1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Switzer Thinks Ben is a Good Leader

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Feb 26, 2019.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    https://steelersdepot.com/2019/02/r...hlisberger-for-helping-jump-start-his-career/

With all the negativity surrounding Ben's leadership right now, It was nice to hear a player come out and paint Ben in a positive light. Ryan Switzer credits Ben for jump starting his career. He talks about how Ben would sit down with him and go over plays on the ipad from the moment he got here. Switzer also talks about how Ben, who barely knew him, reached out to him after his wife was in a car crash.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Watch out, here come all the BR haters who think Ben is a crappy leader, bad teammate and general a$$hole because he wiped his butt on the curtains when they ran out of TP.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I heard a tumor Ben wipes his butt on the curtains every time they run out of toilet paper.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I hope for Ben's sake it was a rumor and not a tumor. Especially in that part of the body. :hehehe:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I saw a mic'd up video where Ben sought out Switzer during the pregame and gave him a nice pep talk.

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben talked nicely to another receiver? No wonder AB is upset!

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I found the video (I think this was the video).
    I guess Ben pep talked every player on the field, including the other team.:unsure:

;+);+);+);+);+);+);+);+);+);+);+)

Edit: I didn't have the NFL's express written consent to use the video, so here's another Switzer/Ben vid that goes with the topic.

Edit: You'll have to watch them on youtube.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep. I’ve argued in his defense too. But apparently if you speak about your teammates in the media, it negates every other good quality he has as a leader.

His discussing his teammates in the media won’t win him any leader of the year awards but it doesn’t make him a bad one either. He tries to help and make better everyone on that team.

I personally don’t have any problem with him talking about them, he never says anything that terrible, grow some thicker skin for crying out loud.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    If all humans could control their emotions, there would be no war.;+)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You're such a tease Grout. Just like watching one of those dopey exploration reality shows like Oak Island. LOL ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It wasn't due to lack of trying.
    Go to youtube, search *big ben mic'd up* and *ben ryan switzer*, it should be the first result for both.
    That Oak Island tv show is still on? I figured they'd be broke by now. Either that or the curse would have got them both. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Ben problems have been grossly exaggerated. The media needs something to talk about, so Shannon Sharpe et al get on the Big Ben slam committee. IMO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    People said good things about Terrell Owens too.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Mommas don't count.

• Like Like x 2
  15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben clearly has done plenty of good things over the years. Like someone said, doing 1 bad thing doesn't negate the good thins, but doing some good things doesn't excuse the bad things either. It's a two way street.

Ben never took to Haley, ever. It was obvious from day 1 based on his passive aggressive comments. They never got along and I have no doubt that's why Haley got fired. Ben has also said a lot of other stupid things over the years. A big one was saying he wanted to throw to Juju 4 times in the end zone. What about not saying that in the media at all. Why disrespect AB like that? If he had to say anything, what about saying he wanted to throw 4 times and leaving out a specific players name. Or leave the playcalling comments to the OC or Tomlin.

The truth is always somewhere in the middle, but if Ben could just cut out all the negative stuff, I believe the drama surrounding this team would be reduced significantly. AB has no one to blame but himself for what has transpired, but if Tomlin had cracked down on him earlier and Ben hadn't been a passive aggressive Ahole at times, would we be going into next season with AB happy to be a Steeler and no drama? Quite possibly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm talking about players. There were several who liked him and several who disliked him.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It was a joke man :facepalm:

And it's not against the rules. Lighten up.

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Not a chance. Ben is just ABs scapegoat but he can handle it. AB has been walking the edge all season. I blame JuJu being an all-pro more than anything that Ben did on why pissypants wants a new team.

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    As documented on here, I think a lot of what has been said about Ben's purported lack of leadership skills is bull****. A lot of broadcasters wanting to create drama and headlines so they have something to talk about and get paid.

Ben is a good leader. People are just too dumb to see it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I wonder if the ones that liked him needed meds to function on a daily basis too? You know .... birds of a feather?

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    BINGO!

And the bottom line is that while we would all rather every member of the team be in complete harmony, that simply isn't reality. And the truth is that Ben is probably sick of the circus that goes on around him because he is all about winning and that circus prevents wins.

In late 2016 Ben said the team was undisciplined and unaccountable.... he was right! At the end of that season he hinted at retirement and the Steelers assured him they would fix the problems and what did they do? They moved up in the draft to waste the 76th overall draft pick on yet another QB instead of shoring up the badly leaking D.

Under the circumstances, I think he might be doing a really good job of holding his tongue?

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I liked the value pick in the 3rd with Rudolph. Need good QBs in this league anymore.

With that said, the first two picks are definitely currently up for question. On the surface, Terrell looked like a reach with Washington being a good second round pickup. Terrell had some flashes but needs to show he will be the man back in the secondary making plays and Washington needs to show he can be the #2 WR now or he will also go down as a bust.

Funny I think the Steelers have foresaw an AB meltdown. Why else would they draft a #2 WR in last year's draft with the 2nd round pick?

Ben is the leader of the offense when they step on the field. Not sure how anyone can question that as even being inappropriate. So yep the "kids" (Colbert meaning more youthful than Ben which just about all are) are under his direction on the field and he's earned that position.

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Last March they restructured his contract to push $9+ million to 2019-2021 cap years. If it weren't for that, a trade would save us $10+ million against the cap instead of $1 million. I think they would have found another way to clear cap space in 2018 if they thought AB was about to implode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It's not that Rudolf was a bad pick where we picked him but when the defense was/is a mess and the offense is one of the most powerful in the league and "you are making a final run with Ben" , you don't use a pick on a guy who might be a solid back up when Ben is gone.

If I promise my son that I will buy him his first car with my income tax return and then I go spend my income tax return on another car for his sister, I think I can expect him to be rightfully pissed.

And in today's NFL, you don't win without a great QB and you seldom get a great QB in the third round.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    True, but we didn't know contract extension talks were a reality back when they picked Rudolph due to Ben's comments on retirement. What 3rd round pick linebacker would we have been able to get or cornerback that would be starting on this team now? << real question I don't know but don't think there's much to pick from from last year's class.

So I'm cool with the QB pick. I don't think spending that 3rd on a defensive player would have changed much of the outcome for last season. I have a feeling for some reason that Mason is going to come out play well at some point.

• Agree Agree x 1