1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Schefter ..Le'Veon Bell to miss first half of season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jul 16, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    “You know, everybody’s assuming that he’s just going to show up like last year before the regular season opener and I don’t think that’s a given at all,” Schefter said of Bell. “I think if they don’t get a deal done, the most important thing for Le’Veon Bell is to preserve his health and make sure he’s healthy heading into the 2019 free agent market. So, I think it’s possible that Le’Veon Bell skips the first half of the year. It’s possible. I’m not telling you he’ll do that, but I can tell you this, he’ll certainly think about it and make a decision about that.”

https://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/...leveon-bell-skips-the-first-half-of-the-year/

Not that Schefter's opinion matters much, but if Le'Veon chose this route, I'd just release him.

It's about principle at that point. No need to cater to primadonnas.

I'd take players that are putting the work in over an entitled running back any day of the week, even if their production is not as good.

Just me.

added later.. I realize this is Schefter's conjecture. Just saying if it happened.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    And I was ridiculed when I suggested we needed to take a RB within the first two rounds.....

And by all indications, we could have got Edmunds in the 3rd, possibly later. We could have drafted Sony Michel, Nick Chubb, Ron Jones, Kerryon Johnson, Guice or Freeman. You might not like some of those backs, but surely you must like a few of them, over a pouting a hole who stands to wreck our entire season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    If Le'veon wasn't here this year, I wouldn't be concerned about our backfield. I think we'd have enough to move the chains, and we wouldn't be as good, but I still think they did the right thing with how they drafted.

Yet to be seen with Edmunds, but they obviously saw something that many others didn't.

Remember when people complained about trading up to draft Troy Polamalu?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    1st of all Polamalu was a totally different kettle of fish; no one ever suggested he would be there in the 3-5 rounds, as Edmunds would have been. Even if he ends up being a tremendous player, you don't take anyone earlier than you need to, regardless. Noll wanted Stallworth in the 1st round but the staff convinced him he would be still there later (and he was, in the 4th). Troy was a known super special player, and would have been taken before our pick had we not moved up.

I would surely preferred they made moves to reinforce our RB unit with more than a 5th round pick and non-NFL caliber backs (Croissant).

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Just curious. Why do you feel that way? Why would anyone look at the running backs we have behind Bell and feel confident. We have a oft injured second year player coming off a knee. A career jorneyman who is known to have a case of the fumbles. A rookie that some people view as a tight end. We are not in good shape if Bell sits out.

Some of you guys put way to much stock in bottom feeder players. Im reading other posts where people feel good about our linebackers because we have Keon Adams and Matt Thomas. Cmon people. Some of these guys may not even make the roster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    How is this possible? If he doesn't sign the franchise tag doesn't it roll over? If he signs it and refuses to play couldn't the Steelers get him for breach of contract and it would roll over? This makes no sense.

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I will not be surprised at all if Leveon holds out into the season. Hes all about him. I also wouldnt be shocked if he doesnt pull a Mike Wallace and plays not to get injured the rest of the year. I wouldnt put anything past Bell at this point. The Steelers have backed themselves into a corner here. They should have eliminated this problem months ago when they still had a chance. I almost hope they sign him to a deal just so this dosent drag out all season long.

8. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He can hold off signing for a period of time. Something like 8 games.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Oh, I thought there was a deadline before the season starts. That's weird they'd let that carry on for so long.

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers should have let Bell walk into free agency and drafted a RB in round 2. Too late now. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    There is no way he's going to pass on half of that money for 8 games. No way.
    Getting paid is all about your stats.
    How you suppose to have good stats on an 8 game schedule when you were healthy and away.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He is playing hardball with the wrong franchise and will end up losing

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep I heard it this morning.Two huge things at play here.#1 He wants WR money not RB money some crazy #'s speculated like 30 Mil at signing . This is not going to happen.

#2 the Murray situation Dallas used him up then didn't pay him .Now he is calling it quits after only 7 seasons. This leads me to believe that Bell will play the minimum amount of games to get his FA status . This will derail another season .If the Team can take the tag offer back I think they should and just move on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :bscow: Not happening. Contract year and he'll want 20 million. Schefter is just trying to stir up a story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Polamalu was a first team all american and was flying around the field making all kinds of plays. They dont compare.

17. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah they can rescind the tag but I think they dont want to do it as that would cause them to be in a lose lose situation

18. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Each game he holds out would cost him about 800 thousand $. Each game he holds out lowers his stats, which in return lowers what he can get in free agency. He ain't holding out.

As for rescinding his tag, the team loses his production for the year with no compensation. He'd be an unrestricted free agent long past the deadline when he'd count in the comp pick formula. They ain't gonna recind his tag.

Bell wants that mega contract and someone is going to give him one. Immediately after signing his mega contract he's going to party it up. The following day he'll be given a drug test which he'll fail and get suspended. His first game back from suspension his new team will play Cinci and Burfect will end his 2019 season. While rehabbing from that injury he'll fail another drug test, suspending him for the 2020 season. He won't make the team in 2021 and no other team will sign him. He signs with the Steelers for one day to retire as a Steeler.
    Meanwhile the 3rd round comp pick we get for him will go on to have a hall of fame career with the Steelers.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to refill my bong.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Again I will go on record, that Lev Bell will end up signing with another team for less money
    than the Steelers have offered already.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Jervion Franklin the MAC offensive player of the year. 5.5 yards per touch. 56 TDs. Don't forget this kid.this:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Didn't Bell have concussions, suspensions, a knee injury, dropped weight and got ripped too? :cool:

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    To me Bell is already gone. Glad the Steelers didn't cave, and I did believe they wouldn't. Let some other team overpay in which they will next season. It wouldn't surprise me if he holds out.

23. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I really doubt the Edmunds would have been there as some of the proposed experts suggest in the 3-5 rounds. Obviously the Steelers felt the need to revamp our safety situation, and saw it as a critical need. They got the player they felt would fill their need being down a critical position with Shazier gone.

I also think the Steelers did good with picking Jaylen Samuels with the 5th round pick. Great value there as many had him projected higher and should be able to contribute.

The Steelers have Bell for one more year. They can target another RB with the higher picks in next year's draft.

If you check out the tape on Ridley, he played pretty good.

25. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016