1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Senior Bowl Game Day Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    None of his physical traits are what NFL teams are looking for. Scheme also played a role in his numbers, kind of like Texas Tech QBs a few years back. He does have some smarts and intangibles though.

2. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Cleanest offensive drive by far. Ridder looked good.

3. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Biggest mismatch of the day has been the National D line vs. the American O line. Going to be interesting rewatching this game with a focus on the trenches.

4. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah we agree on something. I turned the game off. "Yeah we're just going through our process. Blah blah. Great kids. Blah blah." Meanwhile the game is going on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    LOL did any one think a Deuce Staley led team was gonna win :eek:

6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I don’t think the Steelers have a 5th round pick.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He's more athletic than Baker, and he has a strong arm.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Delvin Hodges lit up the stat sheet, too. Just saying.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK. I finally watched the game. Lots of talent out there. Not much for the Qbs. Pickett looked the best the little time He had, and Ridder the 2nd best. Everyone else looked like great back up Qbs. A bunch of one look take off players.
    This ....they've played football since they were 8 years old.... yet once they get 2 the NFL they will fix them is for the birds. Doesn't happen. You don't relearn all that playing. You can tweak things, but that's it. Also no Qb has that long . You suck for 3 years...your on the bench , or gone by the 5 th year.
    If Pickett is not there ....I would take a hard pass on a Qb till next Year, and I'm not entirely sold on Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. I think Pickett is the only one I’d take in the 1st. If he’s not there take the best available offensive linemen and let one of the QBs come to you in the 2nd. There’s always somebody that drops further than projected. I think Howell may be there with their second pick.

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes if Picketts not there....I definitely don't take a Qb in the 1st. Lot of Great talent 2 be had in the 1st....So no need 2 reach ,and miss on a Qb.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    That’s too harsh IMO. An all star game with 3-4 days of practice with their new playbook and the players they’re teamed up with doesn’t undo the positive tape that some of those guys have put together. Pickett and Howell had plenty of legit 1st round game tape put together against Power 5 competition. Maybe not Top 10 pick tape, but definitely mid-low 1st round tape. Ridder played pretty well. I think he solidified himself as going no lower than pick 50-60. I actually started watching some of his games after the Senior Bowl ended, and I may revise my view of him upwards. I could easily see him as a guy who could win with a solid team around him (like Jimmy Garappalo with better running ability). Strong looked awful, and I still haven’t really watched much tape of him, so I can’t say what I’m going to think of him. Willis and Zappe could have really benefited from solid game performances, and they didn’t deliver. However some folks swear that the practices are more important to NFL scouts, and Willis impressed in the practices. I’m definitely not high on Willis, but the raw talent is there if someone can flick on the lightbulb for him. Not 1st round material IMO, but he’ll probably go in the 1st anyway.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ridder needs a second look. nothing will jump off the charts but he seemed in control and seem to put the ball in the open receivers hands in a timely manner. good size. didn't seem like he was pushing. maybe not an instant starter but plenty to work with. maybe more like a cross between jimmy g. and josh allen. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Willis doesn't stay in the pocket and go through his progressions, he looks to run too often.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK. I hear what You are saying, but think on this.:hmm:
    Most Qbs that have gone on 2 be pretty good in the NFL have shined in the Senior bowl, and they went through the same routine, and practiced the same. Hell the Senior Bowl is were I change My whole feelings on J. Herbert. He looked like a Man amongst boys(not so much by stats) out there, but with his decision making, processing, and throwing.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Here’s a breakdown of the QB’s that performed at the Senior Bowl. I agree that Ridder looked best.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I like Rob Rang more than most of the draft media people out there. There’s a lesson in what he’s saying in that article about taking someone based on physical traits, and giving too much weight to how a player does in Senior Bowl week when his game film shows flags. He mentioned a few guys who elevated their status in R1, but ultimately didn’t pan out. One in particular stands out to me: EJ Manuel. Manuel’s college film always necessitated a projection of his raw talent to the NFL level because his film didn’t show an NFL caliber QB mentally. He flopped. Interestingly it was the Bills who paid for over drafting Manuel, and a new regime went back to the same well a few years later with Josh Allen and struck gold. So, sometimes the risk pays off.

I agree that Willis had a good week of practice, especially in the drills where there were no defenders. He handled the lousy weather day with ease. On game day he reverted to 1 read and go. Part of that was pressure, but he also took off out of a clean pocket without looking in more than 1 direction downfield. I also agree that Ridder had the best game of the QBs, and it really wasn’t even close. He was a bit more uneven in the practices, but certainly has enough physical traits to be a solid starter. Strong was a disaster. He never looked good for more than a rep or two during the week, and was mostly awful in the game. If it weren’t for what he accomplished during the past couple of seasons, I would have thought I was watching an undrafted free agent level QB. The other guys were varying degrees of OK during the week and the game. Pickett’s game stats look better than he looked on the field. The TD was a blown coverage, and the big pass play leading to the TD was a blown coverage where Pickett underthrew by a few yards and nearly bounced it to a wide open receiver. It’s great that he saw it and pounced, but it was 2-3” from being a lost opportunity. Howell was OK. Some good, some bad, but mostly what we know. He’s a gritty guy who can make plays, but he held the ball too long a few times either trying to make something happen that wasn’t there, or failing to see a guy flashing open. Unfortunately without All 22 film, we don’t know which (just like with Willis’ 1 read and go plays). Zappe doesn’t have NFL starter traits, but he did move the ball to some extent. Terrible interception at the end, but we don’t know if the receiver was supposed to do something else. It was far enough from the receiver that it’s hard to tell exactly what happened there. Overall it wasn’t a really good week for QBs, despite the gaga coverage being given to Willis.

I will admit that Pickett has me a bit spooked. I have watched their game vs. UNC a few times, and he was not good during the second half of that game when it was raining. He got the clincher in OT, but that was starting at the UNC 25 yard line. If anyone has links to video of other games where he played in rain and/or wind, please post. I’ll be looking for games like that. You CAN’T have a Steelers QB who is a different guy in bad weather. We want home games in January, and we want lousy weather to be an advantage.

You know who made out like a bandit last week? Matt Corral.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have 2 say I agree with almost all of this.
    Though please stay away from M. Corral. I have watched every game He has played. IMO. Not a one of these Qbs should be drafted in the 1st round. Especially knowing what is out there next year.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I hate the crystal ball approach. First of all, a lot can happen between now and next draft season, take Howell for example or Rattler for that matter. Whats coming out next year can bust just as easy as anyone this year. A very important part of the evaluation process that fans are not privy to is the interview, putting guys on the white board and seeing if you think he has it between the ears and getting a feel for it they are mentally tough enough and project a good work ethic. Willis is oozing with talent, the only thing that will stop him from excelling is if he doesn’t grasp the X’s and O’s and/or lazy.

Willis
    Pickett
    Howell
    Ridder
    Strong
    Corral

There is a good chance one or two of these guys will be solid pros. I don’t like the waiting for the “sure thing” to come along.

• Like Like x 2
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I could show You a list of Drafts where none of the Qbs ever turn out any better than backups, and none are that long ago. There are easily 3 Qbs coming out next year that are head, and shoulders better than what is coming out this Year. If they all were coming out this year.....the guys We are talking about now would be put on a back burner compare 2 them.
    Let Me ask You this.
    Would You have rather drafted a Qb from 2014 ,2015 or 2017?? Just a few 2 give examples.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    If you take the wrong guy at QB in the 1st round, especially if you trade up for him, you set the team back years. It’s not like trading up for a player at another position, for example our trade up for Bush. There’s a saying “if you have 2 quarterbacks, you have none.” If you invest high draft capital in a QB, he becomes the de facto future QB until it’s obvious that he isn’t. Any other QB you bring in has to deal with the fact that you drafted the other guy high, and are going to prioritize him (no matter what you might say about it being an open competition, blah blah). If you replace him in a year or two, the decision makers responsible for drafting and developing him are probably getting replaced as well (like when Arizona ditched Rosen after 1 year). You’ve listed 6 guys there, and said there’s a good chance that 1 or 2 become solid pros. I agree with that. That also means that the odds are that the one we take won’t be a solid pro. If you draft a QB high, he needs to be “the guy” or you just move on. There wasn’t a single QB at the Senior Bowl who looked like anything higher than pick #20, but some will go higher. Let someone else make that mistake.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You are comparing a known quantity to an unknown. You have no idea how anyone in this draft will do in the pros, I just pointed out how you don’t even have access to the interview process and it didn’t even make a dent. NO ONE HERE KNOWS! You’re all too in love with your scouting abilities, abilities that don’t even have all the necessary information to make a complete evaluation.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Or 2016 when teams were trying to move up for Goff and Wentz. A lot of draft capital moved around that year and they both suck.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You are totally correct. We don't know, but outside of (you, and a few believe J. Allen, and Lamar) how many have I gotten wrong. So far ....Mayfield, Lamar (I believe) , J. Rosen, Sam Darnold, and J. Allen (still IMO) I didn't believe in. Burrows, J. Herbert, and M. Jones I did. This is just a few. LoL. I'm a freaking draft Guru when it comes 2 Qbs. LoL :lolol:

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly. There are times the Qbs just shouldn't be in the 1st round, but because everyone thinks it will change everything they risk it, and yes it does change everything, but not always for the better.

• Winner Winner x 1