1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Schobert, Karl Joseph, Ahkello Witherspoon

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Confluence, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    difference makers, I like these additions, this defense I think will be surprising, its already, IMO, pretty good but these guys added, looks like we have maybe a stronger foundation

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  2. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Absolutely, also bringing in Ingram was a great move. Colbert is on a roll this year. I never remember a year where the FO made this many moves.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Absolutely

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    killebrew and joseph will determine a lot about us re-signing edmunds i believe. maybe this gives him the kick in the butt for a big year. their playing time will say a lot. schobert will be huge for us, the other two will help fix the dime that is lacking. 1 year guys though is a concern for down the road. there are a lot of players that we could lose again next year. we could be back in the same boat as this year with colbert retiring. this looks like his last hurrah with ben and a run before we start over. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think we need to pump the brakes a little, especially on Witherspoon and Joseph. They have both been passed over by multiple team in the past six months. SF didn’t want to keep Witherspoon despite being in desperate need of corners, they just signed Josh Norman yesterday!!

I am hopeful that Schobert is a big upgrade over both Vince and Spillane, and that Bush finds his way as the season goes on. The front 7 looks great on paper if everyone is healthy and rolling

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think all 3 were good acquisitions, but Schobert is the one who I feel will be the most significant difference maker this season vs. what we would have had without him.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    wormley and no TJ yet?

schobert could play on one leg and be an upgrade over those two.

the cut in cap room this year has made a lot of guys get passed over that otherwise would be on teams. all these one year rentals by us though is quite worrisome. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Good point about the cap.

If they can have their full front seven down the stretch and everyone is healthy it will be a problem for opponents.

I wouldn’t worry about the one year rentals as long as they continue to draft well. 2020 & 2021 both look like good drafts after a middling 2019 and an absolute stink bomb in 2018

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    health is a biggie. the ravens are dealing with it already and we need to jump on that with some wins to get a cushion over at least one in the division. we have had more then our share of bad luck. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Like the acquisitions, just wish Tuit, Banner could be in game shape and off IR and Tj gets off his high horse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018

I agree with everything you said. But with what's going on with Watt, the most significant difference maker the Steelers signed may end up being Melvin Ingram.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    Joseph was a former first rounder, well he was drafted by the Raiders i believe, but still he just needs to be healthy and I mean 100%, as far Witherspoon, anytime a player says that when healthy he is the best corner in the league, i'd wld be interested, they say he has improved in tackling and he sounds like he is 100% ready to go, he mentioned that injuries hampered his development that probably led to bouncing around between San Fran and Seattle and now to the Steelers, we'll see, but he will support Layne

13. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Witherspoon has started games in the NFL at least, and I dont think he will kill us if he has to play. That said, SF fans were not exactly upset they moved on from him by all accounts. Maybe a new team and new scheme will be good for him

Same with Joseph, talent clearly is there, maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t. It’s impossible to say right now

Health will be a big factor with both, as it is with every player

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    joseph is left unprotected on the PS. will they be brought up to the 48? they protected, rader, white, mondaeux and samuels. :cool:

16. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    so is there some sort of issue w Joseph?

17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I know he can't cover

• Like Like x 1
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I believe Edmonds is the only one that can determine if he is going to be resigned. I don't see it.

19. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Somebody somewhere made that argument about Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns.

20. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    agree w uncertainty w first rounders, but he was picked by the Raiders in the first round and that is ... hilarious and probably revealing at the same time, I like he put work in w the Browns and respected first round pedigree but than saw it was from the Raiders and chuckled a bit , still pulling for him to be a consistent contributor when needed

• Like Like x 1
  21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Who is going to get cut when Karl Joseph gets added to the roster?

We have all these guys we will eventually need to move to the active roster. I'm worried these guys don't clear waivers.

22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

Henry Mondeaux or maybe Jamir Jones

But I really hope not with Jones I think he has some upside

23. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Shannon Sharp will never believe the Steelers will be better then the Ravens

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    But Skip!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Jones will be cut, he's their 4th OLB, they have enough DL if Mondeaux is cut.