1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Scouting opponents penalty tendencies

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    When viewing tape of opponents, I assume the coaching staff notices things like O-lineman tending to leave early and long snappers twitching. I also assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the players know such things, and might adjust accordingly.

Do coaches get an opportunity to discuss such things with the officiating crew? Things like "Hey I ask you to watch the left guard - he often commits false starts", or "What about their long snapper - he fiddles with the ball and simulates a snap. Isn't that illegal?", or even "How tightly are you going to call holding this game? Or pass interference? My players want to know". Or are they left to figure it out as the game progresses? It'd be great if they were at least able to have a nice chat prior to the game. Not that the Steelers would make any adjustments.

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I think they do. There was a big stink about it when Tomlin went off on the officials in one of the games.

I know Cowher did because there was something about it when he stuck that photo in the Refs shirt!

I still don't know how you're not in that guys ear after every play the Tackle was false starting!