1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Senior Bowl Game Day Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Feb 5, 2022.

1. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    1. For the record: I do not care for PFF. Their opinions typically miss the mark with me.
    2. The stat comes from Pro Football Reference.

That being said, Passer Rating when targeted is a pretty simple statistic. Passer rating is a basic formula that has been around for decades and has 0 opinion or analysis involved in it. All you have to do is plug in the numbers for when a player was targeted and you have it. A 63.7 rating is terrible, and that is what Terrell gave up this season. He also had a league-average missed tackle rate for his position (10.1%, only .6% behind Minkah). Statistically, he was a better player than Tyrann Mathieu this season and not far behind Derwin James.

He is not perfect by any means but he is nowhere near as bad as people like to think he is. Reject narratives, embrace reality.

As for Jarvis: Poor example on two fronts.
    1. We drafted Zumwalt, Bud and Chickillo and brought back James Harrison in the next 2 seasons after Jarvis was drafted. They hardly let Jarvis rest on his laurels and they declined his fifth year option.
    2. We drafted an OLB in the first round 3 times in 6 seasons. (2013 - Jarvis, 2015 - Bud, 2017 - Watt). That is a two year gap each time. The Steelers did almost exactly what I advocated with the QB position at a significantly less valuable position and as a result they got the best Edge defender in the league. They could absolutely do it with QB. They have not been in this position in 18 years and I am certain it is a position they do not like being in.

Those players you miss out on are almost inconsequential compared to an elite franchise QB in the long run. They will not play as long and they will not elevate a team as much. The 2008 Vikings had 4 First-Team All-Pros on it (and 3 future Hall of Famers) and they got handled in the Wild Card round at home by the Eagles, primarily because they could do nothing on offense outside of Adrian Peterson. Favre comes in the next year and they get to within striking distance of a Super Bowl.

You can make a lowlight tape for anyone. There is a nice drop compilation of Jerry Rice on Youtube, including a highlight tape that makes Trent Richardson look like a beast.

No offense taken.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    How did some say 2 Me before???...You are comparing J. Rice 2 T. Edmunds???
    I tell You what. Take any game. They said He (T. Edmunds) was better this year. So don't go by what others say. Take any game this Year, and watch it, and only focus on T. Edmunds. Then come back, and tell Me how great, or even good He is. I never seen a player watch plays happen as much as him. They should make Him pay for a ticket for every game. Hell He has the best seats in the house.
    Do You know how many draft picks on other positions You miss out on doing the grab another Qb every other year. You do know You still have 2 pay these guys.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah well, ignoring the position after TB didn’t work out too well either!

Face it, unless they get lucky in this draft, there is going to be some lean years until they find the next guy, they can lessen that time if they don’t spend 4 to 5 years on each QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude....I agree about the principle(promise), but I'm scared about what that would do, or mean for the rest of the team. I just hope,and pray whomever We pick is the Guy. Knowing Me I will be defending Him whomever it is.
    Hell I'm already starting 2 defend Mason, and Haskins, and neither are the starter. LoL.