1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Seattles 15 man team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by fbsketcher, Nov 30, 2015.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Right. That play wasn't over. It's not like he jumped on the back of his calves, or double fist hit him in the back of the head. He two-hand touched him to make sure he went out of bounds. It was harmless and less than what you see countless times throughout the season.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think this is some fallout from the Hochuli you aren't old enough to get that call fiasco and the perception that they aren't protecting these young running QB'S which is ironic because Ben got killed again during the game.

3. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I really don't want to complain about officiating. I'd just like some consistency on rulings.
    The one that still has me scratching my head is the contested catch that was recovered by Seattle on the sidelines. I'm not sure what makes a catch (neither are they), and I'm not even sure he was in bounds to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    What bothers me the most about that "late hit" is that the official right on top of the play didn't throw the flag. The official way behind the play did. On top of that Wilson flopped out of bounds making it look way worse than it was.

I won't blame the refs for Sunday's loss, but they did the Steelers no favors. Sherman can do whatever he wants to receivers and not get called. And can someone please clear this up, can you challenge a play without throwing the flag and just yelling challenge?

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

There was some interference but IMHO it did not cause ABs left leg to get caught up and cause his fall. You can clearly see the left leg get snagged on the right leg.

6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Really? We've seen Steelers CB's get flagged for less. You can't grab the outside shoulder and stand the receiver up when you miss your jam on him.

Brown is in stride going through his route and he's clearly stood up which breaks his stride (Read the reason his legs got caught up.) You can not seriously be saying that in todays NFL, that's not at the very least illegal contact.

7. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Looks to me like the contact caused AB to be off balance and get his feet tied up and trip. I do believe this happens anywhere except Seattle and it gets a flag but that whole 12th man BS just influences everything, even the refs.

8. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    No doubt. In last week's Packers/Vikings game Anthony Barr got flagged for illegal contact when the Packers TE made it look like he was going to engage him in a block, Barr sheds the contact and tries to make a play on the slot receiver. Heck besides the Sherman bs, Wagner was grabbing guys and holding them as the ran their routes. It was sickening to watch because Simms has to pretend it didn't actually happen. When the commentator has to say he may have got away with a hold there and have an edge to his voice.

9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I liked the comment about Chuck Noll saying play better than the refs ref. Three of those interceptions wouldn't have happened if the Steelers were playing to win. 4th quarter, have the lead, 3rd and short, what do you do? Wing it down the field! 4th quarter, playing from behind, 3rd and short, what do you do? Wing it down the field. Beginning of 2nd quarter, ball in FG range, 4th down, what do you do? Throw late across the field. The game plan just did not contribute to the team overcoming the poor officiating.

10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Look at this way: if every play that you think the refs blew went the way you wanted it to, but the teams were reversed, would you still think it was right?

Examples:
    Suppose they ruled that Wheaton made a legal catch, but it was Graham instead, would you still argue it was a catch, or would this board be lit up complaining that it was a bobbled catch.

Ben gets shoved out of bounds and takes out the Stanford band, you still happy with no PF call?

Kearse jostles with Blake and falls down, maybe Blake does most of the shoving, more than 5yds downfield and makes a pick. You still arguing for illegal contact or does incidental contact seem like the right call?

I've lived in 4 different NFL cities and followed por football for 50 years, and I have yet to hear a fan base think that the refs were in their favor.

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I have zero problems with the refs adhering to the rules but I do have a problem with refs who aren't flagging plays because they are tired of watching the Seahawks breaking them and just don't want the game slowed down. As I say with hockey and to a lesser degree basketball, if it is a penalty in the first quarter it should be a penalty in the last quarter as well.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I believe some of us here have come out and said there should have been flags on the Steelers or that they got away with one when they shouldn't have.

Most have thought that Mitchell was playing on the edge with some of his late hit crap.

I was looking for a taunting flag on Wheaton when he went for the TD holding the ball out and saying something to the DB! (still don't know how he got away with that one, maybe because he didn't hold it out towards the defender?)

Hell, I'd be happy if they just caught all the egregious calls correct. I think everyone is confused as to what a catch is today.

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    So now, the crew that officiated the 9ers/Cards game have been demoted from the Sunday night game due to poor officiating. Along those lines, the crew that did this game should be demoted to doing Pop Warner!

14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude. Just. Dude. It is absolutely NOT a penalty to hit a guy IN BOUNDS! Football is not horseshoes and hand grenades. "Close" doesn't equal a penalty. I don't know how we can know this but the morons getting paid to make these calls can not. I don't even believe that it's a matter of opinion to say the officiating was beyond awful. That is an indisputable fact. To call the Chancellor play an INT when he landed out of bounds and didn't "follow through" and "maintain possession" is on par with the Fail Mary. Also their "fans" are absolutely bandwagon and there's more football knowledge on this board than there is when they sell out their whole stadium. Period. You are spot on my man.