1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Clark's Fine

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steeltradition83, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I wanted to throw out some links i got off of Twitter today for everyone to check out. Ifyou haven't already heard Clark was flagged 40,000 today for the hit on the Ravens tight end. Clark is livid about the fine saying that on Monday in the film review Mike Tomlin focused on this hit and said that it was an example of a good legal hard hit. Clark is planning to appeal the fine and Mike Tomlin says he will support Ryan in doing so.

@EdBouchette Ed Bouchette
    #steelers Tomlin calls 40 K fine on clark "excessive." says he will support clark's appeal

Below is an article with an interview with Clark discussing the fine and also Ben has spoke up and called out the Player's rep saying "Stand up and do something for our Players"
    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/11/9/2549796/ryan-clark-fined-week-9-baltimore-ed-dickson

I expected the fine but this is getting crazy again and I am glad someone has finally called out the Players Rep. I am all for player safety but there has to be a better way to handle the fines.

EDIT:
    found a better article on the Post-gazette
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11313/1188612-100.stm

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    once again goodell proving he knows nothing about the game of football

3. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, I see many in the media are talking about this.
    The main issue is:
    Clark was penalized with 15 yards, and it kept alive a Ravens drive.
    Ray Lewis' hit wasn't penalized and we ended with a FG, instead of having an automatic 1st down (and a probability of getting 7 instead of 3).

I don't care if they fine him now, statistically, that no-flag on Lewis meant we got 3 points instead of probably 7, and the flag against Clark meant an automatic 1st down (penalty was on 3rd down).
    So, it gave an advantage to the Ravens.

I'm not making excuses for the loss. Just pointing out that this issue did affected us in a harder way than it affected them.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Don't forget Clark's tweet about the fine. Clark's Tweet

5. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    It wasn't enough that we screwed you by handing the Ravens a FG attempt and a halftime lead, now fork over the cash! Goodell is a joke!!!!

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  7. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    thats funny. where do you get the url for individual tweets like that?

8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm glad that Tomlin has Clark's back and that Ben spoke out. Where are the Rooneys? Hopefully, they will have something to say as well. They can't sit by quietly and watch their players essentially be harassed in the workplace.

9. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Anyone have a link to a video of the hit - I'd love to see it again so I can get all angry at the Commish.

10. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Anything to get someone fired up at Goodell is a good thing! :butcher:

[youtube:2s6r843g]dZSIXCdBd6o[/youtube:2s6r843g]

11. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am so happy to hear Ben tell the Players Union to stand up and do something. This is getting completely out of hand. Goodell has the power to hand out fines and dollar amounts with NO consistency whatsoever. He is ruining this game. :frustrated:

12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Such BS. :bs: :bs: All I can sputter out is a long hisssssssssss.

13. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I heard Demaurice Smith speak during last year's fine brigade and he came across as an empty suit politician. Not optimistic there.

14. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Clark made the comment that next time maybe he should go low and possibly tear up the receivers knee. (Not a Direct Quote) Silverback has said something similar in the past. Is it going to take a half dozen WRs on crutches or with early ends to their careers to prove the point that DBs and LBs are better off hitting a receiver high to protect the receivers legs. I agree that helmet to helmet hits are also dangerous but fines should be reserved for blatant direct hits with the top of their helmets directly hitting the receiver's head. Not for glancing blows caused by the fact that when two men run into each other, their heads are obviously going to be near each other. Clark's hit was obviously intended to impact the receiver in the upper body with his shoulder. The H to H contact actually was a result of the receiver ducking his head and the whiplash effect of getting hit. On the other hand Lewis hit Hines directly in the back of his helmet with the crown of his helmet. The first contact was H to H. Also Lewis was more or less stationary and in much greater control of how that impact would occur. I'm sick of the fines altogether, but at least use some sense of intent and situation in determining what gets a fine and what does not.

15. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Silverback said that in an interview with Michael Irving. And even Irving agreed saying something to the effect, "... go for my head, not my legs..." As you have stated... if knees get taken out, then careers end early. Players know this.

The players don't like this rule. The fans don't like this rule. Those are the only people who matter. The fans want to see the game played w/out these ridiculous rules, and the players are willing to take the risk. I don't see what the problem is.

[youtube:3ac5kcb0]w_IyrYKs4LM[/youtube:3ac5kcb0]

16. steelgirl ny 47

steelgirl ny 47 Active Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is nothing more than a modern day witch hunt directed at the Steelers and lead by Roger GO TO HELL GOODELL!

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Goodell doesn't care about incidental contact, he wants hits like the one Clark delivered to be taken out of the game completely. I believe Goodell is trying to sissify the game so he can continue on his 18 game schedule crusade, you can be sure he will still be gunning for that. Im not exactly sure how he expects to accomplish that since it was in the new CBA that the players will need to agree to it if it is to ever come to pass. Or maybe Goodell is just a big pansy and seeing those devastating hits make him cry. :shrug:

On a side note, I think there should be a Goodell Sucks smiley face on here.

18. black&gold1969

black&gold1969 Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    GODdell needs to go. No consistency in his fines. He is a joke. HATE him...........

19. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    YES! I completely agree, and we should get every Steeler fan in the Burgh to wear these (http://madeyoulook.spreadshirt.com/comish-I10922446) to the home games... let ole rog know how much the largest fanbase in the nfl appreciates him!

20. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    For what it's worth, I watched Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption yesterday, and all 4 analysts on ATH agreed that Clark's hit on Dickson was legal. Although 3 of them said his comments were out of line. Wilbon said Clark deserves a standing ovation for both his play and comments. He has always been fair to the Steelers, I think. Kornheiser, of course, was too chickin sh-- to take any kind of stance at all.

21. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I believe Clark's hit was perfectly legal. However, I also think his comments were way out of line, and I think even he would agree now that he's had some time to calm down. In my opinion, it's never okay to talk about deliberately injuring anyone.

22. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think it's fine, because he was using those words to make a point. He's not going to try and go kill someone. He never has. He's never been a dirty player, and he's never tried to hurt anyone. The point he's making is that if they're going to fine him for legal hits, what's to discourage him from making filthy dirty hits? If he's going to get fined either way, he might as well. He's pointing out the enormous flaws in the commish's -- I don't even know what to call it. It's not really a plan or a system.

23. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I believe you're right. He was trying to make a point. I just think he could have made it better. I've always felt he was a class act. However, I still believe his response was poorly-thought-out and completely out-of-character. He's one of the most intelligent, articulate men on the team. He doesn't need to resort to the kind of comments he made. He's better than that.

24. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I believe you're right. He was trying to make a point. I just think he could have made it better. I've always felt he was a class act. However, I still believe his response was poorly-thought-out and completely out-of-character. He's one of the most intelligent, articulate men on the team. He doesn't need to resort to the kind of comments he made. He's better than that.[/quote:123ef08f]

I appreciate where you're coming from, but its nice to see some emotion from the team about this issue beyond just Harrison.

25. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    I was thinking one of these would work:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]