1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Señor Sack

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Feb 28, 2023.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I would have loved to have seen what the Steelers would have done had they drafted Dan Marino in the first round in 1983. I think they’d have had a chance to win another Super Bowl or two. But I also remember how excited I was as a fan when we drafted Gabe Rivera out of Texas Tech and didn’t blame the Steelers one bit at the time for passing on Marino. The Steelers had just drafted Mark Malone in the first round a year or two before and still had hopes that he’d be the heir apparent to Bradshaw. Of course that didn’t work out and through the benefit of hindsight everybody wants to criticize the Steelers for not drafting Marino. But to show you how freakishly athletic, strong and fast Rivera was take a look at some of these college highlights. He’s a little hard to follow but just look for the biggest guy on the field running around making plays. And if you only watch one highlight from this video, go to 1:46 and watch him chase the quarterback down from behind 40 yards downfield. He was awesome and it’s a shame that a bad decision on a rainy night cost him his career.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022

So what happened? I read where he was drunk going home after practice. Did he stop at a bar after practice or something?

3. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Based on news reports at the time, he stopped at a bar on his way home from practice, left around 9pm and made the fateful mistake of getting behind the wheel and driving while intoxicated. He crossed the center line, hit another car head on and was paralyzed from the waist down until his death at the age of 57 a few years ago. Very sad story.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    He had the Joe Greene combination of quickness and strength. I remember being disappointed when they passed on Marino, and then being more disappointed when I heard the news about Rivera.

• Like Like x 5
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I don’t remember who but he was drinking with one of the defensive coaches

He also was not wearing a seatbelt which would have prevented him from having been thrown out the back window of his Datsun 280 Z which caused the paralysis

I saw a game where he looped around the right side and the play was a quick pass to a receiver on the other side

It took about 70 yards but Rivera ran the receiver down from the back and tackled him

• Like Like x 4
  6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    That's why Noll drafted him, he thought that Rivera could be the next Joe Greene.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I remember reading something about the supposed discussions they had before the draft. There was talk about Marino, but they had both Stoudt and Malone (we know how that worked out, and really wanted to build the D has they had in the beginning. It's easy to look back and wonder what might have been with Marino, but no doubt Rivera was worthy of that first round pick and had the talent to be something special.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Kind of like Michelle Briere of the Penguins. Really promising rookie that got killed in a car crash. Tragic

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's still unbelievable they passed on Marino, a guy who played in their backyard :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There is a sad irony to the story if you believe the rumors that they passed on Marino due to concerns about him partying and doing drugs in college only to have the guy they picked instead of him drive drunk and get into an accident that paralyzed him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, thats crazy, I didn’t know he went out the back window. Imagine how violent that crash must have been for that to happen.

On a side note, my friend almost died in the same model car. When I saw the remains of the car I was amazed he survived. Thing was demolished.

12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    And Len Bias...The night he was drafted he did Cocaine ( rumors were he had never done any drugs before ) and he got caught up with the wrong crowd...

I was a huge Celtics Fan, and this was when Bird ,McHale, Parrish et al ,were all in their prime...Said Bias " potentially " could have been the next Jordan!

So sad, What could have been

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I have seen a total of one NBA game live

I saw Bird play against Jordan in Chicago

I figure if I’m only going to see one that was a good one

(And some day I’m going to get to Our Gangs Lounge)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Wow...Bird was my all time favorite player, and Air Jordan was number 2!

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Never seen Bird play live, but I did see the Bulls with Jordan, Pippin, Rodman, Kerr, and so on a few times live in 1996....well the year they beat Seattle Super Sonics in the Championship....I believe it was 96....maybe 97.:shrug:

• Like Like x 2
  16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Same here. I saw Jordan play in Atlanta. I sat behind a guy that heckled the crap out of Rodman all night. Kept calling him “snow cone head” because of the colorful hairstyle he had at that time, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I saw the same group around that same timeframe in Atlanta.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yes a very sad irony indeed, also the fact the Marino was not big on drugs but did some partying as all normal boys do. It was just so close to home and just got blown out of proportion. It would of been something special if he played for the Steelers.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1