1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Scouting Combine

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Karl, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Yesterday the Steelers brass seemed to be focused on the LB's slightly more than the Defensive linemen. But I think the laser focus was more on Defensive Backs who will compete today.

Out of the LB's, Dallas Turner turned in a 4.47... off the edge, he's going to be a tough one. It's easy to see that he's the #1 LB.
    DL Chop Robinson turned in a 4.49 also. He apparently measured out as an undersized, but he just shines at everything.

LB Payton Wilson surprised me a bit with a 4.43 time. My impression of his play is that he is a 3rd down LB type. He's a little thin for the rough stuff in the Middle. at 6'4" 233 though, he could hang with TE's.

I was looking for Trotter but missed any signs of him. I was also looking for the Notre Dame LB Liufau... he was a disappointment.

Junior Colsen is an interesting LB. He projects as a 3 down LB - good coverage skills and good run game instincts.

I'm glad to see Zach Fraizer made it. He's the Center from WVU. 6'3" and ~300lbs+. Great career at WVU and solid... He ranks behind the Oregon Center, Powers-Johnson who has a lot of eyes on him. Zach looks to be like a solid Center, nothing special, but just does the job well and is consistent. Even if he fell, I think he is a guy you could pick up and have solid depth while you ironed out some of his wrinkles.

I think the Steelers are going to look at QB in the later rounds. I read Omahr's comments, and they are about what I expected anyway. The stickler is Mason as he is looking to be a starter. It could be good competition, but if he doesn't win what then.

Right now, I think the first three picks are QB's. The only certainty is Williams at #1. I'm going to keep my eye on McCarthy, there has been a lot of buzz around him.

My gut is thinking they will go QB late, I wonder if Joe Milton might be a worthy target to develop. I dunno.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Dallas Turner's status was never in doubt, so his combine is just reinforcing what everyone already knew....

Chop Robinson may have made himself some extra money... someone will reach for him based on measurable and ignore his actual lack of production

At Center, I would be happy with either of the big 3 (JPJ, Frazier, Van Pran)

At ilb, I'm really warming up to TX A&M ILB Edgerrin Cooper.. I'm kind of hoping he's available in the 4th, but I think his combine numbers are gonna put him out of our reach

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He and Harrison Jr. no doubt about it.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm getting tired of these players that show up to the combine healthy, then decide they aren't going to participate in anything :rolleyes:.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Why? They’re only risking harm to their own interests.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Top guys yes nothing good can come out of it

Some lower guys move up if they have a good showing

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They do participate in several things interviews for example

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All the DBs better participate. It my favorite part.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’ll let them know

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Nate Wiggins who I have seen mocked to the Steelers at #20 ran a 4.29 today but suffered a hip flexor in the process. It seems like it is just a sprain, he said that he will be ready for Clemson's pro day next month.
    Edit: The official time for Wiggins was just announced and it was 4.28. He said he wasn't satisfied with that, he wanted closer to 4.20.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I never heard back on why Van Pran decided to miss the senior bowl the day before it started. He had accepted the invite, and then all of a sudden changed his mind the night before.

Do they drug test at the senior bowl like the combine does on day 2?

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    There should be 10 times the threads on the combine than Mason Edmunds and other backups

13. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    I can see it now.

Steel Elvis : " Come on man. You gotta do this for an STD!!!!"

14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    How about this one. Caleb Williams refuses to take medical exams or drug tests at combine.
    Caleb Williams makes rare move at NFL combine to skip medical evaluations: 'Just not here' (msn.com)

He is also not throwing, but I have never heard of a player refusing the standard medical screening. The article above makes it sound like this is the 1st time in History a combine invite has refused all medical exams.
    A league source told CBS Sports that Williams may be the first combine invitee to attend the event after declining the medical examinations.

LOL... It had to be me.... You going to draft Caleb Williams without a Physical??? :)

15. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I said this once ive said it a hundred times… if Ratter is available in 4rd grab him, not interested in Milton

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  17. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    and even the unknown guys might go from a potential UDA to getting into the later draft. At this point for 'those' guys you want every opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    So he won't be there at 20. Oh well :(

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The most freakish athletic performance came from Tyler Owens a safety from Texas Tech. Owens who had a broad jump of 12' 2", one inch shy of the world's record also had a vertical of 41 inches. He pulled up with a groin injury about halfway through his forty though. He previously ran a 4.30. His play on the field hasn't matched up with his super athletic ability but at 6'2" and 216 he would be worth a late round pick.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Cooper has been a favorite of mine at ILB. Unfortunately he's in a mix with other potentials for the Steelers in the first three rounds, some of whom could be argued to be at positions of greater need. After they released Cole, my secret hope was that they intend to sign one of the top FA centers (Williams would be ideal) which would eliminate one off of their list, allowing them to think of an ILB in the second.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm being selfish, it gives the Combine more buzz if the top players participate :thumbs_up:.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Him and his dad are trying to get him to drop. They don’t like the NFL system, they hate that the best prospects go to the worst teams and they don’t like the rookie wage scale.

Good luck Mr nobodies trying to overthrow the NFL hierarchy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He only weighs 173lbs, not interested in him.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Lots of Good looking prospects at all the DB positions today, but some people need to understand that the game tape speaks more than their 40s, and other drills. Not saying the drills don't matter, but some of these guys that have great drills aren't very good football players. Of course I'm saying what most already know.

• Agree Agree x 3