1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sam Darnold in black and gold

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Sep 10, 2017.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    watching him tonite against Stanford made me want to trade our 1st, 2nd, and Levon Bell for the overall pick. he is worth it.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the kid from ucla linahan looks quite good. we also had scouts watching the kid from wyoming.:cool:

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets see how the college football season plays out, lets hope that our Steelers
    have all hands on deck and scouts are given large expenses to scout all players out there.
    Lets find our new QB.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    An interesting scenario may play out in Indy. Andrew Luck is out for a few more weeks and seems to be oft injured. IF the Colts tank and they get tired of dealing with Luck's injuries, I wonder if they would be willing to trade him? They would have to have a relatively high pick to ensure they get another QB, but they got rid of Grigson and hired Ballard last January so maybe they'd go in another direction??

And if they want to keep Luck, maybe their first round pick would be up for grabs??

Just spitballing some ideas, not advocating for the trade, but it will be an interesting scenario come draft time if they have a record which lands them a top 5 pick.

edit: looking at his stats, he hasn't missed as many games as I thought, but still might be something to watch...

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Don't count on Darnold declaring for the draft, he is only a sophmore, and USC has a history of keeping their QBs untill they are seniors, Sanchez left early and had a bad career not saying sanchez is even close to Darnolds talent level but Darnold is all in at USC his first love, I seriously dont expect him to declare.......

FANSIDED:

While his lack of college experience plays a huge role in the opinion that he will stay with the Trojans past his sophomore season, it is not the biggest indicator. The reasoning stems from something a little closer to the heart.

Darnold has been a USC fan since childhood, as described in an article by Sam Fortier of The Ringer this past December. He would don the jersey of two-time national championship winning quarterback Matt Leinart and his father Mike would take him to Trojan football games every year.

It’s safe to say USC has always been Darnold’s dream school. Which means that USC is more than just a stepping stone to the NFL for Darnold. He has a history with the Trojans, one that spans longer than just 10 games.

Darnold wore the No. 11 cardinal and gold jersey of a national champion as a child. Putting a No. 14 version out into the world, must be a thought in the back of his head.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I like the kid, but I doubt he ends up here unless the Steelers have a disaster of a season this year or next (next if he decides to stay in school after this season).

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why do fans keep bringing this up? All those QBs will be drafted in the top 5 in 2018, the Steelers have no shot at any of them. OP you can't trade Bell he will be a FA :facepalm:.

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He can he tagged and traded.

9. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    This would be awesome

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    What team is going to trade for a RB on a 1 year deal who makes 14 million :shrug:.

11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Jared Allen was once tagged and traded from the Chiefs to the Vikings in return for a 1st round pick and two 2nd round picks.

Just because it's an expensive 1 year deal doesn't mean he has no value. He's one of the best RBs in the league. Sure he would be a rental but there's some teams that would make room for him in 2018 in hopes of a SB run.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers wouldn't get that much value for Bell, like the Chiefs got for Allen.

13. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    No, but I'd settle for something. 2 2nd round picks?

I don't want to let him walk for free and I don't think we will lock him up long term.

Best case scenario, you tag him and get some form of compensation.