1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Senior Bowl Game Day Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It doesn’t take access to interviews to watch tape from Stroud and Young last season and see that they check off a lot more boxes watching actual game film than anyone in this year’s draft, and it’s not even close. There are others who also show high potential, but need to take that next step. I get to see two of them in person next season: Jurkevic and Haener are coming to play at UCONN.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    You brought up the perfect example with Arizona: Do you think anyone there, here and now in 2022, really cares that they took Rosen 10th overall in 2018? I would bet no. They took a chance on what was supposed to be a promising QB, saw that he was not the guy, and moved on in the next draft. Obliterating the sunk cost fallacy in the process. As for being set back, they were battling the Packers for the #1 seed in the NFC late in this season. If that is setting your team back years then sign me up. The only person who got the axe after Rosen was drafted was Wilks who probably was not the best HC candidate to begin with. The GM that drafted Rosen is still there.

People talk about drafting RBs, using them up for 4-5 years then tossing them aside and drafting another. There is no reason you can not do that with QBs on an even shorter time scale. I do not agree with a lot of what Colin Cowherd says but he was on to something when he said that QB needy teams should draft one every year until they find the one then start from there. It is such a valuable position that committing those kinds of resources to finding one is justified in the long run because once you get them you can forget about filling the most important position for 15-20 YEARS. An insane luxury and you only have to be right once.

Like Blast said: The crystal ball approach is folly on 2 fronts.
    1: You do not know that the QBs coming in the next draft will be "the guy."
    2: Unless you plan on intentionally losing every game you have no way of knowing if you will be in position to draft them.

Spencer Rattler was supposed to be head and shoulders above everyone in this class 365 days ago. Now he is staying another year and transferring. If it was a simple as "just wait x years and draft x QB at your leisure then build a contender from there" teams like the Bears, Jaguars, Lions, Bengals, Dolphins, Jets and Cleveland would have done so decades ago. The Steelers of the 80/90s/early 2000s would have just done it. It aint that simple and waiting for just the next year could mean you end up waiting for the next decade+.

I am not saying we draft any QB, especially any of these QBs, in the first round or any round. However, if they identify a QB they wholeheartedly believe is a franchise player it would be downright negligent to pass on them. This is a league slanted towards offense and the passing game, I highly doubt we will move forward without that caliber of player under center.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude ....We can't let go of a Safety we struck out on....You think they are going 2 admit We struck out on a Qb in one year. LoL.
    What team have you been watching???

4. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Who? Edmunds? He was 4th best in passer rating allowed among SS this past season. He is not a star, just a solid NFL starter; we could do far worse at SS. Also, they declined his 5th year option so they are clearly considering moving on as an option.

Besides, who did they have behind him to replace him? I am advocating grabbing a new QB every 1 to 2 years. It does not take long to find out who the guy is in this day in age and it would be insane to invest those kind of resources in a safety.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Yes Edmunds. You get that rating from PFF?? LoL. People use Your eyes. I could make a 2hour long lowlights reel of this guy . Well never mind T. Edmunds
    OK. So. Let's use a different tactic here. Jarvis Jones. I knew for sure in year 2 He was no good...Yet how long did We keep Him??? 4 years.
    He was so bad nobody wanted him after. We kept Him 4 years. Yet We will let a Qb that we draft go after 1 year??
    Do you know How bad Your team would get if You just drafted a Qb every year in the 1st round ....until You thought You had one???
    Think of all the other players You would miss out on.
    No saying You, but this thought is crazy. Please don't take offense.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I’m not that high on Pickett, he does have good film and some really good traits but the hands thing bothers me as well as being scared of him playing in bad weather games. @Steel_Elvis, he hasn’t fared well in that regard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I didn’t watch the entire game, but saw a couple of series for both Willis and Ridder. I thought Ridder looked much better and more in control during the game. What were your thoughts?

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I watched twice now. Pickett, and Ridder look the best, but neither one blew Me away. I would say Strong, and Willis looked the worse of the 4 Hyped guys.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Strong had far and away the worst game day performance. He didn’t catch my eye in the practices as anything special either. I hadn’t watched any film of Ridder from 2021 yet. Last year when it wasn’t certain whether he was coming out, I wanted him to stay in school for one more year to develop further. In just watching a few games on live TV in 2021 he struck me as a guy who was playing things close to the vest too much. Being a game manager when he has the natural talent to be more. Since the Senior Bowl I’ve watched a few games, and I’m warming up to him. Lots more tape to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, I thought Ridder had the best day of anyone. He didn’t show well during practice but he played the best on game day. I saw someone make the comment that maybe he is just one of those guys that doesn’t practice well but shows up when it matters most.

He fits the mold of what Tomlin is looking for, I don’t think Willis will be there when we pick, much to the disappointment of yours and others I’m sure but I could see Ridder still being there and end up being the pick.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I am personally convinced that Mailk Willis, Desmond Ridder, Kenny Pickett and Matt Corral all will not be available by pick number 20. Pittsburgh is likely to trade up again if they want a shot at one of the three; Malik likely going the highest. Much of how I stated in 2019, it is all about finding the right trading partner.

In 2019 it was the Broncos for Devin Bush in exchange for Noah Fant, Drew Lock and Lloyd Cushenberry III. Closest trading partner right now is the New York Jets; same spot as it was four years ago. That said, outside of Willis and Corral, nope to the rest for trading up. I like Desmond Ridder but not as much as I had loved him when the 2021 CFB Season started. This Senior Bowl was a good showcasing for him but not one I would consider Top 10 worthy. If Ridder truly is the next option... the Steelers in state rival in Philly can assist with the 15th pick. That said, if Corral is also on the board by pick 15, I would trade up but soley to grab him.

If no QB is available by pick 20 (I personally doubt we are seeing that big a reach on this corps), I would not mind Zion Johnson. I have been semi bullish on him leading up to the Senior Bowl. Post Senior Bowl? If he is all that remains at pick 20... grab his ass. Dude can flat out play. Wild card for me is still Stingley as one seasons worth of tape in addition to a rash of injuries is enough to push him down some draft boards. How low will he go is anyone's guess but I seriously doubt he going Top 5 like so many believe. Top 10 is more accurate but even this is not a sure thing either.

For me, Stingley Jr is a player worth trading up for given the uncertainty of the CB room at present.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Corral? That's a big no for me, dawg. I agree, if several QBs get taken early, that will leave some nice non-QB options for us. Stingley, Linderbaum, Zion, someone like that would be there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    i wrote this before but I think I would be ok riding w Mason this year and getting a OL ILB draft picks, I wld be ok not drafting a QB this year

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And people said the same about Howell and Rattler. Lot can happen between now and 2023 and even if they don’t have a down year, that makes them a lock to be franchise QB’s? And the Steelers will be in position to grab one with a #1 or 2 pick?

I admit the Steelers being high on Rudolph is worrisome when it comes to picking the next franchise QB but this waiting for a “sure thing” is a bad idea IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am only speaking in current terms. Who is to say that the Steelers are to send the house to Ole Miss and never mind send people overall?! I can see Mike Sullivan and maybe Matt Canada but that is about it personally.

That said, should Stingley not be there, Kairi Elam or even Andrew Booth would be stellar failsafe options for the CB position.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    McCreary from Auburn looked the part of a 1st round corner in the Iron Bowl against top WRs. I’m just going by watching the game on live TV at this point, but he impressed.

The vast majority of my film watching to date is QBs. Unfortunately that’s having more of an effect of saying “no” to guys as 1st rounders than “yes.” It’s very possible that when I’m done in a couple of months I’ll be back to Howell and Ridder as my top 2 like I was heading into the season.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    For the record I never bought into the Rattler hype at all. I still like Howell overall. He may end up being my QB1 at the end of the day.

I trust that our brass know that Mason is not the answer, even for 2022. My concern is whether they think that they have a winning lottery ticket in Haskins. I doubt it, but you never know.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, I hope at this point they aren’t still debating about Rudolphs abilities, I was referring more to the fact that they had a first rd grade on him. If thats even true.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    jamis winston, teddy bridgewater. two names that i keep thinking about. winston really started getting his interceptions down under payton. shows me he's coachable. bridgewater didn't have too bad of year either. both are around the same money area. both are still fairly young but have nfl experience. have had years of nfl coaching. i don't think they have hit their ceilings. neither would break the bank, nor cost us draft picks. neither would cost our current group of new players ( najee, moore, green, friermuth, dotson, claypool, johnson) years of waiting for a rookie to be groomed. we still get a 1st, 2nd, two 3rd round draft picks to add to the team. :cool:

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I never thought great about either one. I promise.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Doesn’t change the fact that they were thought of that way nationally.

Besides, you don’t think anyone is good besides Ben so you don’t count :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Touche !!!!!!!:duel:
    I will be that way about Whomever is behind center here. It's a fault of mine. I don't deny that, but I think I'm a fairly good judge of Qbs outside of the Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    So if we draft Willis, will you defend his honor with the same tenacity that you’ve defended Ben with?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No but I will never hear the end of it if he sucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah ....Probably, but He will have 2 not suck right from the beginning. I mean He has 2 give Me something 2 work with. LoL.