1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Safety depth post 2019 = high concern = Investment Draft Strategy

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelcityclash, Mar 24, 2019.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I wanted Tre Boston last year too, and I have no idea why teams are hesitant. I haven't seen any news/rumors.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...eward-safety-should-take-a-look-at-tre-boston

I think FS is a much bigger need than edge/OLB. If Davis goes down with injury we have basically no one. If Watt or Dupree goes down, we have Chick and Ola. But I think outside CB is a greater need than both because of Haden's age. Need someone for next year more than we have to think about replacing Davis. I don't see the Steelers going S or OLB in the first 3 rounds. If they did, I would be happy about Gardner Johnson in the 2nd. I don't think there's a safety worth the 1st pick at 20.

Marcus Allen imo was a Bradley new coach pick and I bet he doesn't see the field with any meaningful time.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree and there is currently no capable back up. Edmunds is not a viable option and struggles in such a role. Edmunds was used a few times last year in deep coverage and the results were terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Well Amani did not have a Pre Draft Visit scheduled for the Steelers. A shame. His instincts in zone coverage are arguably the best in the class. That being said though, he is more so a Cover 2 Safety with DIME ability. I suppose this indirectly indicates both Tomlin and Butler are banking on Marcus Allen to have a Sophomore Explosion.

That being said, Pittsburgh does have a Pre Draft Visit set up with Darnell Savage Jr. On that note, putting them side by side, it is a bit difficult to not see the similarities between Savage Jr and Chauncey Gardner Johnson. The only two major differences is the conference they played in and the fact that one is an Underclassmen while the other is a Senior but who will be only 22. Weight can also be one but I believe Darnell can add some weight without losing speed.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Any of the 3 AQL. I'd add Johnson from Houston too. He's raw but the size/speed ratio and upside is big. :cool: