1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Science facts and fiction

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Born2Steel, Mar 13, 2024.

1. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    I like talking snakes and burning bushes

:eek::hmm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Give your best explanation of a black hole. And I mean the space anomaly.

3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Not so good of a movie.

I'm going High Gravity like my beer

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The gravity is so strong it sucks everything into it. I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I rather enjoy trying to figure out how Noah fed and stored all those species. When the hell did he travel to Australia to get the kangaroo?

I have a sister who is extremely Christian. Out of respect I took her to Ark Encounter in Kentucky. They really did a great job. It is cool. They explain Noah Ark like this: There were only a few animals around when Noah was building the Ark. And yes, the Dinosaur was playing with children in one of the exhibitions. The other millions of species on Earth today came after the Ark. They had a rapid evolution. And this knowledge cost me a mere 50 bucks to enter.

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    How did they explain the zombie?

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    How did they explain the duck billed platypus?

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Actually, to me, what is even a bigger "leap of faith" is the "educated" conventional viewpoint that everything that we know of began with a Big Bang no specific location and for unknown reasons and before that, there was nothingness. Really???? It's all just hyperbole since no one knows for sure no matter how it's portrayed or rationalized. But being a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, I do love a good mystery. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I think even the term Black Hole is a misnomer. If they are powerful enough to suck in photons/light, it should also suck in the dark component, thus producing no color at all, just clear. So are we clear? Crystal!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    The black hole is a mass so dense it’s gravity prevents light from leaving it’s grip. So you are correct that there is no color being it is a refraction of light. But it is black by the other definition of being lightless, thus absent of light. Total darkness, which is what color?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    It’s not polite to talk religion or politics at the table. And take your hats off.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    That's just what they've taught us. I say that black doesn't even stand a chance in a Black Hole. To me, the answer is clear (as a colorless bell). :lolol:

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well if THEY are correct that would mean somewhere is a white hole, and, or Grey holes.

14. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I did recently see a ‘documentary’ on black holes recently. There was a point of discussion on travel by black hole, like a worm hole fold in space. Basically a gravity well type black hole is a one way entrance. Conversely there would need to be an energy flow anomaly equal to that gravity at the opposite end of the worm hole that pushes everything away from it as the exit point. That specific anomaly has yet to be discovered.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Why? Again it’s not a refraction of light, it’s the absence of light.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The hole has to spill out somewhere.....therefore there would be a white hole, and , or Grey hole somewhere.....if the physics that they talk about are correct.

17. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Love me some Holmes!! I go back to those old British series. IMO Robert Downey Jr. did a great job in those more current films.

Loved Downey's speech when he won the Oscar: "I'd like to thank my terrible childhood and The Academy for this award, in that ordered".

18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I've often wonder if Neptune is as pretty as we portray it. I know it's a gas planet but I'd love being stoned there. Floating in that blue would be awesome. Might call for some mushrooms.

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    There are what are called White Dwarf stars - i.e. what our Sun will be when it runs out of fuel. I've had a few Greyhound drinks in my days but avoid Grey holes. :eek:

20. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    A black hole is not actually black. It is invisible to human eyes. There is no actual color associated with a black hole. ‘Black’ here represents absence of light.

All objects of great mass have gravity directly proportionate to their mass. Therefore, the amount of light these objects give off will differ according to that gravity strength. This is represented sometimes by color descriptions.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And still...if the physics are to be believed....somewhere there should be a white, and , or gray hole.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I also liked His version...., but I'm easily convinced by most that play S. Holmes.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Maybe I’m not following. Tell me the physics you’re referring to, or lead me to a website. The only physics I am aware of regarding a black hole is gravity law and/or Newton’s law of opposite and equal reaction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Agree. But with our luck they'd ship us on out to Uranus (greenish) and who knows what we'd find there! Probably populated by retired Proctologists. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1