1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sadly, this is where the NFL is headed.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Gettysburgh, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Gettysburgh

Gettysburgh Member

Oct 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

Helmet to helmet contact should be avoided, but sometimes it can't be avoided. This is football for crying out loud! Roger Goodell is ruining this game that we love and has transformed it into something so far removed from what once made it great.

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I liked the comment on NFL Network when during the highlights, they showed Ben hugging a teammate. Someone said "Is that going to get a fine for helmet to helmet hugging?" :roflmao:

Even leading with your shoulder, your head is going to hit many times. They took intent out of the equation, and that's the problem.

3. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That was hilarious! It used to be the commentators were kissing up to ole Rog & the NFL, but even the commentators are starting to point out the ridiculous rules & poor officiating.

4. theotherbigben

theotherbigben Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    I don't know if it's just me getting older(32) or if it's these new rules, but honestly I'm watching less games. I watch all Steeler games beginning to end, but a lot less pre game and post game. And in general my attitude towards the NFL is negative now. Kinda like I'm pissed off at it.

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    You're not alone.

6. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Same age, and same feelings. I used to watch every game I could, but now I usually only muster out the Steeler game and whatever marquee matchup there is that week, if there is one.

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Definitely not alone. I absolutely love the game of football and am crushed that it is becoming what it is. Aside from the Steelers, I would watch a high school game any day over a pro game, as of right now. The kind of hits that are getting fined are hits that we used to ooh and ahh. Now its just Oh, s*** there goes 75k. Sad!

8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Football is the only game I care about. And I'm a football junkie. I'd watch anything I could get my hands on, even ARENA ball if all else failed.

Now, if the Steelers aren't playing, IDGAF. Look, I understand the desire to protect the players. I do. But it has gotten WAY out of hand, and even with that, it's wildly inconsistent to the point of appearing to be favoritism.

"Zero tolerance" policies never work the way you plan. At some point, common sense has to enter the equation. There's a difference between incidental helmet to helmet, unavoidable helmet-to-helmet, and INTENT. the only thing that should be penalized, and possibly even fined is the intentional stuff.

And while we're at it, take out blocks to the knee, and don't allow runners to lower their head into defensive players, or the whole policy is FOS.

9. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    :amen: I hear ya. These are my sentiments EXACTLY. It seems to be getting more "predictable"? Maybe that's not the right word, but that's my opinion. The conspiracy to tip the balance in favor of offense is just WAY TOO obvious. Won't be long before we start seeing games ending 84-68 on a regular basis. Yippee. :glare:

10. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    "Won't be long before we start seeing games ending 84-68 on a regular basis. Yippee. "

:this!:

Yeah but I don't see the :bscow: scoring these kind of points unless we have to start spottin' the "bad" teems points
    :clowns:

11. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Man it is ridiculous, out of control , it is unexceptable. Roger "G" and the NFL is making this a Flag Football league. I posted two post about James Harrison with articles about him being suspended or fined. It was just plain hatred. People were saying things like, I hate the Steelers, so I hate James Harrison, James Harrison is a cheap shot artist, James Harrison should be suspended for the rest of the season, or he should be kicked out of the league, not to mention the haters for the Steelers and Steeler Nation. It was complete ludicrous.

Man I'm very tired of Roger Goodell and the NFL with all this BS that they are putting down. In my comments toward those James Harrison article, I stated that Mr. Rooney should stand up and take a stand against Roger Goodell and the NFL about all this illegal hits business. If Harrison is fined for the hit on McCoy, the Steeler organization should pay the fine. If he is suspended, Mr. Rooney should appeal it and tell Goodell that we are not going to stand for all your BS on these illegal hits. That will take care of it because all the other teams would follow suit. This would make Goodell and the league back off.

Also, I am sick and tired of all this Flag Football stuff. Let them play. I gave and example of how Steeler Great and HOF Mel Blount use to play. He was in the receiver back pocket all the way down the field. You had to do work to catch a pass on him. They changed all the rules because of Mel, changed the game. I say lets get back to real football, just like this sorry passing game that the steelers have come to with Bruce Arians as the OC. He is the reason why Ben has been sacked over 300 times since he has been the OC.

12. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I was just wondering how you really feel on this subject? Actually, I agree and love to hear a player say that they play this game knowing it is physical and that they can get hurt at anytime. They play it anyhow and take their lumps. I miss the old mentality of "after we sack the quarterback we are going to sack their whole family". Now its more like "after I accidentally brush up against the quarterback I"m going to ask him and his family out for supper to apologize for breathing on him". Sorry stuff!

13. LAMBERT1973

LAMBERT1973 New Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I remember when the only time a player got fined was when they threw the ball in the stands. 15k. Now, they dont fine that anymore because the NFL deemed interaction between players and fans a good thing.

14. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The only way to combat this is to hit the entire NFL in its pockets. But to do that we'd have to boycott the NFL... Including the Steelers.

TPTB are counting on our resolve not being great enough to band together, and do that.

Most of the time, about many socio-economic issues, they are right... And that is what is wrong with our society.

We are the fans. From Gooddell to the owners to the players to the frickin' towel boys... They only make what they make because we watch on T.V., pay for stadium/field/dome attendance and purchase merchandise. If we unified, and made our voice heard, through economic sanction of the NFL, then we'd have a true voice into this matter.

15. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
  16. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Pretty much...

17. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Football is the only game I care about. And I'm a football junkie. I'd watch anything I could get my hands on, even ARENA ball if all else failed.

Now, if the Steelers aren't playing, IDGAF. Look, I understand the desire to protect the players. I do. But it has gotten WAY out of hand, and even with that, it's wildly inconsistent to the point of appearing to be favoritism.

"Zero tolerance" policies never work the way you plan. At some point, common sense has to enter the equation. There's a difference between incidental helmet to helmet, unavoidable helmet-to-helmet, and INTENT. the only thing that should be penalized, and possibly even fined is the intentional stuff.

And while we're at it, take out blocks to the knee, and don't allow runners to lower their head into defensive players, or the whole policy is FOS.[/quote:38z36wfo]
    :this!: so friggin much.

18. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

LOVE IT! :lolol: