1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Senior Bowl 2020

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chainmover1, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Lots of these players will be drafted. Some by the Steelers probably. Since I don't watch hardly any college FB it would help if YOU [draftniks] would list some players worth watching and/or you think the Steelers might be [or should be]interested in.

Senior Bowl Roster

https://www.seniorbowl.com/the-game/rosters/

Meanwhile, Here are some players various sites think the Steelers are checking out.

https://stillcurtain.com/2020/01/21/senior-bowl-steelers-tight-ends/

Brycen Hopkins has the size that all NFL teams covet, including our Steelers, at this position at 6’5 and 245 pounds. He is a great red zone threat---

Jared Pinkney, Vanderbilt
    Another guy with size at 6’4 and 260, he had an amazing year during his Junior season but struggled this year.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/gm-report/steelers-senior-bowl

Steelers Join NFL in Preparing for Senior Bowl Week

RB: Josh Kelly (UCLA), Eno Benjamin (ASU) Ke'Shawn Vaughn (Vanderbilt),

TE: Brycen Hopkins (Purdue), Jared Pinkney (Vanderbilt)

G: Logan Stenberg (Kentucky), John Simpson (Clemson), Jonah Jackson (Ohio State)

NT: Raekwon Davis (Alabama), Robert Windsor (Penn State), Neville Gallimore

Hmm! Quite an assortment. a few of these players have already been recommended in threads here.

AskQuestionsLater

Top Three 2020 Draft Options; Pre Senior Bowl

1.) Ben Bredeson. This team needs to re-fortify the trenches with a plug n play starter. Ben is that and can be more in time.

2.) Byrcen Hopkins. Vance and Nick are not the answer. Time to get both Ben and Mason a real safety valve.

3.) J.K. Dobbins. James cannot stay healthy. Get a true feature back that can.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hi:

Thank you for putting me in your thread! Most appreciated! Regardless of circumstances, I still believe that, with a good showcase, Ben Bredeson is the team's top pick.

It is difficult enough to fortify continuity along the offensive line with a Rookie who is likely to need more refinement. Ben does have some work to do with his hand placement but everything else signifies him as a plug and play starter.

3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
  4. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    These players were taken in the 2017 draft. I couldn't find any other years.

Ehh! Not bad. Sutton could be another Deshea Townsend maybe.

But actually, we might be better off just sending the Scouts down there or even better yet fans from the board.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS
    Reese’s Senior Bowl Draftees: Cameron Sutton (CB, Tennessee), Josh Dobbs (QB, Tennessee), Colin Holba (LS, Louisville)
    Sutton doesn’t have all the measurables but has good feet and instincts. He can provide an upgrade in the Steelers secondary and slide inside to the nickel spot. Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said Dobbs checks all the boxes. He is phenomenal above-the-shoulders, in the locker room and has play-making ability. Dobbs was the 135th overall pick, like Dak Prescott last year. Holba was the only long snapper drafted and could be the successor to 36-year-old Steelers snapper Greg Warren.

5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I honestly do not know enough about any of these players to make comments, that said I know you follow this quite closely. The one thing you said makes great sense, to find a plug and play guy (at any position) with a 2nd round pick would be gold, and more likely at the G position. The team had a lot of productive snaps from their rookie class of 2019 and will need them to continue to take that next step. Would be nice to get a couple of guys like that this year, not impossible, yet still a lot of luck (even with the best research). You just never know how that player will respond to an NFL setting until he gets on the field.

At this time of year I look more for needs, and depending on who they keep (or possibly get in FA with limited funds) the G position is way up there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Bredeson has very short arms, his 31 1/2" arm length doesn't bother you?

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    That's still pretty long for a short arm. Just saying.........;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
  9. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Nope!!

Not always about length my friend. A lot more about technique. Athleticism does let you get away with some shortcomings but it cannot hide everything.

11. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    Considering I don't recall ever watching the Senior Bowl, well maybe some minutes having a drink on a Saturday afternoon, I found the following really shocking.

I somehow stumbled on the all time senior bowl roster site, and out of curiosity I took a look at some Steeler drafts to see if any players were on the list. Wow!

92 2 Levon Kirkland LB
    3 Joel Steed NT

93 2 Chad Brown ILB

94 2 Brentson BucknerDE
    ----3 Jason Gildon LB

95 3 Brenden Stai G
    ----4 Oliver Gibson DT

----6 Orpheus Roye DE

97 1 Chad Scott CB

98 3 Hines Ward WR
    ----4 Deshea Townsend DB

----2 Scott Shields DB
    ----3 Joey Porter LB

00 3 Hank Poteat CB
    ----5 Clark Haggans LB

01 2 Kendrell Bell ILB

I left out some O players [there were very few] but left Hines in

Well that's enough to see a pattern developing. Numerous excellent D players with very few misses.

I don't know about lately but it's clear Cowher mined this market a lot.

If. regardless of position, they can find players of this caliber I think they are back in business.

12. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    The game is today 2:30 NFL Network

Here are some players to watch

AskQuestionsLater said:

"I still believe that, with a good showcase, Ben Bredeson is the team's top pick."

--Very possible! Bredeson will be blocking first rate competition. What better venue to showcase.
    Top Three 2020 Draft Options; Pre Senior Bowl

1.) Ben Bredeson. This team needs to re-fortify the trenches with a plug n play starter. Ben is that and can be more in time.

2.) Byrcen Hopkins. Vance and Nick are not the answer. Time to get both Ben and Mason a real safety valve.

3.) J.K. Dobbins.[Not There] James cannot stay healthy. Get a true feature back that can.

Both BB and BH standouts. Numerous articles on them.

mac daddyo[picks from another thread]

Leki Fotu dt
    One of the Ohio state corners.
    One of the Ohio state wrs. [Hill is making big noise] day3 standout
    Zack baun olb
    Sean pollard c/g/g
    Cole McDonald qb

Anyhow my little research this off season has made me believe that this Senior Bowl could be the most important piece to the draft process of all. Including the combine all the film etc.

Now I'm just a casual fan but it seems to me that the competition faced in this game and the weeks practice is the best these players will have faced in their entire careers. Especially the trench players. The OL are facing the elite D players in the country and vice versa. Now I see why so many of the great Steeler D's of the 90's decade played in this game.

Well, they're there. find them!

13. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Ok. There is an obvious joke in that statement. LOL.

14. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    Damn! The Rosters have no uni #. I see, they wear their own school jersey and helmet.

Okay these are the players recommended to watch. If you are going to watch the game it will help.

Leki Fotu College: Utah Number: 99

Kenny Willekes College: Michigan State Number: 48.

Austin Mack (+) Coming off Oct 2018 Foot INJ College: Ohio State Number: 11

K.J. Hill College: Ohio State Number: 14

Brycen Hopkins College: Purdue Number: 89.

Zack Baun College: Wisconsin Number: 56

Ben Bredeson College: Michigan Number: 74

15. Hawaii 5-0

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Dang rubber boats. They keep deflating, then everyone is left saving themselves. :facepalm: