1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Senior Bowl 2018

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Jan 23, 2018.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    It is funny you mention that cause I do a lot of searching about the Shine game and the Senior bowl and I find articles about prospects for other teams by beat writers and stuff and rarely find any for the Steelers until closer to the draft. Right now I have found a lot of stuff on Denver, the Bill and the Titians.

2. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Kalen Ballage, what round is he projected to go.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Too bad the Steelers coaching staff is at the Pro Bowl instead of the Senior Bowl :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I haven't seen, but he seems to be tearing up the senior bowl practices.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Their scouts should be there though.

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    CBS has him as the #9 RB and 91st over all, I have read some sites have him as a later rounder.

• The Kalen Ballage train steamed ahead on Wednesday, as he continued to put his smooth athleticism on display in receiving drills and when he outran Oklahoma outside linebacker Ogbonnia Okoronkwo downfield on a wheel route. The Arizona Statespecimen also dominated in the blitz pickup drill. He's reminds me of David Johnson. That's not exaggeration.

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

The standard is the standard........

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Ballage from ASU big back 6-3 230 is a smooth smash mouth runner, he scored 8 TDs in one game against texas tech in 2016 7 rushing and 1 TD reception he had limited carries on a passing offense the most attempts he had in 4 years was 157 also a good receiver, he should be a solid pro, it would be nice if we could get him......

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That is funny cause one report I read this morning said he wasn't a smash mouth runner. It said even with his size he is more shifty. :shrug:

10. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    He doesnt shy away from hitting defenders when he has to ive seen him do it, he has quick feet that eliminates contact but he can be coached up at the pro level..........

His potential is hard for me to resist:

Scout rpt:
    Most of his success is thanks to his quick feet which allow him to make quick cuts in traffic. This helps Ballage find some running room even when things are tight at the line of scrimmage. He also flashes an explosive burst when he is focused and willing to let it all loose.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not saying nothing about his potential, it is just funny that one report I found this morning was opposite of what you said. I will have to look it up in my history when I get home.

12. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Your good with your reply, he has to be coached up in the pros but he only had a 126 carries his junior year and scored 15 TDs his senior year he had 157 carries for only 6 TDs, I just think he can be drafted later rounds and he does have all the things you want in a back:

http://www.statepress.com/article/2017/10/spopinion-the-case-for-kalen-ballage-nfl-running-back

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Here is what I read this morning, if this guys is around in the later rounds he sounds good. But with us drafting Connor in the 3rd and looking like we are bringing Bell back I am not interested in anything before the 6th round on any RB.

Kalen Ballage has a long and solid build for a running back prospect. His size helps him take some hits and keep on moving. However, Ballage shouldn’t be seen as a power runner because he doesn’t keep his legs moving after contact.

Most of his success is thanks to his quick feet which allow him to make quick cuts in traffic. This helps Ballage find some running room even when things are tight at the line of scrimmage. He also flashes an explosive burst when he is focused and willing to let it all lose

Full article:

https://withthefirstpick.com/2017/11/27/kalen-ballage-arizona-state-2018-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They definitely are and on second thought maybe we are better off with our coaches being in Orlando
    Rumor has it that they are auditioning for the Mickey Mouse,Goofy and Pluto positions at Disney....

• Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    To be joined by the top NFL brass trio of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Seriously though it sounds like ballage has some Lev Bell traits. Our line doesn't usually blow open big holes so a guy that can accelerate through small gaps would work well. Picking up the pass rush is also a trait we hold in high value in Pittsburgh. It will allow him to see the field sooner.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Some names that have kept popping up everyday when I read the observations from each day are:

WR Lazard & Chark
    DT Phillips, Brown & Hill
    LB Okoronkwo, Burks & Leonard
    OT Wynn

WR Hamilton continues his struggles from the Shrine game dropping passes here and the feel good story of LB Griffin continues. I have read Griffin has played different positions and has done it well...

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'll add another to your list NY. Had this guy listed earlier and keep seeing his name as well.

UNC CB MJ Stewart. Been watching a little of his tape. Physical guy, not afraid of the run, good at blitzing like Hilton was used this year. Not a press guy so don't know that the Steelers would be looking at him, unless they want competition for slot. He could take Sensabough or Gay's place. Seems to me, he might be in the 3-4 round range.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article162962993.html

https://scout.com/college/north-car...Earns-Best-Grade-of-All-UNC-Players-113407370

Dude had a ton of PBUs. Not many INTs but you can't discount 41 pbus. Like WJIII in that regard.

I'll have to watch if Pitts brings this guy in for a visit.

• Like Like x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I had Hill listed earlier too and I just think he could be some thunder to Gravedigger's lightning.

https://nflmocks.com/2018/01/24/2018-senior-bowl-nc-states-b-j-hill-stock-rise/

SC State Darius Leonard is a small school guy so don't know much about him, except he's athletic and a little smaller. Might be a guy they want to look at to help with those coverage units.

http://theundefeated.com/features/clemson-didnt-want-darius-leonard-but-now-the-nfl-does/

https://www.flofootball.com/article...acker-darius-leonard-is-an-nfl-caliber-talent

Looks like a big safety...

Speaking of safeties, I've been hearing a lot of buzz on Hawaii's safety Trayvon Henderson in the practice reports too.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yep, i mentioned henderson a while back. he and watts had a good week. fred warner whom i've mentioned as an ILB prospect was said to have shown a lot of athleticism this week too. i really like these 3 guys. :cool:

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes now that you mentioned him I went back and looked at the games notes on CBS and his name was thrown out a lot, nice catch.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So today I am reading some notes and I noticed the North team looks to be having a lot of success at a few spots. Obviously QB is the big draw for the North team so that makes me want to watch the CB's and S more on the South team. Some names that have been mentioned here and I have read about are CB's Neal and Stewart and at the S position Blanding and Matthews. This should be a good match up.

North team CB's Yiadom, King, Dawson and DeLuca all are being said to stand out. The South is "weak" at QB so these guys could shine. I will also be watching the S Henderson, Watts and White in this match ups as well.

A name that I just noticed is RB Samuels , I was reading he lines up all over and showed "great patience" at the LOS, sound like anyone we know???? I will have to watch this as I have said in the past draft I want a guy like Bell as his back up in case Bell does go down we are not totally changing our style of offense.

With the North being so strong at QB guys like TE's Gesicki and Fumugalli will have my eyes on them. I know all the WR's could be talked about on the North team due to the QB's but I have read Berrios has been the best. Hamilton from Penn St has had a bad couple weeks with tons of drops.

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Missed the first half unfortunately. QB Lauletta looked real good in the second half though. No defenders stood out to me. Seemed like the lineman were going about half speed but game wasn't close and its an all star game lol.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Pretty interesting game I really didn't get a good look/feel for the top CB's or S's we all talked about. Did noting the oline for both team mostly looked bad especially the OT's. Here are some of my thoughts and they will bounce all over.

ILB McCray got some pressure on the first series and had good coverage in the 2nd. over all showed good coverage skills.

QB White had a nice game for the South

RB Penny lived up to his billing, ran and caught the ball well, had a long td run which S Henderson wiffed on.

One of the only bright spots on the oline was OG Hernandez, he looked good and pulled well.

RB Ballage ran strong looked good lowered his should to finish the run....I liked that.

WR Chark had a very good game, did notice a little showboating on his TD but happy with his performance.

DT Brown was fast off the ball and had good pressure and strength all game.

ILB Leonard made plays, he did give up a td but it was very good coverage but the throw was perfect.

S Reaves had a nice stop on 4th down early in the game then had a nice legal hit on WR Gallup on the very next play got an INT.

CB King had a nice pass break up in the end zone on a fade route which lead to an int.

ILB Burks was around the ball a ton and made some plays nothing overwhelming.

TE Conklin made a great catch on a fade throw in the end zone(that was the Leonard play)

DE Okoronkwo is a speed rusher, they say he is under sized but he made some plays caused a fumble.

WR Smith had a very quite but productive game including a td

OLB Haynes had a heck of a strip sack.

TE's seemed to have nice games Smythe, Thomas, Yelder and Gesicki had catches but Gesicki looked slow. Yelder another WKU TE had a TD

DE Davenport had a very nice game.

Poona Ford(DT), MJ Stewart(CB), Quin Blanding(S), Allen Lazard(WR), Harrison Phillips(DT), Jone(DT) all had a play or two as well and didn't hurt their stock any.

LS Carew made tackle after tackle on punts......looks like he will be on our radar :facepalm:

A few players that didn't look good Hamilton(WR) again, Lewis(DE) and Joseph(CB) just didn't make plays.

And of course MVP QB LauLetta had a very nice game with 3 TD's

Over all there was a lot of players who help themselves then there were that didn't imo. QB White and RB's Penny and Ballage are guys if around later in the draft I would like to see us go after.

• Like Like x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1