1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Says it better than any of us can

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JPP, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Think I read Patricia is the Lions new head coach.. no thanks to Josh he may go to the Colts anyway

2. m4mica

m4mica Active Member

Oct 21, 2014
    FWIW - I don't think the desire to get rid of Tomlin is a result of 1 loss. It's a culmination of proven failure to prepare teams. Losses to horrible, not bad, horrible teams has doomed this team for years. It has cost them playoff spots and/or seedings every single year. Then we they do get to the playoffs they underperform. This isn't the first horrible playoff performance. Last year's zone coverage vs Pats, the Tebow game, etc.

Here are some options.

Munchak - his previous HC record wasn't great, but the OL has been pretty impressive and is well respected. Seems like he'd run a tight ship which they desperately need... at the same time provides continuity because this team needs a tweak not a rebuild.

Harbaugh - i know, i know, I vomited a bit typing it. but the guy was good with SF. Again, no BS kind of coach with a track record and (presumably) something to prove.

Shurmur - horrible records with Browns, but even Belichik was bad there. Anyone that can get to NFCCG with Keenum at QB is doing something right

Coughlin - one of few coaches to beat Belichik in playoffs. His fingerprints are all over Jax success this year.

Reich - Eagles OC

Richard - Seahawks DC

At this point we know what we are getting with Tomlin. Lots of talk, no substance. A team that habitually underperforms and is ill prepared. Would some of those guys be worse? Don't know. But I am pretty sure Tomlin can't get this team to the SB again and sure won't win. We have a couple of good years with Ben left. I don't see it happening. Look across river to the Penguins. Bylsma won a cup and then they floundered. Bring in Sullivan and they win 2 cups. Like the Pens they have a ton of top shelf talent but needed a change at the top to leverage it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Going best player available over greatest need got JuJu Smith-Schuster. Is that a move you disagree with?

Watt was actually an example of filling a need. So was Dupree when they took him. So were Burns and Davis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So you wanted Wiz as HC?:shrug:

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah right if you think the Rooney's are going to payoff Tomlin, then spend money to hire another HC. Coughlin is too old, and Harbaugh deal with Michigan he makes over 9 million a year good luck getting him.

6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    This is where the front office comes in. Tomlin has made irrational decisions for several seasons now. Remember when he fell in love with the 2-pointer, and it directly cost him games? He tries to outsmart the game, but he's not smart enough. Certain tried and true unwritten rules are that way for a reason. Don't go for 2 on the opening TD. Also, when down by 10pts w/no T.O.'s, kick the FG when you get in range. Don't try an onsides on a cold day on crappy turf when the ball isn't going to hop correctly, with a kicker who has proven he can't do it, ect. Tomlin needs to be reigned in. Haley needs to go, X-players as coaches need to go. The higher-ups need to step in. Winning seasons mean nothing if you can't finish, or even get close. This isn't the Bengals.

7. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    one could argue that WR was a position of need with how Bryant status had been so no I don't disagree with that move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. m4mica

m4mica Active Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Fair point on Harbaugh, and who knows if Coughlin is 'too old'. Other guys are certainly options and I'm sure there are plenty of others who have more experience and better track record than Tomlin did before we hired him.

You are right though, the Steelers won't buy him out. They made a mistake in extending him and as a result we will waste the final years of Ben's career. I'm convinced Tomlin will never win another SB. Sad, but true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Tomlin's not going anywhere. He my have to sacrifice some assistant coaches, but he's not getting fired. While I certainly think he deserves some blame for what happened yesterday, I don't think he should be fired. Maybe a year from now, if they come up short again and they are looking at rebuilding without Roethlisberger and Bell, then you make the change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

You might be on to something but Tomlin is a top 5 coach and is not going anywhere. Especially after not having a losing season in his career.
    But I would clean out the coordinators and position coaches. Butler, Lake, and Porter gone. Johnny Mitchell might retire and Jerry O needs to go as well. Butler's crew all played or coached with Lebeau. His system is not working anymore. Yeah, we had the sack record but that came from blitzing and the Browns twice.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Cornerback and safety were much bigger needs. So was inside linebacker. Remember, this is a team that went after Hightower in free agency. They knew Williams was limited and the depth was lacking.

They went with Smith-Schuster because they loved what they saw in the player and that move paid off.

All teams go with a mix of best player available and need. That's what the Steelers do. I know the talk a good game about best available, but Burns, Davis, Dupree and Watt are all examples of them filling needs early in the draft.

12. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    We could go back and forth but the overall results have not been up to par. Plenty of examples of misses in the recent drafts. I know all teams have busts but not having a dominate defense here is frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There are two separate things at play here. One is draft priorities and the other is draft success. If Davis, Burns, Dupree, Tuitt and Hargrave were playing up to their potential and Shazier was healthy, that would be a decent defense. The spent the picks on the defense, but those players either got hurt or they aren't playing up to expectations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah cus he was already in the system, they brought an outsider in who has no clue on how to coach a team. He has no control , players are acting like kids on social media , and he couldn't coach himself out of a wet paper bag. It seems when he tries to coach things get worse.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah because Wiz has done a good job as a HC :facepalm:.

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Best player available seems to pan out better with offensive players than it does with defensive players.

17. Hypocycloids

Hypocycloids Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I tend to agree that this team needs a tweak, not a rehaul and that is why I waiver about whether a head coaching change is the way to go. There are two teams in the NFL that are consistently in the running for a ring every year.....the Steelers and the Pats. Making a dramatic change at the top has every chance of turning this team into a 3-13 disaster as it does making them a Superbowl shoe in. If you think things are ugly on this board right now, come back when we are 1-6 heading into the bye week.

My personal preference would be to find a new defensive coordinator. Things have been bad on that side of the ball for way too long. A player or two in the draft and a new mindset could change things. I just don’t think the LeBeau scheme works anymore in today’s NFL with the rules so slanted towards the offensive side of the ball.

18. m4mica

m4mica Active Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I think both coordinators need to go. Overall offense is good but wildly inconsistent. The star power masks bad coaching. Defense is a mess and has been for a while.

Not sure I agree that Steelers are in the running for a ring every year. Seems like they should be but really aren't. They've been in 1 AFCCG since their last SB appearance 7 years ago. The Pats clearly own them, which stinks. But, it's not like we are losing to them in the playoffs every year.

Agreed it's a risk to change all of the coaches, but if we don't I think we are looking at 12-4 and an early playoff loss next year. This team is so overwhelmingly talented they'll always be competitive but they are so ill prepared they'll never win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Yeah it's easy now after the fact, but if they said Wiz or Tomlin are in line for the coaching job after Cowher . Who would've been your choice? The outsider who nobody knows about, or a guy who knows the system? Tomlin is just as bad , he's only lucky that he has better players, it's the only reason he's still around. Ben and Brown are saving his dumbass.

20. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think you have to at least evaluate the Coordinators and some position coaches to see if they should stay or go.

Lake, Porter, and Butler all need to be looked at.
    Haley needs to be looked at as well.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah well the Rooney's disagree with you :cool:

22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yesterday results and the other bad coaching games disagrees with you and the Rooney's. That's what counts, the end results, they don't hand out trophies for not having a losing season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Isn't the point of replacing the head coach at least partly to shake up the system? If you're just going to continue it, why bother?

24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Question is why do either of our coordinators still have jobs? Should of been fired already?

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This wasn't a shake up case..Cowher retired and Wiz went to Arizonia as a HC and we almost lost to him in the Superbowl if it wasn't for the spectacular catch from Holmes. Bruce took over as the OC so they did keep things the same.