1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Shazier on Steelers' D: 'We look like garbage right now'

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerEmpire, Oct 24, 2016.

1. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
  2. SteelersForLife

SteelersForLife Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Sometimes you just don't have the personnel

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I like that he owns it. That's the first step in getting better. Sunday, I told my fellow Steelers fans/friends that I have a "Two-Thirds Rule" for effective Steelers defense in its current incarnation. The rule is described by needing two of these three players on the field in order to play effective defense: Cam Heyward, Lawrence Timmons and Ryan Shazier.

Unfortunately, yesterday proves that my rule is trash. I don't think they can stop the run at all without Cam. That's a dangerous place to be in. When one man can make or break your defense, then you have some team soul-searching to do.

On another note, did anyone else notice how shook up Brady looked when the Steelers were hot on his heels and touching him? I've said it before and I'll say it again: Brady is one of the greatest ever, but only when he is thoroughly protected. Any defense that can touch him for an entire game will cause him to fall from Olympus. He will be as mortal as any other QB. Maybe even more so.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I don't remember getting to him all that much. Moats had a soft push/knock down, that's all I recall. Pats also had 2 wide open drops on 3rd down, and I think the Edleman one might have gone the distance. Catch those 2 balls and it's a blow out.

5. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I recall a play where Brady was under pressure, freaked, and tried to shovel-pass to another player in the backfield. He was so shook that he couldn't even make the shovel-pass even though nobody was touching him when he did it (IIRC). He seemed scared to get blasted. :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is not specifically aimed at you, DSteelerCT, but...

A lot of people going on about those dropped balls. Dropped passes happen in every game, to every team. And it's not like they were Stevie Johnson-in-the-endzone drops, after all.

It's almost as if those who were predicting a blowout have to find some evidence that they were right all along.

It works both ways, though. Hubbard doesn't hold, then DHB scores and it's a different game. Etc. etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    A few times they collapsed the pocket and Brady escaped - either scrambled or rolled out and threw complete - on was on the sideline by White. I am somewhat frustrated that Tuitt seems to always miss to a side when he gets a chance. Like he needs to plant when he gets close rather than diving. The TV doesn't provide a good angle and he has a guard or tackle pushing him; he did draw a holding call.

8. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    cam said they quit. is anyone else concerned that the ones complaining cant stay on the field?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Well, he's right. Lot of high picks on the D the last few years and it still sucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am not concerned. If what Cameron Heyward's statements are true.. I am more fearful than concerned should Heyward miss any more time.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Kinda hard to criticize other guys when you're on the bench.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Shazier needs to shut up and stay healthy, part of the reason they look like garbage is because every other game he pulls a Duce Staley standing on the sidelines in sweatpants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Just goes to show...what a Monster Cam is on defense. He's to the defense .,what Ben is to the offense. Its uneasy if they are injured but when healthy...pro bowler caliber players. They both make each side of the ball so much better and their teammates react

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Geez no Captain Obvious memes...I'm disappointed

Thanks Ryan I hadn't noticed.

15. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Somebody tell him and Heyward to shut up - we're 13th in points allowed.

These guys don't know crap.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Interesting Ryan Shazier states this about his teammates level of play.

Meanwhile his inability to fine tune his kamikaze level style of play is affecting not only his availability but his longevity in the long run as well.

To quote John Fox: "You can't make the club in the tub."

In addition, before anyone rips me for chastising his comment, I am, in no way, shape or form questioning his impact as a player but rather how he plays the game.

17. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    As Tomlin said, "he had to bleed a little in that area." So we gave up some yards on the ground but Brady only had 222 yards in the air. We did have more total yards than them, more T.O.P and we won the T.O ratio. We just couldn't put the ball in the Endzone. I thought the game plan went well they just made more play than us. Everyone is blabbing about how we let gronk bet us. He had 90 yards and a score. If AB has a game like that everyone talks about how average that was. When Brady scrambled for the first downs on 3rd and short that is what hurt us. We needed to get off the field in those situations, the QB needed not to throw INT in the endzone, and the kicker needed to make his field goals. If we do all that the game changes quite a bit.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I have no problem with Ryan Shazier saying that they played like crap. On the other hand cam Heyward isn't even on the field If I was a teammate of his I take offense to that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Cam is the leader. He can say what he wants

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Sure you can, but it doesn't carry much weight with myself. Just my opinion.

21. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Cam is a team captain, voted by his teammates. I'm sure they will heed his words.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Fair enough.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Well, you can bet the bills, seahawks, denver and possibly the rams are going to touch him a lot, the giants won two superbowls against him by touching him a lot, thats how you beat the pats, and surely not with a soft butler defense....

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That's fine and you're probably right.
    If I'm at work and a coworker is goine on vacation or out on a Workmen's Comp injury And he tells me that I'm not doing a good enough job I'm going to tell him to suck it.
    That's just my opinion though and who knows it might be wrong?

25. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    those of you getting down on cam for speaking up while on the sidelines seem to forget that this is his first time missing time.... he's earned the right to speak out

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1