1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Safety position?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Da Stellars, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Anyone surprised we didn't address this in later rounds or even really in UDFA?

I think our depth could be improved here:

Mundy is come along ok, but you got to wonder if Ryan Clark could have played in the Denver game we would have won. And we have to go out there again week one. And who knows, maybe again for the playoffs depending on how Manning does?

Will Allen is good when he is healthy....emphasis on "when". He is no spring chicken either...

Then we signed Myron Rolle, who is a great guy, but never really had a amazing college career, his chances are slim IMO. Actually I just took a look and he is listed as a CB on their website????

And who really knows what the Steelers think of Cromartie-Smith?

Maybe we find a FA over the summer?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    golden the udfa from arizona may make some noise at safety. he's not bad and a great late pickup. he played corner for them and then moved to SS and did really well.
    we also brought in rolle, but his speed may be a problem.
    cromartie-smith has looked pretty good since he's been here and improving every year. the cupboard isn't bare by any means. :cool:

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I think Mundy has come along really well...he made one judgement mistake in a big game and people want to come down on him...big deal...if it was any other player like Troy or whatever people would let it slide. They still have Allen who is OK...and I also like Cro-Smith...plus who knows what Rolle and anybody else would bring.

I think with the backups they have and maybe a decent player who gets cut that they might pick up...they will be fine this year. But I think in next years draft they will pick a S or two...at least 1 in the top 3 rounds. As they filled a number of big needs this year (OL, NT, ILB)...so next years need could be S, maybe WR/TE...depending what goes on with RBs after this year that could be a need...same with CB.

4. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    We need to find a stud safety next year.

5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Sean Spence @ SS...... Does that sound crazy? I've read where it could be a possiblity but I just don't know.

Cajun-

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Spence is a LB. I don't know where this safety talk is coming from just because he is undersized. I really think he is going to come in on 3rd down and run with the TE. At no point do I think you will ever see him playing 10+ yards off the LOS.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think cromartie-smith will be a good safety this year. year 3 in the system, he's pretty fast and has some size. he also has some corner play under his belt, which will help him in coverage. this will be his year to take out one of our backups. allen :praying: he looked alot better last year. this year with full ota's and it should really click for him. i like golden though as a newbie understudy to add at some point down the road. even if we draft one next year, he could be groomed at the backup role at some point. he can play. :cool:

8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

I think its crazy....All we here come combine is how these bigger Safeties cant cover......his hips are stiff...he is tall in his backpedal.

If they had the hips, feet, and backpedal...they would be corners.......they cover like safeties...and the Steelers ignore them all.....so I dont see them taking a OLB in the 3rd round to be a backup SS someday...He doesn't even cover like a safety....he covers like a LB.

but your guess is as good as mine...we shall see.

HACK

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    He will never play OLB for us. He is a very good "will" ( 4-3 weakside OLB ) type of guy. His measureables are bad, shows him as a slow,small weak LBer but his tape shows production. He is always around the ball. His instincts, game knowledge (football smarts) and ability to read the QB makes up for his physical shortcoming. He is a rover type guy and has been compared to Troy P. in this area. I'm not making the suggestion for the move to SS.... I'm just saying I've read it and EVERYONE says he has great instincts for the ball, good cover guy and great in space but struggles once engauged by a blocker.

One thing is for sure, he should be a ST ACE and maybe LeBeau will create some packages/schemes utilizing his skill set. Maybe he'll offer us something like the ability to switch more effectively to a 4-3 defense if we loose either woodley or Harrison to injury instead of replacing them with Timmons. Maybe he becomes our ILBer challegning Stevenson.

Who knows? He's a football player with proven production so let's watch and see how the Steelers use him. As long as we win I really don't care what we scheme or who we play.

Cajun-

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Mundy is a much better FS than SS. But, they do need to address this soon, but you can't fill all your future needs in one draft. Plus it seems that saftey's seem very injury prone, I hope the lack of depth doesn't hurt us.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    From what I read, he put on 10-15 lb's muscle for the combine, which slowed his timed speed down. Thats why he looks fast on tape, but has a slower 40. I don't see how Spence ever starts here as long as TImmons is around , but I do think that maybe he is a hybrid type guy to be a pass coverage LB in Nickel or Dime situations? Many 3-4 teams are putting hybrid 4-3 guys on their roster now since it has become such a passing league. And he most definitely will have to a ST ace to make the team...