1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

SBD's Way Too Early Mock 1.0 (in progress)

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Dec 20, 2013.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    My mind changes every few weeks it seems, but right now I say we roll with Beachem at LT, and grab Ben his big pass catcher in round 1. I really like Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, and Benjamin (if he declares) in that order. This could likely change if we end up 8-8, because I think Evans goes higher than mid-round... Personally I wish we'd lose the next 2, and trade down to pick up another 3rd. I think that Watkins is a better prospect, and would have no qualms taking him, but for me, Evans' size is the tie-breaker.

Evans reminds me a little bit of Plaxico, or Vincent Jackson with his ability to get deep on you. One thing that I really love about Evans is he made a ton of big plays for A&M when Manziel would buy time. When you're catching passes from Big Ben, knowing what to do once you've run you're route can be a huge asset.

2. Aaron Colvin, CB/S, Oklahoma
    I'm not sure Ike Taylor is going to be around next season, which leaves the Steelers with VERY little depth behind Cortez Allen and William Gay. Colvin is a long armed, physical CB, that won't get out-muscled by big receivers. He's seen the field since his freshman season (and is a 4 year player), so you would hope he could come in and make an impact quickly.

He has experience at safety as well. His biggest weakness is he doesn't have elite quickness or straight line speed... So there's some question as to whether he's a CB or a safety in the NFL. I think that we need both, so bring him in and leave him where you need to. He's a good run defender which is always important in our scheme, and has some pretty good ball skills.

2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Good start! It's about that time of year again to get serious about these so look fwd to seeing updates.

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I seen Mcshay and Kiper both have us taking Nix III

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There are questions about Evans speed if he runs slow at the combine or at workouts he won't get drafted that high.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That's funny SBD... in another thread I just commented on Evans' ability to make plays for his QB after the called play breaks down, and how that could fit well for us. Right now Evans is very much on my radar for our 1st round pick. I think he's really good, and I think the Vincent Jackson comparison is pretty spot on.

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Completely agree with SBD and Elvis. I am starting to drool over what Mike Evans could bring to our offense. I actually see a Brandon Marshall type of player. I would expect Evans to run around 4.55-4.6, which I have no problem with. As you guys have pointed out, Manziel plays a little like Ben. Evans knows how to work the field and get open. While I also agree that Watkins is the better overall WR, I think Evans is better for our offence and what we need.

I was originally on the OT train, but I don't have much of a problem rolling with an O-line of Beachum/Velasco/Pouncey/Decastro/Gilbert. When we were playing terrible, I thought we would have a chance at an elite OT, if we go 8-8, I don't think that happens.

While I currently have Evans as my #1 target, I'm still not against going ILB (Mosley) or S (Clinton-Dix or Shazier).

7. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I like Nix, but I'm not sure how much better he makes this time right now. He definitely reminds me a lot of Vince Wilfork. I just don't know if he supplants Steve McLendon anytime soon. If we didn't have other more significant holes, I would probably have Nix on my list.

8. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

I love nix...thats what this team needs....think casey hampton, joel steed...constantly putting a team in 2nd and 3rd and long ...we need a run stopping NT

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I would be very, very surprised if they took Nix. Shocked even.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Me too, especially in a passing league.

11. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    we have to get a stud to play in the secondary. one of the first two picks I think. we need a cover corner and a safety since clark will be gone

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I disagree with these two statements. I would love it if we got Nix. I think he would make us a way better team, and would start as a rookie. I would be a little surprised if we went offense first round tho.

13. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I think your on to something, so what happens
    if the Steelers decide to cut Ike and his 11
    million dollars? Do you think Curtis Brown
    is ready for prime time? LOL CB or safety
    has to be TARGETED and the person
    they select cannot be redshirted.

14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm going to have to disagree with you :thumbs_up:. So few DTs, and for that matter, NTs come into the league and do anything right away. Look at Mt Cody. Most people figured he was can't miss but he's merely a reserve lineman with the Ravens. Nix is good, but he is by no means special. I personally think it would be a bad pick.

15. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I can't see a NT being taken in the first round. A run stuffing NT is a 1-2 play per series position, kinda difficult to justify a 1st rounder.

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if we dump the 11 million we could find a free agent like gay at a couple of million

17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they learned something this year when it comes to rookies. jones, Williams and Thomas all played well. especially Williams. he impressed me this year and was a lot better late in the year. Curtis brown is not ready for anything and if ike takes a big cut bring him back

18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'd be really surprised if they took a CB round one.

19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Ike being Dan Rooney's boy you maybe right,
    he will probably play for peanuts. But as
    knowlegble as you are TTF you know we
    have to address the back end somehow.