1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

same ol same from tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by fearthesteel, Mar 1, 2020.

1. fearthesteel

fearthesteel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    i was thinking of the 2020 draft and was wondering which udfa the steelers will get. then i got upset at the thought because it doesnt really matter. freaking tomlin never gives any rookies a chance. for example they had j. harrison on the shelf behind porter for quite a while they even cut him and brought him back.
    if given a chance harrison would have proved he was better than porter even tho i know porter was no slouch but he never won nfl defensive player of the year.
    that reminds me of tuzar skipper the only way he is gonna get a chance to play is as the last option. tomlins looks like he is afraid to play rookies cuz of the mistakes they will make and ruin his season but everyone makes mistakes and learn from then. even the great polamalu even as a vet made a bunch of mistakes but made amazing plays that overlooked those.
    look at diontae spencer we let him walk instead of switzer.
    so i guess it doesnt matter to get hopes high on potential good udfa available or for that matter any other rookie. im guessing even if they draft dobbins he wont play because of conner. tomlin is jus to loyal to players he becomes close to even if they dont produce, hence dupree for the first four years. what yall think?

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Hooray another Tomlin thread.:beathorse:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think some people pay attention to this team.

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Didn't TJ, the rookie, put the great Harrison on the bench? Tomlin didn't go with developing Dud Dupree over his allpro? :hmm:

5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Hooray another nazi censoring free speach.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I think it was Mr. Butt-hurt Tomlin who put Silverback on the bench and left him there while we couldn't generate a pass rush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I don't know about that. Tomlin plays favorites, so all a rookie has to do is break the glass ceiling and get on the field other than ST. Then he's pretty much guaranteed a starting spot for at least 3 seasons. Look at Artie Burns. We might as well have played with 10 on defense. Would have saved us a bunch of yards in PI penalties.

IMO, Tomlin really doesn't have a problem playing rookies as long as there isn't one of his butt-buddies ahead of them on the depth chart. As long as there is a player making mistakes, Tomlin has a smoke screen for his ineptitude. He didn't drop that pass, get lost in coverage, twist an ankle on a blade of grass, or be a second year pro qb not ready for prime time. How could he be held accountable for those unforseen things? As long as the players keep f'ing up, it's on them, not the coach. Right?

8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Exactly

9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It's funny how Tomlin apologists fall back on his win/loss record and his lack of non-losing seasons, but they won't engage in a discussion about what he has done with what he has been given.

Any average coach could rack up the win-loss record that Tomlin has, if given what Tomlin has been given......"any" average coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If I had to be on one side of the fence I’m would say talent has gotten us as far as we’ve been in the last 10 years. The coaching needed to put us over the top in many seasons has been lacking...imo. Preparation and scheming have been lacking. You need talent obviously but on occasion simply being more prepared and focused can be the difference between winning and losing. People want to point to Ben throwing a INT or so and so fumbling as to why we win or lose. While player performance is key, if Ws and Ls fall squarely on players shoulders then anyone could be a good coach,no?

Does last year’s record indicate a good coaching job by MT or that the floor of our talent is 8-8?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Excellent points!

Think about this.....

Tomlin knows he can stay with the Steelers as long as he wants, retire from the NFL, and go down in history as one of the greats! When, in reality, he has been a HOF underachiever.

Nice gig if you can get it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Non losing seasons will keep him around as long as he wants ,especially post Ben

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe minka is the new standard. We trade our first rounder to get a first rounder and he doesn't have to sit the bench his rookie year. :hehehe::cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That would be brilliant! Wait until that first rounder has proven himself......but.....I don't think the Miami situation is going to come around too often:smiley1:

Do you remember when, prior to the rookie contract changes, N.E. would trade any first round pick they had for 4 or 5 picks where they could get talent more likely to make it? Back then, an early first round pick was a curse because it would tie up most of your money until you got that rookie signed and that usually happened late thereby hampering you abilities to use free agency and restructure contracts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe Seattle will want to do a trade for DK. :lolol::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    @SDOT in 3...2...1...lol

maybe he’s still looking for the Bill Nunn Draft Room...

17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't remember Bush sitting on the sideline much last year?

And, then there was Johnson announcing in week 3 that Tomlin had said he would be starting for the rest of the season.

I don't know what more playing time you would want out of your early picks than what Bush and Johnson got last year. The Steelers did not have a 2nd round pick last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it was in reference to the original poster saying our rookies sit the bench. :cool:

19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    You can't simply separate the win loss record from the equation. What Tomlin helped this organization accomplish was to make the playoffs or compete for the playoffs almost every season he's been a HC.

Tomlin and the organization gave this fans base hope that this team could compete for and win the Superbowl almost every year.

The organization and Tomlin were not given anything. The organization had a lot of success with what they had. Tomlin also helped to get plenty out of the players he had. They also put in a lot of work for what they accomplished. I know some fans don't appreciate any of the work that goes on behind the scenes.

People who can only recognize Superbowl wins as the only measure of success will never be happy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm sorry but you simply are mis-informed or you mis-stated.

This team and this organization was used to making the playoffs when Tomlin came aboard.

If anything Tomlin has robbed this fan base of what we were used to, and he did it with some of the most talented teams we have ever had.

"Tomlin" was given a Super Bowl caliber team when he joined and has been given "supreme" talent, which he got very little out of other than some stats.

Tomlin allowed countless cluster ****s to linger on the team, Ben's selfishness, AB's unchecked cancer, Bell's sitting out, Bryant's side show.....these things didn't happen in a vacuum, these things are the result of the environment.

Tomlin didn't bring **** to the Steelers, the Steelers gave Tomlin everything, and in exchange we got non-losing seasons.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah and Tomlin helped this organization continue with success.

Tomlin "robbing this fan based" is an extreme point of view to have. People simply can't be fair to the man with that point of view.

He managed to help this team make the playoffs in 2007, Superbowl in 2008, Superbowl in 2010, and Playoffs in 2011. I consider making the playoffs an opportunity to compete for the Superbowl. That's 4 shots at the Superbowl. That's not very little in my book.

They had two down years of 8-8 and went on to make the playoffs 4 years in a row. 4 more opportunities to compete for the Superbowl.

The other nonsense about the players you mentioned is meaningless gibberish that's just the nature of dealing with players in today's age. Not many coaches manage and deal with today's players better than Tomlin.

It's clear that you don't respect and appreciate what Tomlin brought to this team. I don't even know why we are having this conversation? Again, you can't be fair to the man with the a negative nelly attitude towards him.

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

No, I'm a proud damn AMERICAN that doesn't correlate well with repetitive topics that have terribly written English and even worse spelling.

I'm not anywhere near a Nazi nor am I the grammar police either. Stupid conversations about MT are 100% useless. We got what we got and either you see it or you don't.

Tomlin did a decent job last season to my surprise. I'm not expecting much more. Always hope I'm proven wrong and he finally unleashes hell but I won't hold my breath.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    If Tomlin retires in next 2-4 years he is in the HOF Stone. Why? Because he is the 2nd best coach in the last 12 years. What he was given he has had success with. On par with other HOF coaches that were given a franchise QB. Dungy, Shula, Johnson, Cowher, Reid, Madden, Landry, Levy.
    If he sticks around too long without a franchise QB, then he gets losing seasons, subpar winning %, & votes of 'no' from the HOF committee.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1