1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sean Davis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Hypothetical, if sean davis is deemed healthy enough to return and wants to return, would you try to work in the line up over Edmunds? Davis has played both SS and FS. I know davis isn't a world beater but to me he seemed better than Edmunds, who is close to artie burns territory and is the obvious weak link on the defense

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Edmunds is better, and faster.

Barron is the weak link imo followed by Bince.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Nope edmunds is better

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Heck no Edmunds is much better. Davis is purely depth if healthy at this point

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I think Mason Rudolph should start at Strong Safety over Edmunds. Would love to see Steelers304's posts if this would happen.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Terrell Edmunds is now in Artie Burns territory?! Fascinating indeed. Strong Safeties are not really supposed to be ballhawks by trade. Heck, Jamal Adams has one on the season. :eek:

This by no means exonerates Terrell's lack of ball tracking capabilities; Tyler Boyd being his latest blemish on his record. That said, and again, Terrell Edmunds has only three years of experience playing the position overall compared to a DECADE'S worth in the vein of someone like Jamal Adams or even his own classmates in the likes of Derwin James or even Ronnie Harrison.

Give. Him. Time. He will develop. Not every player in the First Round is supposed to be Devin Bush or T.J. Watt. For that matter, as stated before, their circumstances could not be any more different than Terrell's; T.J.s doubly so and without question.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He isn't a rookie anymore and in terms of tracking the ball, he has made no progress at all. He still sucks at it.

8. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Edmunds needs the time and the reps.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Sure does. I am not personally saying Terrell is above being critiqued here. All I am stating is that more time is needed for him for a final assessment.

Artie Burns played Corner since his Freshman Year in High School. Terrell started his journey of being a safety in his Juinor Year at Virgina Tech. Massive experience gap there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I wish he would turn his head around and make a play on the ball for once, but man idk about benching... He's largely been pretty good for us (albeit quiet since our defense is literally stacked with play makers). I think being a solid piece in a really good defense is good enough. Idk. Hell, he's only 22 and in the middle of his second year. I really don't think its time to give up on someone who hasn't been awful.

This really seems to feel like a Dupree situation all over again. We take a project type player with elite physical tools in the latter part of the first round, and people are already talking about bust just because he isn't an all pro in his second season. Its not like either him or Dupree were bad either, they just aren't what everyone hoped right out of the gate (idk where people set expectations anymore). He has been more than fine... The talent is there, just let the kid play and get better. We can start talking about what he is and isn't sometime around the end of his third season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    and to answer the OP... no. We do not send Sean Davis in over Terrell Edmunds in any version of reality. Davis will be gone after the year is over and we have Edmunds for at least 2 more with an option for a 3rd. It's really an easy, no-brainer decision.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Davis is a free agent, and I expect that some team out there will take a chance and pay him low-tier starter money. If we retain him, he’s a backup who can fill in at either safety spot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He needs to go and I Thank him for now having a game changing Free Safety.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If I can paraphrase Al Bundy. Who would you rather have at safety? A-Sean Davis? Or B? The answer is B.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Sean Davis: ‘That’d Be Clutch If I Could Come Back And Add’ To Defensive Efforts

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on December 7, 2019

Do you remember Sean Davis? It seems that, to no great surprise, mans Pittsburgh Steelers fans have entirely forgotten about him, but that was the byproduct of acquiring an effective, impact safety via in-season trade who slid directly into the starting lineup, took over his role, and did far more with it than he ever did.

That’s no slight to Davis, because in spite of what many fans feel, I do consider him to be a good player and believe he was still growing into the free safety role. But after three years of solid health, even if it meant playing through injury, the bug bit him hard this year, and he ended up being put on the Reserve/Injured List after two games.

The subsequent roster transaction at that time was the acquisition of Minkah Fitzpatrick from the Miami Dolphins in exchange for a first-round pick and the swapping of some less significant picks toward the back end of the draft.

The second-year safety has since recorded five interceptions, had a hand in a number of forced fumbles and recoveries, and has scored twice defensively, all the while providing security against the deep ball and showing the ability to play against the run as well with the requisite physicality.

Davis, meanwhile, understands his situation. He is heading into free agency next year. While he is effectively sitting out this season due to injury, he has three years of tape. Somebody is going to sign him, I’m fairly confident of that.

That doesn’t mean he doesn’t still want to play this year. “The team’s looking good, making a playoff push. That’d be clutch if I could come back and add to it”, he said, “but just waiting, still trying to heal up and do all I can. If they call me, I’ll be ready”.

That said, he also told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he is still recovering from his torn labrum. “I know I can’t play. I’m progressing, and I would love to play, but I’m not going to put myself in harm’s way”, he said. “I don’t do myself or the team justice only being able to go halfway or being timid”.

Technically speaking, Davis is eligible to be activated from the Reserve/Injured List at any point, because he has already been there for over eight weeks. There don’t appear to be any indications of them beginning that process, and chances are, it won’t happen unless there is an injury in the secondary.

And where would he fit in, anyway? Fitzpatrick is at free safety, Terrell Edmunds at strong. Mike Hilton is their nickel, Cameron Sutton the dime. Even he said when asked where he would fit in, “I’m not sure”, adding that “safety’s what I do”, but regardless of what he might think of himself, it’s not a mystery that they wouldn’t install him into the starting lineup.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/12/se...nsive-efforts/

16. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Sean Davis will not be back next year. He will get overpaid by some team thinking he can be their starting safety.
    If we cant get Gravedigger to sign a respectable contract with us next year then the 2016 draft will have been a total failure. O well at least we still have Dirty Red right?

17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    FCB17AC7-A8D9-499C-9E3F-12DA3684AE14.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He is the ULTIMATE exception. :lolol:

Until another Strong Safety wins DPOY, the rule remains the same.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You must smoke very strong herb

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He could take those cam kelly reps.:cool:

21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Did anybody feel the same way about MR in his first year of playing? Seems like many on this board absolutely did not. Just an observation.

22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Troy was so good coaches let him do what he wanted

23. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Davis is done here . No thanks …..Very average

24. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I think the difference is that Edmunds only has a few years of experience playing the position. He clearly has all the physical tools but needs more time and experience to learn

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I've seen that excuse quite a bit, but it doesn't explain his lack of ball skills. Edmunds looks very much like what I always thought he would be, a player with upside that is nothing special who should have been taken no higher than the third round.