1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Scrap's 2012 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Scrap, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would love to see these picks in the upcoming draft and I think they are highly likely as well. At the end of it i noticed it is primarily defensive, but that makes sense because I think our defense is in really dire need given the retirements and just age and health of our boys. We are a defensive team lets keep it that way. Only doing 5 rounds.

1st Round: Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

Now don't get me wrong if DeCastro is here when we pick it would be very hard to pass on him but I think it is more likely we get the ILB. Hightower will be BPA at this point in the draft also and I think everyone would be happy with this pick.

2nd Round: Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

DL is staying, Keith Butler is staying... the 3-4 is staying. Casey Hampton has a torn ACL and is most likely done or at least will be in another year. The cog of the 3-4 starts up front with the NT and besides Dontari Poe, Ta'amu is the one of the only big DL talents that can fill a NT spot in the draft. He would actually be really good value here.

3rd Round: Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State

Yeah our defense has holes to fill but our line has needed talent for years now. We are hopefully okay at tackle with Colon coming back and hopefully Pouncey can stay healthy but we REALLY need depth at guard. Hopeing Silatolu is there at this spot is kind of a stretch, but its possible. We may be even to package some type of trade to move up a bit to get him but the Steelers are not really known for doing that. If Silatolu isn't there at this spot and we don't/can't move up I would look at Brandon Brooks from Miami (Ohio), he is HUGE 350+ guy who can move well for such a big frame.

4rd Round: Casey Heyward, CB, Vanderbilt

This pick seems like more of the same, drafting corners in the middle rounds and having them sit around on the roster and eventually cut. I know we have some young guys already waiting in the wings but you can never have too much talent at the corner position and hopefully the FO starts realizing that... especially in today's NFL. I think Heyward can be a "diamond in the rough" type prospect. He is not very tall but he plays big kind of like Brandon Flowers on the Chiefs.

5th Round: Tremaine Thomas, FS, Alabama

We need depth at safety. He played FS at Alabama and had 5 picks out of the 11 Alabama had on defense, and we also need more turnovers. Clark and Troy are both getting up there in age but I am not sure if Thomas could convert to SS if needed but I do not see why he couldn't.

I will be updating these picks as we get closer to draft day and will add in the rest of our picks.

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Here’s who I want to get

1. Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College
    2. Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis
    3. Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn
    4. Omar Bolden, CB, Arizona State
    5. Chris Gallipo, OLB, USC

3. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Getting Keuchly and Poe would be amazing! However I was basing my picks on what would be likely and realistic. Now I wouldn't say it would be impossible to get both those guys but I think Keuchly will be gone before we pick and Poe may possibly be gone as well with NTs being more in demand these days. However I would consider taking Poe in the first and that would let us get a guard in the 2nd round but I need to do more research, the mock will be changing every week or so.

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Not too bad though I dont know much about the 3rd and 5th rd pick. However I think it is a MUST that they choose OL with one of the first 2 picks...they need a higher talent level like that...someone who could step in from day one. Not saying you're 3rd round pick couldnt...but I've heard NOTHING about the guy before. Other than that not bad...but not 100% sure I'd use a 4th on another CB (we really dont have room for anymore CBs).

5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Announced today we may have gotten a short term fixture at safety (Myron Rolle), so 4th round safety, barring someone falling way down, won't be much of a priority. And agree with gpguy, not much room for any more cornerbacks, especially if we re-sign Gay, which I believe we'll do because I don't see that much demand for him. He's good in our system (at least he was this year), but probably not in a different system.

I would be happy with either scrap's or bigsteelerfans first three rounds. Same positions, different names. Any combination of the two.

Fourth i would probably want more offensive line depth, maybe nix or miller (guard) or reynolds, potter or datko (tackle). Also wouldn't mind a position of less need, like wr or rb, if someone like McNutt or James drop for some reason. Wouldn't mind a 6' 4" wr, truth be told. Would even take Osweiler if he falls that far.

Fifth, maybe it is time to actually draft a fullback. Johnson from Texas has good size (5' 11", 250) decent speed, and is used to being used as a lead blocker.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have a spot where mcfadden used to be. i don't think he stays. :cool:

7. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Im hoping for a 1. Mike Adams OT 2 Billy Winn DE 3.Mike Martin NT 4Joe Looney OG and a kicker somewhere towards the end. Martin not big but can move..... think he would be good guy to bring in . Bite the bullet and get some young talent to replace the Age/Salery that will be leaving

8. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I do not see Mike Martin being an NT...just going on his size and the little bit of stuff I've read about him...he seems more like a 4-3 DT...also most places have him graded at a round 4-5 pick.

I'd also say no to a DE in the second...maybe a late rounder but its no where near a 2nd round need.

Joe Looney...never heard of him...so I decided to look into him...some sites didnt even list the guy...a couple did and graded him at a round 7-FA prospect (15-17th ranked OG). I'd have to pass.

Now not saying these sites know everything and all and yes sometimes someone goes higher or lower or whatever...but when there are a number of them saying the same...you can get a decent idea about a player, their ranking, etc. There could easily be a lot better players/etc available in these rounds to choose from besides these guys.

9. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

Martin about size of Chris Hoke- (who when he was forced in games as a starter the Steelers have went 18-1). I like that quickness off ball. Teams dont run as much in the new NFL so I think a strrong quick guy may be the way the 3-4 will have to evolve. I watch a Wake game and Looney was pretty good, I thought he had good feet and got movement- I have no idea where you , the sites, or he will be drafted. He may be a tard, who knows.... the Steelers draft, not us (but I will be waiting for you pre draft guide). Just again these where the guys I would like to see.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not sold yet on Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama. Looks like he has stiff hips to me to turn around and cover a guy down the field.

Larry Foote could stop the run, but struggled defending the pass too. I'm not saying he is another Larry Foote, but in today's NFL the ILB's can't be one trick ponies.

11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the idea that we've got no room at CB is laughable. I know how many guys we've got, but did you see who they are? They include William Gay and the guy that William Gay replaced, Bryant McFadden. I think everyone in the country can agree that neither of these guys are the long-term solution. I don't care what Gay did last season; you're going to keep him over someone with a chance of being somebody?

Do we have room for a 7th rounder with little to no chance of making the squad? Maybe, maybe not. But if one of the top players falls to us in the first couple rounds, I think we'd be nuts to say, "But we can't, we've already got Gay!"

12. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Wow...I forgot all about BMac! Yeah with his contract...I think 2.5 mil or so this yr...he is probably gone. So that could open up one more spot for a CB or even an extra S (who might be able to play CB if needed).

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Depends on the FO's thoughts on Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown, maybe they think they are both future stars? If that is the case you could just draft a late CB to play special teams.

14. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Depends on the FO's thoughts on Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown, maybe they think they are both future stars? If that is the case you could just draft a late CB to play special teams.[/quote:1ya5w96i]
    Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I don't think they're busts, but "stars" is a long way from where they are now. Lewis? He's stepped up to nickel level. Will he leap to starter status in his 4th year? As of now we have one proven starter, in his 30s and losing speed. We don't need a late rounder for ST. We got plenty of those. We need high quality. Just like OL -- Numbers we have, talent is questionable. I would be just fine taking a top flight CB in rounds one or two, if it works out that way.

15. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

My thoughts exactly. I did not really want to wait until later in the draft to get a CB prospect but all the top guys will go early on (as they normally do these days) and I think Casey Heyward is gonna be really good in the NFL. People underestimate how much it can mean to a defense, hell, the whole team to have REALLY strong corner play. Imagine how many more sacks and fumbles we would say if the Qbs had to wait another 2-3 seconds.

But the truth is, we have never really gotten to say what any of the guys on our bench are made of. I guess its apparent Keenan Lewis is never going to be anything special... I still say we move him to safety for depth but may be too late now. And then Cortez and Curtis are just wildcards I suppose but like i said, you can never have too much corner depth/talent! Not in todays NFL anyways.