1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Scouting Combine

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Karl, Mar 1, 2024.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    They will be measured at their pro day

No big deal

Theoretically they should have their best numbers where they are used to training

Have a bad combine and drop two spots from 6 to 8 and you just lost $7M

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Quinyon Mitchell :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers met with Odunze. Imagine they throw everyone a curve and take a WR rd 1. Odunze will be gone by 20 but they met with a lot of WR’s.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe they will trade Diontae, then trade up for Odunze.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I still think they will look to add a FA WR.

My wish list for Evans is gone, said he wants to go to a SB team and be paid like a top WR.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’ve been a big Odunze fan since watching a Washington game early in the season. He is the real deal. I’m not feeling a WR in the 1st though, and it would probably take a jump to the lower part of the Top 10 to get him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I keep reading they are gonna trade their 2 and DJ for JF....if they could get CHI 3rd and 5th for that trade I wouldn't complain

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I listed My 5 up above. Doesn't mean anything, but I like them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I want no part of a 6’2” 171lb cb. I wouldn’t be surprised if Wiggins drops

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He won't stay 171 in the NFL. Almost Nobody stays the weight they are drafted at. He tackles pretty well at the weight he's at, and I believe forced some fumbles this year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I know he will put on some weight, but do you really want to wait two years

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The way the NFL is going....if He can cover is what we need...., and he can grow into the rest. 20 years ago....no....today yes. Also I didn't list those CBs in order of How I like them....I just listed the top 5 that I liked.

13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Wiggins had an outstanding combine he will go in the top 12-15, no one has to worry about him being there at #20.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed, could care less about his weight. His height and length are more important. Just needs to get an arm in there to break a pass up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Amarius Mims at 6'7" 340 lbs just ran a 5.0 forty. Most Steelers mocks that I've seen has us taking him.
    Dang, Mims just pulled a hammy during his second forty run.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Early on (last few weeks of the regular season) a couple of mock drafts kept pairing the Steelers with a WR with one of their first three picks, often the first. Worthy, Egbuka (now returning for his final year), and Johnny Wilson were all names I remember seeing. I didn't agree with the idea given the larger needs at C, OT, and DB, but then again, with things like DJ entering the final year of his contract and Robinson at the time seeming like a sure-fire cap casualty, the WR room wasn't exactly hurting for space.

Hard to tell their intentions with the existing group - there are rumors **warning: content not yet approved by jeh, void were prohibited** they are looking at a possible extension for DJ, as well as Robinson at a lowered cost, but a case could be made for the position.

Personally I still think they need to shore up the lines and address holes in the secondary first. It'll be interesting to see what they do once free agency begins in a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup, free agency will dictate where they go in the draft. I think WR will be very much in play in the first.

And who knows, maybe the even move Pickens after getting a glimpse of how difficult he can be. Recent report that NFL executives think it will end very badly in Pittsburgh with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Good thing there is 4 left then. :thumbs_up:

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they did bring in Marquez Callaway from the Saints. robinson and the 10 mil. savings will go a long way. :cool:

20. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I forgot about that. Lol, the quintessential Mac pickup we'll be hearing about all year ;)

21. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Interested in where McKinstry fits for you. The Jones fracture kept him out of the combine, but doesn't look to be anything serious.

I'm still good with him, but with recent mock trends if the Steelers are looking at him as the best available CB it likely means a Powers-Johnson, Mims, or maybe even Latham or Fuaga are available and would likely be the better athletes.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I liked Him, but as soon as the injury showed up....I got scared of the whole thing. Could be nothing, but :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    LB's
    I liked Payton Wilson's combine; I don't think he is just a shower.
    He'd be a good addition at Inside LB. I like his coverage skills a lot.
    Not sure where he goes though, OT is my first priority, maybe in the 2nd if he's there.

Cooper is more gifted; I have no heartburn there either.

The CB's seem deep this year. Melton is a solid CB but will likely be gone - I don't want a CB with the first pick.
    Wiggins and Dial probably will be too... but if they are there, get them.

QB
    Williams is no doubt the cream of this crop. What I can't answer is his head issues.
    Washington may have backed off entertaining any idea of a trade for the first pick and they have plenty of resources to do so.
    Instead, I think they may have taken a shine to McCarthy who is just rising among the ranks. He's smart and has that QB mentality that 'could' make him very special. It's a gamble.

Center
    Tanor Bortolini is certainly athletic. I was a bit surprised by his speed.
    Zach Frasier is still one to keep an eye on.

I've heard the Steelers might float a trade with D.J. which to me is a good thing. I'm not big on his attitude and he's certainly no benefit to our QB.
    Still, if I could find a WR in the mold of say Terry McLaurin, a guy who sets the standard, I would take him in a second and send DJ packing.

OT's
    I think there is more quality than I originally thought. The trick is, getting in their heads and figuring out where they are.
    Joe Alt is amazing, there's no doubt about that. if GM's loose their minds and let him fall to 20, shame on them. That's not going to happen though.
    I think Latham or Mins are there though.
    I think a run at QB would probably play to our benefit. I'm hoping for an OT so go get your QB other teams.

OT, C, ILB, CB, OL, DL, QB seems to be the picks I would like for... though I would easily swap QB for maybe another LB. I think the 4th QB could come in undrafted FA.
    But then again, a lot depends on Free Agency.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    If the plan really is to give KP the best opportunity to find success, protection and weapons will be priority. I feel like we added weapons the last 2 drafts though.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think he is a head case in the traditional sense. He is entitled and arrogant. He also has quite a bit of NIL in the bank already, so he's not afraid to stand up to NFL teams. Remember, this is he guy who said he wants a percentage of the team that drafts him. It seems like he is just an arrogant kid who might be overplaying his hand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1