1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

SBD's Steelers-only Mock Contest

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 13, 2012.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    No one in particular. I think he'll likely go in the early teens, but in my "dream" he slides into the mid-late teens.

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Here is mine: Not to say I might not change it between now and then, but this is my start.

1. Donta Hightower ILB
    2. Kelechi Osemele OG
    3. Bobbie Massie OT
    4. Nick Jean-Baptiste, NT
    5. Trenton Robinson, FS
    6. Greg Childs, WR
    7. Joe Looney, G

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Not bad...though I'd switch the WR to a TE. And hope to get a true FB and a K with a UDFA though I'd use a 7th on either...

4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I thought about TE myself, but decided that WR may be a bigger need, especially if Cotchery signs elsewhere. Of course if Wallace leaves, everything is out the window that you see above. Obviously Heath is fine. Johnson, I don't have a problem with him being here, but I prefer him to be the #3. Saunders I like, but unless his suspension is reduced, he is in danger. We have signed 1 TE, and have looked at another. I think it is possible that they bring in a couple more to compete.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they may have signed a TE/FB the other day at the wvu pro day. i read MT was so impressed, with johnsons workout they signed him right away. :cool:

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

a guy could dream though with:

1. martin OT stan.
    2. martin FS okla.st.
    3. martin DT mich.
    4. wolfe DT cin.
    5. streeter WR mia.
    6. tandy CB wvu
    7. blackwell OG lsu
    7. brown LB hou.
    7. burriss LB s.d.st.
    7. martin WR mich.st.
    :cool:

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Your last name wouldn't be "Martin" by chance, would it? :)

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no but maybe we can get a deal from nike, since they could use the same pattern for 4 name plates? :-D trying to save the team money. :cool:

9. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    We;re getting closer guys. Be sure to edit your mocks. I know it's been a while since people posted theirs!

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Okay, after years of being a self-proclaimed draftnik, this is my first ever attempt at a mock draft. This is hard. Props to Kevin Colbert and Coach T for the success they seem to have year after year. Away we go!:

1. Donta Hightower, ILB, Alabama
    The Steelers don't allow Hightower to fall to the Ravens to be tormented by him for the next 10-12 years.

2. Kileche Osemele, OT, Iowa St
    Strong and intelligent player, a great combination for a lineman. 2011 All Big 12 first team and Academic All American 3 times.

3. Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan St.
    Make no mistake about it, Tomlin loves this guy. Ben will not have a long career like Manning or Brady and with his physical style he could go down at any time. Cousins is not ready to start year one and if he's groomed for 3-4 years, he'll be a great successor to Ben.

4. Trenton Robinson, FS, Michigan St.
    Just as Cousins will be brought in to be Ben's successor, so too will Robinson be brought in to be the successor to one of the Steeler greats, Troy P. Robinson has CB speed but the physicality of a Safety.

5. Keith Tandy, CB, WVU
    The Steelers like to go to their backyard to find solid performers and Tandy fits the mold. He's a ball hawk and can have a good career as an opportunistic nickel back at the next level.

6. Davin Meggett, RB, Maryland
    Meggett has the pedigree being the son of former NFL RB Dave Meggett. Meggett is thick and powerful with a low center of gravity. He'll be added depth in the event Mendenhall doesn't bounce back from the devastating ACL injury.

7. Danny Coale, WR, Va. Tech
    Coale is a smart receiver who came up big in the Sugar Bowl with 8 catches for 117 yards. Could be an effective slot receiver in the NFL. Smart guy who knows how to find the soft spot in the zone. It doesn't hurt that he's a pretty good punter averaging 43.5 yard per punt last year.

7. Akiem Hicks, DT, Regina
    JUCO transfer but his upside is tremendous IF he is willing to put in the work at the next level. His work ethic has been questioned but he is certainly worth a shot in the later rounds. Could be a homerun if the switch comes on.

7. Blair Walsh, K, UGA
    Very reliable Kicker who made the first 119 PATs of his career. Mediocre FG% but should improve. Suisham needs the competition.

7. Emil Igwenagu, FB, Mass.
    Okay, it wouldn't be a Steelers mock draft unless there is FB in there somewhere, right? Igwenagu has good hands and can block, that's all we need from our FB.

NOTE: I started to go Cordy Glenn, OT, GA with our first pick and Brandon Thompson, the big DT out of Clemson at number two. But after much deliberation I decided on the above draft. We'll see how we're doing in a week or so. I LOVE THE DRAFT!

11. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    My Final mock draft for the Steelers

1. LB Dont'a Hightower, ALabama
    2. NT Alameda Ta'Amu, Washington
    3. OG Brandon Brooks, Miami (OH)
    4. S Aaron Henry, Wisconsin
    5. OT Andrew Datko, Florida St
    6. OG Joe Looney, Wake Forest
    7. CB Coty Sensabaugh, Clemson
    7. WR Chris Owusu, Stanford
    7. K Carson Wiggs, Purdue

My Top 4 picks have been the same for months now. I think they fill our 4 biggest needs. People will lament about the fact I am not addressing the OL until Round 3, however, I am grabbing 3 prospects from this draft to add to our depth, with the possibility Brooks could start at some point in 2012. I have always had OT Levy Adcock in my mocks to date, but if we could land Datko, and he checks out medically, hopefully he could help us out in a season or two. I think Datko grades out higher than Adcock. Looney could fall on draft day due to an ankle injury which has prevented him from working out. He is a violent LG who was very impressive at East-West Shrine practices. I am really starting to like Sensabaugh. He put great athletic numbers at the Combine. Not much production in college, but we could use some more help on ST. I am not sure where Owusu will go in this draft. He has blazing speed but his history of concussions will scare most teams off. I want a strong-legged kicker and Wiggs seems to fit that profile.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ok, this is mine.

1. amini silatolu OG midwestern st.......able to pull and make multiple blocks similar to pouncey. nasty. small school, but shouldn't change his game. don't care if they reach a few slots to get him.
    2. ronnell lewis OLB oklahoma...... it was said the steelers have more then just a passing fancy with this kid. not to sure he couldn't be groomed inside too. dead stop hitter.
    3. lamichael james RB oregon...... lots of offense here. could take some of the burden off the WR's in the passing game if wallace doesn't. you can't cover him with a LB. homerun threat. KR
    4. andrew datko OT fla.st. ....... he's got LT talent but injuries have plagued him. worth the pick as he's dropped. full recovery and we have a gem.
    5. james hanna TE oklahoma..........big but fast. runs patterns like a big WR could be a new toy for haley. could allow for an extra spot on gameday as a WR/TE.
    6. donnie fletcher CB boston college..... fletcher has been a good corner for them. faster then first thought by many. makes picks and can play some man as well as zone. underated guy.
    7. john hughes NT cincinnati..... they like hughes game. he's solid. may not be the next casey but more the next hoke. productive. does the dirty work plus.
    7. jerry franklin LB arkansas........ a true steal at this point in the draft. good all-around LB. i liked him since early in this process.
    7. toney clemons WR colorado........ bigger faster guy. not a giant but has speed and is a little bigger redzone receiver. he's made a visit.
    7. josh bush FS wake forest....... really underated safety. so heck we'll take him. productive player, the kind we like and find at this point.
    :facepalm: :cool:

13. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My mock is going to involve a trade back picking up an additional 2nd rounder. Although I'd love to have Hightower I just don't think the FO will invest 1st round picks on two ILB's. With that being said here's my mock.

2nd rd- Amini Silatolu G Midwestern St
    2nd rd- Markelle Martin FS Oklahoma St
    3rd rd- Kirk Cousins QB Michigan St
    4th rd- Ladarius Green TE Lafayette
    4th rd- James Michael Johnson ILB Nevada
    5th rd- Keshawn Martin WR Michigan St
    6th rd- Kheeston Randall DE Texas
    7th rd- Nick Jean Baptiste NT Baylor
    7th rd- Davin Meggett RB Maryland
    7th rd- Carson Wiggs K Purdue

14. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Numbah I'm assuming you mean we trade back into the 2nd and pick up an additional 4th (although in my opinion unless it's a high 2nd and 4th we might be able to get more).

Glad to see so many of you guys are getting involved!

I will updated my final mock today.

15. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That's exactly what I meant SBD. Thanks for correcting that. :thumbs_up:

16. centralpa007

centralpa007 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I want Hightower but I think he will be gone for some reason. I also see a trade down to end of 1st for a 3rd - then:

1 - Kevin Zeitler - OG Wisconsin
    2 - Markelle Martin - S Okla St
    3 - Mike Martin - NT Michigan
    3 - Lemichael James - RB Oregon
    4 - James Michael Johnson - LB Nevada
    5 - Marvin Jones - WR Cal
    6 - Russell Wilson - QB Wisconsin
    7 - Levy Adcock - OT
    7 - Josh Kaddu - LB
    7 - Coty Sensabaugh - CB

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think you have one more 7th round spot to fill. :) :cool:

18. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Okay, I'm so mixed up between what I wish, what I want realistically, and what I think might happen, that I don't even know which end is up anymore. So I'm just going to make more than one mock, for different scenarios. For example, if Hightower is there we might take him, but if he's gone then our draft is very different. I understand it's a contest, so I guess the first one will be my "official" entry, and the rest will just be bonus entries.

Scenario #1: Dont'a Hightower is gone by our pick, and so we trade back into the early 2nd (I don't know who with. Maybe the Rams? They got an assload of picks now). Our #1 and #5 for their #2 and #3. We also traded our 7th round pick in order to move up a dozen spots or so in round 6. Why? Because that's one less guy I have to mock, and who needs four 7th rounders? They sure as hell won't make the team. Hmm, I think I'll do that with all my mocks.

1. Traded

2a. Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State -- Tough to go with a guy from a school this small for your first pick, but Colbert himself said there are so few sure things in this draft that they likely won't get one. They'll be rolling the dice on whoever they get. I'm also betting that for once, Colbert & Co. are as tired as the OL as we are, and aim to fix it.

2b. Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama -- This is my guy, and I think he'll also be the Steelers' guy. He seems like he's cut from the same cloth as Hampton, who people like to make fun of but should be treated like a freakin' God for what he did around here. Before, I was aiming to get him in the 3rd, but I think that's too risky now. In our first two picks, two problems are solved, in both the long term and short.

3a. Markelle Martin, FS, Oklahoma State -- I read 2 years ago that the team really wanted that one safety who wound up in Chicago (Wright?), and drafted Emmanuel Sanders when the safety wasn't available. I think they want to groom someone for the future if they don't think Mundy is it, rather than put off the problem for later like they did with NT. I really don't know much about Martin, but he has great size and speed, good character, and will have time to learn everything he needs to, and excellent people to learn from. And if we cut Allen, who we don't need, we'll have the roster space.

3b. Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma -- I stumbled upon this guy during our mock draft, and I must say I would be happy to get him. He's pretty much a consensus 2nd round pick that is looking at the 4th because of a knee injury. He's fast, quick, smart, tough, and has great hands. And without Battle and Ward we'll have the roster space. This is the perfect kind of guy to get as insurance in case we can't keep Wallace. No need to spend big. Stephen Hill my ass.

4. Chris Rainey, RB, Florida -- I don't really want to get a RB in this draft, especially early, because I think Batch will have something to offer, I think Dwyer will too, I think Redman can handle being #1, and I think if Mendenhall recovers fully (which he very well may given his age) he will be better than ever with an improved OC and OL. But if we must get a RB, this is the kind I want. We already have everything else. The only thing we are missing is the lightning bolt. To me, this is where newbie Haley gets a toy thrown his way. Rainey can zip around the field between Redman's battering ram runs between the tackles.

5. Traded

6. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State -- Why not? Smart kid, good value. You never know. With Dixon leaving, we'll have room in the young-guy-to-groom-slash-hope-someone-trades-us-a-mugh-higher-pick-later-after-seeing-him-in-a-few-preseason-games slot.

7. Traded

7a. Chad Diehl, FB, Clemson-- Alright, so this won't really happen since they like their fullbacks to not be good at blocking. But all these 7th rounders, they can afford to placate the fan base just once, can't they? I don't see any harm in bringing the guy to camp and seeing what happens.

7b. Joe Long, OT, Wayne State -- When it rains small school standout offensive linemen, it pours. He's got the size, got the bloodlines, and what we need is a tackle, not a guard. I don't see how this is any worse of a pick than Tony Hills, who we took in the 4th. Worth a shot.

7c. Randy Bullock, K, Texas A&M -- This is me not doing new research.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scenario #2:

1. Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama -- And we all say a silent prayer that he beats out Larry Foote for week 1.
    2. Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami (OH) -- Zeitler, Silatolu, Osemele all gone. But I bet they love Brooks anyway.
    3. Derek Wolfe, DE, Cincinnati -- All usable NTs are off the board. DE is not a need and Wolfe will have to wait forever, but our FO can't resist what they think will be a special player.
    4. Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma -- Still a great player and insurance policy.
    5. Donald Stephenson, OL, Oklahoma -- They do love their versitility in linemen, and Stephenson is good value if he's still around. We definitely have room for two new guys so there's a good chance he makes the roster.
    6. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State -- Eh, I can't find anyone else I like for this spot. But who am I kidding? He's a QB, he'll probably go in the 3rd.
    7. Traded
    7a. Chad Diehl, FB, Clemson -- Pattern? What pattern? I'm not lazy!
    7b. Michael Smith, RB, Utah State -- Robert Turbin's backup. Tough guy, but says here he ran a 4.32.
    7c. Randy Bullock, K, Texas A&M -- .....

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    some nice looking drafts showing up. :good: :cool:

20. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    For what it's worth a lot my draft research comes from reading insights from all of you regular posters as well as reviewing other mocks online and checking out WalterFootball pretty frequently for updates over the past month or so. But I figure I'll throw my entry in for the mock contest!

For my mock I'm going to assume we don't get Hightower although that is the guy that I really want as I think he fits our defense perfectly. My scenario is similar to Huge Snack's, involving us trading back to early round 2 and picking up an extra in early round 3 while giving up our 5th.

Round 2a - Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wiscy - guy is a mauler and from what I've read the Steelers love him. If Silatolu is still available that would be interesting but I think Zeitler is the pick if both are there.
    Round 2b - Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington - fills a need and can get on the field some this year maybe to spell Big Snack
    Round 3a - Markelle Martin, FS, Oklahoma St - not sure if he'll fall to here, but seems like he fits "the Steeler mold" and we need some help in the near future at safety
    Round 3b - Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami (OH) - seems like he is also moving up charts but another OG will help add depth and this is another guy Steelers seem high on
    Round 4 - Audie Cole, ILB, NC State - seems like a very smart player who could end up being a player for us if Sylvester doesn't pan out in the middle. As I mentioned above, I hope we get Hightower, but if not I feel like we need to address ILB somewhere in this draft
    Round 5 - Traded
    Round 6 - Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas - Steelers love finding WRs later in the draft and this guy seems like he is fully healed and with his size he could be a steal
    Round 7a - David Paulsen, TE, Oregon - worth a shot if he's still around. Could be a practice squad guy for a year while we see how Saunders pans out and how the Pope expiriment goes
    Round 7b - Don Barclay, OT, WVU - we have to draft an OT at some point i think, but seems as though we are comfortable with Gilbert and Colon right now so don't think we'll take one too early
    Round 7c - Dan (Boom) Herron, RB, Ohio State - Character issues here but worth a 7th round shot
    Round 7d - Carson Wiggs, K, Purdue - huge leg

21. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Here’swho I want to get

1. Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College
    2. Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis
    3. Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn
    4. Omar Bolden, CB, Arizona State
    5. Chris Gallipo, OLB, USC
    6. Darius Fleming Outside Linebacker Notre Dame
    7. Jonas Gray Running Back Notre Dame

22. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Well after 1 round we're all even at 0 :)

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ah, i believe we have several with 2 points sir. right position =2 points. :popcorn: :-D :cool:

24. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm toast; will probably finish with a big goose egg!

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

a guy could dream though with:

1. martin OT stan.
    2. martin FS okla.st.
    3. martin DT mich.
    4. wolfe DT cin.
    5. streeter WR mia.
    6. tandy CB wvu
    7. blackwell OG lsu
    7. brown LB hou.