1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

SBD's Steelers-only Mock Contest

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 13, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm seeing some guys here are starting to post their Steelers 7-round mock drafts, so I thought I'd go ahead and get this up. A Mock draft contest, to see who can guess the most Steelers picks. As a prize I was thinking I will make you a custom-made badge telling everyone you won, and how awesome you are... Or a custom sig with your user-name like mine (with your input). Hey... it's something right? Or prize B is a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

So post your 7 round mock... Predicting trades is cool with me, but put exactly what pick the team is trading to. Since it usually takes a while to find out who signed let's not worry about UDFA's.

SCORING
    10 points for correct player, at correct pick
    6 points for correct player, at the wrong pick (ie they trade up for a player you had them picking at 24, or you pick a different round).
    2 points for correct position in correct round (ie if you predict Dont'a Hightower in round 1 but they take Luke Kuechley... both ILB's)

Post now, edit as much as you want. Picks will be locked in when Indy is on the clock in April.

Good luck, Have Fun!

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sounds like fun, SBD. would love my own sigline. See you in April for this.

3. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    MY FINAL MOCK OF 2012!

(2) Amini Silatolu - OG - Midwestern St *TRADE DOWN*
    I think Hightower and Poe will be gone at 24 so we move down with Tampa who's moving up for Doug Martin. We get Tampa's 2nd and 3rd, they get our 1st and 4th. This is a guy I love and I think our front office will too. He reminds me a little bit of two guards we've taken recently which are Keith Williams and Chris Kemo... Now obviously I think Silatolu will be better than those two, but he has a mean streak like those guys. He buries dudes in the run game, but what the Steelers will really like is he has ridiculously quick feet. We've lacked someone that can pull like Faneca since he left (from the guard spot, Pouncey can pull very well), but this guy can come close. I think he wouldn't be as dominant in the run game against better competition but he has quickness you can't teach.

(2) Derrick Wolfe - DE - Cincinnati
    I thought hard about Mychel Kendricks at this pick, but in my opinion he's a poor man's Timmons and I don't think they're a good fit next to each other. I graduated from Cincinnati last June so I've seen a lot of Wolfe, and love that he's getting so much attention as of late. He reminds me so much of Aaron Smith... but I have no idea where to mock him. I've seen him as low as the 4th round, but I honestly think he might be gone by our 2nd round pick. He's like the prototype size for a 3-4 end, and has a great rip move. He was a very good interior rusher at UC, and he has a great motor. Hard worker, tough, all the things you want in a DE in our system. I know we've gone DE a lot lately, but I'm starting to wonder if Ziggy is going to stick and I think Wolfe is a guy that if we trade down to accumulate picks could be a great luxury pick.

(3) Lamichael James - RB - Oregon
    I'm torn between James and Isiah Pead, but I think James could drop due to his size. We don't need him as an every down back though. Haley gets his Jamall Charles since he has his Thomas Jones in Redman. It seems like when a new coach comes in they get a pick somewhere to work with (see Lake last year with 2 CB's). Whether people like it or not we're going to take a RB in this draft and I think anything after the first round is open for it. I love Redman as part of a 1-2 punch but he just isn't athletic enough to be a workhorse. We could use a home run hitter to pair with him. People are all over James' lack of size but he was a baller at Oregon. Don't over-think it, just take a guy that makes winning plays.

(3) Josh Chapman - NT - Alabama
    Chapman may go earlier than this but there's talk that the NT position could be getting pushed down the board because they're "2 down players," which I don't really agree with. I think the NT is the key to the 3-4 defense. We need to stuff the run to get into 3rd and long situations. We're a scary D to face on 3rd and long, so the first 2 downs are important while that NT is out there. There's a lot of NT's I like later in this draft so this is a pick I don't feel great about, but he fits the range.

(5) Greg Childs - WR - Arkansas
    We love drafting position players. Childs has slowed down recently because of injury but performed well at his pro day with a solid 40 time. I think we possibly look for some size at the WR position in the draft and Childs has it at 6'3.

(6) Vontaze Burfict - ILB - Arizona St
    I know a lot of people are going to hate this pick... But I read an article recently that said something like less than 20 percent of 6th round picks pan out in the NFL. So about 6 of the 32 picks actually stick... So teams should take gambles on "boom or bust" players in these late rounds. You're probably not going to get much out of the guy anyway so you might as well draft whoever has the highest ceiling. Burfict HAS potential, he looked like a top 10 pick early in his career, and still a 1st rounder late in his career. I read an article about him in ESPN magazine this week that was pretty good. They talked about how he is immensely shy and uncomfortable in front of cameras, so the ASU coaching staff kept him out of the media for his whole college career, which could be part of why he bombed the combine interviews so bad. They also told the story of when ASU upset USC in his career, and he and Matt Barkley had been jawing before and during the game. Burfict picked off a Barkley pass in that game and Barkley tackled him... Burfict got up and helped Barkley off the ground and slapped him on the helmet before running back to the sideline... He's not a terrible kid, so I think he's worth taking a shot on this late.

(7) Blair Walsh - K - Georgia
    Was hoping we'd go after Alex Henery last season, but he went too early. That may happen again, but I don't trust Suisham. He's been an NFL journeyman for a reason, it's time to get rid of the band aid and get a real, longterm solution. Walsh slumped a bit as a senior, but he has range up to 55+ yards.

(7) Landon Walker - OT - Clemson
    A very smart and hard working guy that has been said should impress in the interviews. Had an up and down college career.

(7) Chad Diehl - FB - Clemson
    Steelers gets their road grader to put in front of Redman finally. Tomlin said they're open to bringing in a fullback and they get probably the best blocking one in the draft. He's not very versatile but I don't think a FB needs to be.

(7) Darius Fleming - OLB - Notre Dame
    We take one every year, so gotta get one in here. Fleming has impressive tools but under achieved in college. Maybe our coaching staff can build him up.

4. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Here is my choices....

1. Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
    Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis
    2. James Michael-Johnson, ILB, Nevada
    3. Brannon Brooks, OG Miami, Oh
    4. Casey Howard, CB, Vanderbilt
    5. Brodie Ewing, FB, Wisconsin
    6. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State
    7. Randy Bullock, K. Texas A&M

Adams is my first choice if he's there at 24. If not, then it's Poe.

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I dont think you get 2 choices...its one or the other, haha. Obviously theres still about 2 months until the draft and you have time to make up your mind, but just saying :thumbsup:

6. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Well, this should be it unless I make some final adjustments in the next few days. Those 7th round picks were like throwing darts at a board full of names.

1 - Mark Barron, S, Alabama. As much as I want to see Peter Konz in the Black and Gold, I just don't see it happening because I really don't think Colbert sees OL value in the 1st, as it's a deep field. Hightower is a popular pick and I would be fine selecting him here, but I think the FO is comfortable with Foote and Sylvester for now, and see value elsewhere in this draft for ILB. Mark Barron gives the team a viable option for Polamalu's replacement and another smart, consistent player for LeBeau's defense. Will see the field right away in sub-packages and special teams. (previous pick, Donta Hightower, LB, Alabama)

2 - Mychal Kendricks, LB, Cal. I think all the good OL will be gone by this point, leaving the 3rd round tier guys left for later, which is probably fine with Colbert. Kendricks provides the team with an athletic demon an the ILB spot, and other than 20 pounds and 4", doesn't give much up to Hightower. Versatile athlete who played OLB and ILB in Cal's 3-4 system. Would be the 4th ILB and would be groomed to take over for Foote, meanwhile seeing PT on special teams. (Previous pick, Amini Silatolu, OL, Midwestern State)

3 - Josh Chapman, DT, Alabama While not flashy and lacking the stats that many top-tier DT's have, Chapman does best what we desperately need in our 3-4 - clogging the middle. Short, stout plugger in the middle possessing a Steed/Hampton build, he was won the praise of the LB's behind him on that defense: Courtney Upshaw and Dont'a Hightower. Going against tough SEC competition, he consistently held the point of attack, allowing his playmakers to enjoy the spotlight while he just went about his business. Would be a likley replacement for Hampton with minimal investment. (Previous pick, Brandon Brooks, OL, Miami (OH))

4 - Ben Jones, OL, Georgia Like the previous pick, this one isn't flashy, either. Jones is a guy who goes about his business without possessing great measurables, but held up nicely against very tough SEC DL. Another smart guy with character and leadership traits, embodies what the Rooney's are after for their football team. Would be the swing guy backing up all three interior OL spots, with an eye for one of the starting guard spots in 2013. (Previous pick, Josh Chapman, DT, Alabama)

5 - Tony Bergstrom, OL, Utah The Colbert Special - mid-draft OL prospects. Not much about this guy, just a solid RT from a school that the Steelers typically tap for talent. Older than the typical rookie, but comes with maturity and character. Possible guard also increases the Steelers interest because of position flexibility.

6 - Brad Smelley, HB, Alabama I don't know whose fault is was that we ditched the traditional fullback in favor of guys that can't do anything well, but I have a feeling that the trend will continue and we'll pick up another one in this draft. Smelley is a jack of all trades who plays hard to the whistle on every snap, and would be a likely speacial teams ace at best due to his non-stop motor. Probably wouldn't sniff the field on offense, but may stick around due to determination, smarts and special teams contributions. Most likely scenario would be camp casualty.

7 - Philip Welch, K, Wisconsin We need a kicker, and this guy is a kicker. Has a pretty strong leg couled with acceptable accuracy. 57-yarder is career long and owns a .771 accuracy percentage. We'd probably keep Suisham, but at least he'd provide viable competition.

7 - Darron Thomas, QB, Oregon We could grab a guy with upside, but the trend continues of taking large-school QB prospects who won't transition to the NFL. Coupled with the fact that he went to Oregon, he's also a Junior, which the Steelers seem to prefer. Camp fodder who will be cut in favor of the UDFA we bring in.

7 - Josh Oglesby, OL, Wisconsin Size fits what the Steelers like (6' 7", 330+) but probably doesn't have what it takes to beat out anyone for a roster spot.

7 - Robert Blanton, CB, Notre Dame Not shy supporting the run will endear him to our scouts and defensive staff. Training camp fodder who will be cut.

*updated 4-21-2012

7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    rd 1 Dont'a Hightower lb bama
    rd 2 Jerel worthy dt mich st
    rd 3 Brandon Washington og Miami
    rd 4 Lucas Nix og Pitt
    rd 5 Tony Jerod-Eddie dt Texas A&M
    rd 6 Brandon Taylor s LSU
    rd 7 Philip Welch K Wisc

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    OK i think i'm gonna try one.

1. silatolu OG/OT midwstrn st.
    2. lewis OLB okla.
    3. schwartz OT cal.
    4. wolfe DT cin.
    5. tandy CB wvu.
    6. hanna TE okla.
    7. kitchen NT ksu.
    7. richardson FS wash.
    7. brown LB hou.
    7. martin WR mich.st.
    :cool:

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    my dream mock
    1 poe dt
    2 zietler og
    3 michael kendricks ilb
    4 matt mccannts ot
    5 omar bolden
    6 b rainey rb
    7 rhett allison te

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Here's my current mock. Most of the information is in, with only pro days to go, so I don't expect alot of major changes. I would have loved to have taken a TE like Ladarius Green, but I don't think he will be available in the 4th round, and I cannot ignore our 3 biggest needs, ILB, NT & OG. I would also like to point out that should we lose Mike Wallace as a RFA and we gain an additional 1 st round pick, it could change certain elemnts of this draft. We will have to see how that plays out, but I will have a final mock draft as the draft approaches.

1. ILB Dont'a Hightower (Alabama): 6'2 265

Throughout the process I have had Cordy Glenn #1 and Dontari Poe #2, however, I think both did enough at the Combine, that neither will be available at #24. With the recent release of James Farrior, I think Hightower is DEFINITELY #1 on the Steelers radar heading into the draft. I am sure they have no plans of entering the season with Larry Foote as a starting ILB, and I don't think Sylvester is yet at that point. Hightower was a premiere LB on perhaps the greatest college Defense ever. He has been coached by Nick Saban, who may become one of the best college coaches of all time, and he certainly knows his defense. Hightower has already played in a 3-4 in college and is a plug and play player. There is no reason he cannot start from Day 1. At 6'2 265 he has the size, and at the combine, he showed off the necessary athleticism for a man of his size. I think Hightower in a Steelers uniform will be a legitimate Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate.

2. NT Alameda Ta'amu (Washington) 6'3 350

While I definitely have Poe higher on my NT list, he may actually be more of a Haloti Ngata who moves around. Ta'amu is what he is, a run stuffing NT. With the status of Casey Hampton up in the air, and with Chris Hoke retiring, NT is a legitimate need. Ta'amu is a pretty good athlete for a man of his size. While he won't offer much of a push i n the pass rush game, his ability to anchor is what the Steelers will be looking for. If Big Snack is not ready to go at the start of the season, I would not be surprised if Ta'amu gets some reps early.

3. OG Brandon Brooks (Miami (OH)) 6'5 345

Snubbed by the Combine, Brooks put up a very intriguing pro day, in which the Steelers were in attendance. Brooks ran a sub 5.0 forty, with 36 reps on the bench, which are very similar numbers put up by Cordy Glenn. He is an absolute mauler in the run game. He just needs to maintain his weight and decrease penalties. Given his alama mater, I am sure Ben has heard plenty of this Guard and I believe the Steelers have genuine interest.

4. S Aaron Henry (Wisconsin) 6'0 210

Another combine snub, Henry has improved each year at Wisconsin. He has great size and good athleticism. The steelers need depth in the defensive backfield, specifically at Safety.

5. WR Chris Owusu (Stanford) 6'0 195

Should we lose Mike Wallace to Free Agency, which unfortunately appears likely, I think we should take a chance on another young unheralded WR with speed. Owusu turned heads at the Combine with his 4.36 forty yard dash. Owusu has the ability to be a good WR, however, concussions derailed his college career. If he checks out medically, I think he would worth a mid round pick.

6. OT Levy Adcock (Oklahoma St) 6'5 320

Another combine snub, I have had Adcock on my list of late round picks for a while now. I don't know whether we will try to bring back Max Starks or not, but I would still like to bring in another OT for depth, as Willie Colon has proved he cannot stay healthy.

7. K Carson Wiggs (Purdue) 6'0 220

Wiggs has a reputation as having one of the biggest legs in college football. His accuracy was ok, going 75% in his college career, but it does need to improve in the pros.

11. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Not bad NB...not bad.

I dont know much about Brooks...but can he step in from day 1 and be a starting LG?

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he put up better numbers then decastro and is 346lbs. that's very impressive. :cool:

13. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Cool...but what about his playing ability on the field...thats what counts.

14. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Impressive, yes, but we both know that's less than half the battle. Bruce Campbell was very impressive also. I would take a good hard look at Brooks. But if we come out of this draft without someone who can start at either LT or OG right away, then we have not done our job. If he's a 3 year project, I'll take him, but I want someone else too that can start day 1.

15. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

This! And sorry for kinda hi-jacking you're thread SBD.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't know, i wasen't there. our coaches put him through his workout. he's been ranked at and around the 3rd-4th round and from what i read about him , he's always been ranked as a top 10 guard this year. some have had him as a top 5 guard. he knocked our new coach to the ground with one swat at the blocking bag and it was supposed to be on youtube but was since taken down. they had a writeup on steelers depot. i've seen him listed as a sleeper pick on several sites too. :cool:

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Day 1? I don't think so. Its possible his size and athleticism will allow him to do it, but he does have alot to learn going to the pros. He's nowhere near as polished or experienced as Decastro or Glenn. I do think if he reaches his potential though, that he can be a very athletic road grading Guard for years to come in the league.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    compared to what we have here? wes bunting at the national football post has him as the 4th rated guard and an nfl starter. needing a little technique work but most do. physically he can hold his own. the rest is up to the coaches. :cool:

19. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    No worries, love good draft discussion. I'll probably edit the first thread like the night before the draft with everyone's mocks in it so you can look at all of them at once.

20. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Dream:

1. Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College
    2. Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconson
    3. Traded
    4. Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama
    5. Nate Potter, OT, Boise State
    6. Chad Diehl, FB, Clemson
    7. Randy Bullock, K, Texas A&M

ILB -- Solved, with someone who could be the next big thing in the league. OL -- Solved, with Zeitler starting day 1 and Potter taking on the role of swing backup. If Potter develops into starting material, we will have a "good problem" for the first time in a long time on the offensive line. Maybe the first time ever. NT -- Solved, with an absolute steal in Chapman. FB -- Solved, with a thumper that knows what he's doing in Diehl. K -- Top rated guy on the website I had up. What am I, gonna do independent research on a kicker? He has impressive stats. As the AP's #1 kicker, I'm assuming he has the leg to get us touchbacks.

Some people won't like me "wasting" two picks on a FB and K. After all, I am throwing away two rolls of the dice, two stabs in the dark, two chances at a diamond in the rough. I look at it this way: I am locking down positions that need help and drafting people that will make and help the team. That ain't bad for the 6th and 7th round, where the chances of a safety becoming a starter are slim to none.

This is called my "dream" draft for a reason. It's not just what I want, it's what we'd have to be lucky to get a few times over. At least three of these guys will probably go before I have us taking them, and two more are on the bubble. There'd have to be quite a bit of "falling" happening. However, I will say that every guy here has been labeled the round I put them in somewhere, on some website. So for example, even though WalterFootball has Robinson as a 4th rounder, one that I found had him in the 6th/7th.

More to come. I will eventually do my "Realistic Hope" mock and my actual prediction mock.

Realistic Hope:

1. Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

Linebacker situation -- taken care of. Hightower has every tangible and intangible you could want with the exception of pass coverage, where he is questionable but not terrible. I'm actually not that worried about it. I don't think we need another althletic Timmons type to run around with Antonio Gates. If he can do a passable job in coverage and be awesome everywhere else, I'm happy.

2. Kelechi Osemele, OG, Iowa State

It was a tough call to go with Osemele over Amini Silatolu, but I felt like he was more polished and ready and still had a high ceiling, even if it wasn't quite as high as Silatolu's. I think of this guy as what Kemo was supposed to be, and with quicker feet to boot.

3. Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama

I think we'll be lucky to get Chapman even in the 3rd. I think he's the next generation for us if we get him.

4. Nate Potter, OT, Boise State

The comparison to Nate Solder is so obvious that even I figured it out right quick. Lots of upside, won't be ready right away, but we won't need that. He can settle in as the long-term swing OT, and can step in if either of those guys goes out, and if he's better than Legursky and either guard goes out, he can step in at LT and Gilbert can hop in to OG. OL -- taken care of.

5. Trenton Robinson, FS, Michigan State

Like what I've read about this guy. He's one of the best athletes at the position, and has the intangibles you want in a FS. Not a big guy, but all I want from my safeties is toughness, not size.

6. Chad Diehl, FB, Clemson

See entire thread I started.

7. Randy Bullock, K, Texas A&M

I'd like to replace Suisham. It doesn't have to be through the draft. I didn't see any other 7th round types that I had to have. Most of the guys I'd want to take a flyer on are scheduled to go earlier. I really don't know a damn thing about Bullock other than his stats, which are good. This is a throw-away mock pick.

21. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    HugeSnack, if you win with that draft... I will drive to where ever you are and kiss you.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's it , this site has turned into an online dating service. :scare: :cool:

23. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) Yoo hoo! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I'm tired of hiding. SBD and I want to be together.

24. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :roflmao:

25. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Not bad snack...I wouldnt kiss you....but I'd love that draft. Question though...to get Luke...where are you trading up to?