deep this year and as we go more 4-3 I am thinking one of these guys would be a nice fit. Every year I have a guy in the 1st that I get the "Man Crush" on and it is early but I am liking Fuller at 25......thoughts?

4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm a fan of Fuller. I especially liked his play in 2014. I think he was hampered by injuries last season. I also like Apple, though he needs to be coached out of reliance on downfield contact. I haven't watched Ramsey and Hargreaves other than watching games on Saturdays because I expect them to be gone. The only other player that I've watched at length is Henry, the TE from Arkansas. Love him, but I'm really not liking the TE position unless 1st round worthy DBs and pass rushers are depleted.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im not sold on Henry yet, I want to check him out for myself and make up my own mind but the knock on him is he is a terrible blocker and gets manhandled at the point of attack. He has to be more than a pass catching TE for the Steelers to draft him.

6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, I suggest watching him yourself, because I don't think he gets manhandled at all. He doesn't pancake guys, but he's effective. I watched the 2 games vs Miss State that are on draft breakdown. One of those games was against Miss St when they were ranked #1, largely due to a good defense. He more than held his own blocking. I think the Witten comparisons may be spot on based on those 2 games.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I will. I was high on Ebron and his blocking was called into question but didnt think he was bad at it. So we will see.

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I have a buddy who is a V Tech grad and he stays connected to the football program and the one thing we were talking about when Kyle was coming out was how good his younger brother was. I did not see him play much but what I did see I liked. He had ups and downs but who don't, I think the injuries will drop him down right to us, jmo.

As for the TE position here is my thinking. A lot is gonna depend on how much we dabble in FA as to what positions we are looking to in the draft. If we don't do anything this year at TE I wouldn't be upset. I am pulling for James in hopes he steps up and to be honest who better to learn from then Heath? The 2 positions I have the least interest in during the draft are TE and RB, because of so many other needs right now. Like I said FA is going to play a big role as to what position we are going to be looking. So much time for so much to change but fun stuff to talk about...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You called it SE about Holliman, lets face it ,your not going to play very long
    at the DB position for the Pgh Steelers if you are unwilling to tackle. I commend the Steelers
    for this also, I think Art II has seen enough of this from our present players. LOL.

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I totally agree however the shape our secondary was in(we were 25th in int's) we needed a ball hawk and I felt it was Holliman. I was wrong, he is gone now onto this draft.....

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Same here. I think RB would be the biggest shocker to me since whoever we draft won't get the required playing time. Next year would make more sense. I'm usually ok with whoever we draft in the 1st, but if we went RB I'd probably at least a little perturbed!

TE makes more sense to me than RB, much more, and if Henry has a complete game to him and our FO thinks he could fit our system, I'd be fine with the selection being him. However, I would like to think the board would be pretty clear if we were taking a TE. I think Heeeeath is falling off pretty fast and we shouldn't wait to find a talented replacement. I think we'll need a TE next year, or maybe the year after, so now is the perfect time to draft one high.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I feel pretty good about our RB stable right now and Dwill is really not costing us much(2.5 mil) when you look at what he brings. Now if Elliott or Hendry are there at 25 and we were to draft one I wouldn't like it. it would only probably save us 1 mil while eating up out 1st round pick on a position we already have covered, so I am with you as well.

Now as for TE I guess I am more excited about James as I don't feel this is a problem.....for next season. I also feel that we will ease JJ in more and give Miller a break next season. I don't see Heath falling off, what I see is he is just to slow, jmo. Age is catching up to him but I think he blocks more and JJ catches some more next season and we will see if JJ can take over or not.

I will say this I am hoping for a trade back, not out of the 1st but just enough to get us a 4th or 5th.

13. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah I can see that happening. I like The Outlaw a lot, too, and like you said it seems to be that he may be taking over more of the TE1 receiving duties while Heeeath is doing more of the Spaeth blocking-only type thing. If we do pull the trigger on that TE from Arkansas in the 1st he better be flawless. Otherwise ideally go defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    TE is a position of need,it cannot be ignored unless they go the FA route. Heath is basically done, Spaeth is done
    and James is not the answer.So yes TE is a big need going forward.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    People keep saying Heath is done, yeah he is at the end of his career but the one thing that Heath has been known for is his blocking and I just didn't see that being an issue in his game. Yeah he did drop a few passes he never use to and he is the slowest person in the NFL but like I said I feel James could step in. In the limited chances JJ got he shined. I didn't see anything that showed James was not the answer. jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So I finally sat down and watched this game and the dvd cut it off with 4 min left to play but I saw what I needed some guys that impressed the heck out of me:

Shaun Oakman Baylor....Not sure where he fits in with us but he was in the backfield a lot.

Darian Thompson Boise ST S.....Really read the QB good now I know why he had so many int's in college, saying that he did drop an INT but that happens, Was around the ball a ton.

Sean Davis Maryland CB/S......after coming off a good Shrine game he proved it wasn't a one game wonder here. I feel this is a Steeler kind of kid who can flex between S and CB.

Cyrus Jones Bama CB/Returner.......Had a very good game did get a PI call in the endzone but overall very good and being a return guy is a big plus. I know there has been talk about him on this board and rightfully so....

Harlan Miller SE Lou. CB......Had a good game he was in on tackles and came off receivers to make plays. I watched this kid this past week and was very impressed so I was excited to see him play vs higher talent cause that was my knock on him. I will say this right now I feel this kid could be a #1 CB for us, he is that good.....3rd round.....even better!

Kentrell Brothers Missouri ILB.....Had a few good plays enough for me to pay attention to him, probably going to go to high for us to pick him but having a decent game should push other players down if he goes up.

Tyler Matakevich Temple ILB/OLB......This kid is a player, yeah he is a little slow...ok maybe more then a little but **** man this kid makes plays. I feel he is an impact player but a position we probably won't draft early....unless we feel he can play the outside. A true play maker on defense.

Eric Striker OLB Okla........He had a good game made some plays but they talked a lot about him being undersized, I think he could rush the passer maybe a mid round pick.

KJ Dillon West Virgina SS......Flat out can hit, blocked a kick is in a class full of talent he may slide way down. This is a kid who helped himself in that game.

Vernon Butler Lou Tech NT/DT........I know this position is loaded maybe the best in the draft but there was one play that stood out to me was he just out right pushed the olineman straight back, this kid has power. He has been talked about a lot on this board and I can see why, a very good possibility at #25.

Sheldon Day ND DT/DE.......Not sure if he was that good or if the LT Clark was that bad, either way he stood out. This kid could be a nice fit in a rotation at DE for us......

I did like Hogan he showed some "ben like" movement in the pocket, Allen and Kessler looked ok at QB as well. I watched Ervin a little cause I see we brought him in for an interview and I will say pass. We don't need this kid we can get the return skills else where and also add to that position like Cyrus Jones for example. I was not impressed with CB Murray, he used his hands way to much and also got juked out in the open field for the 1st td of the game. That is the olny time I have watched him so that right now is my impression of him, I know some here like this kid. Vannett had an ok game nothing special but wasn't that what we had with Heath? Heath was clutch with his hands but was always under the radar kind of guy. Great player most outside of Steeler Nation didn't know about!

Well there you go just my take on some players from the Senior Bowl game, all straight up opinion. I feel Butler is a great talent but the position is so deep hard to take him at 25. Miller and Matakevich are growing into some of my favorite players. One thing I have noticed is round 2-4 are full of potential starters.......I am in all out trade down mode now. Move back a few spots gain a 4 and/or 5 and get some more studs.........

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you are gonna be impressed when u look at him. He can block. He isn't heath caliber yet but he has alot of upside in that department. He can get job done. I still think he is a future pro bowler

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I have since that post and I like his game and he can block well enough that he should be able to improve upon it but after watching Hooper this morning, I honestly can't advocate taking Henry in the 1st, I think I even like Hooper better. Unfortunately I doubt he will be there by the time we pick in the second.

There are several more I want to check out though, so maybe one of them will peak my interest. David Morgan cranked out 29 reps on the bench press and apparently is a blocking machine with soft hands. I didn't see any games on draft breakdown though, need to find something elsewhere to watch on him.

19. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have heard a lot of good things about hooper. I have to admit I didn't watch him much. I just saw henry alot cause of the region