1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sean Davis: The Turnaround?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Since the beginning of the season, I have been quite vocal about what happened to Sean Davis. A recipient of the "Joe Greene Great Performance Award", given to the Steelers best rookie, I was expecting his "Sophomore Surge" to begin right out of the gate against Cleveland..

Sadly though.., that was not the case. In fact, it would take until week six against Kansas City for us to see him again in true action; his performance against Jacksonville being essentially a ret con of what we saw in the 2016 "Dallas Debacle".

How ironic though that his performance would yet again ret con what he did to the Chiefs in the 2016 AFC Divisional Playoff Game? Not only did he deny Demetrius Harris (again) in the endzone but also made some good plays throughout.

Now, heading into this game, I was expecting an upward trajectory for him. I did not expect this;

[​IMG]

While that, for one, Pro Football Focus is very subjective and two, all ratings by said website are subject to change, the fact is that Sean Davis is starting to get better and better each week. Add the fact that both Travis Kelce and Tyler Kroft did not register more than five catches nor a touchdown against him also speaks on his improvement in handling tight ends as well.

Next week he will face the likes of Eric Ebron and Theo Riddick. Given his improvement over these last two weeks though, one has to assume he has no where to go but up.

That being said, what are your thoughts fellow members? Are we simply seeing just mere flashes in the pan or is this the start of something better?

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think he will get better but unfortunately safeties will still be our weak link

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i've had faith in the kid and he has always done some good things and some not so good, but so have the rest. he's getting there. :cool:

4. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The coaches put him in a position where he didn't have to think. I hate saying that but he plays well when he lines up in man or quarters coverage and takes an assignment. He is completely lost when he plays the pure safety position in which he has to read and react, he either doesn't have a good football I.Q. or isn't smart enough to learn or both. He has the physical gifts to play at a high level and as I said, he looks really good when he just lines up to cover but if he has to pick up a guy while reading the receivers in zone coverage, he consistently makes not just wrong reads but really bad reads and he is constantly out of position. I'm thinking the coaches are now understanding what his limitations are and they are playing him in more of an assigned role rather than letting him think about what he has to do.

• Agree Agree x 1