1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Clark: Steelers Won’t Compete Until They Find Franchise Quarterback

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 16, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Ben was washed at this point(the fact he was in a Matt Canada offense did not help too) and the steelers had no chance to win this game....I have more problem with some other game like the game vs Jaguars.....You can't ignore the fact the defense is garbage come playoffs time and a punt on offense is as bad that a turnovers because the opposing offense will score no matter the field position

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They fell behind 21-0 to the Jaguars partly due to two turnovers by Ben :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

No,Ben had 1 turnover when it was 21-0.....

The Jaguars scored easily on the opening drive and after Todd Haley called 3 bubble screen and the Steelers punt....after a Jaguars punt, the Steelers run the ball twice with Bell and the Steelers are in 3rd down and 11 and after that, Ben's interception and after that the Jaguars score easily on an 18 yard run from Fournette and it's 14-0

On the 3rd drive, the Steelers are at 21 of the Jaguars and on the 4th down and 1, Bell is easily stopped by the Jaguars(by a awful call by Haley again) and after that, the Jaguars easily score again on 75 yards drive for a TD, 21-0

How can you blame Ben for being down 21-0 and not having a fast start in this context? I mean, the Steelers were conservative like crazy at the start on offense and even if Ben didn't have the interception on 3rd down and 11 against the best pass defense in the league, the chances of having a first down in this situation were very thin and if you look at this game, a punt or a turnover by our offense, it was the same thing since the Jaguars had success in offense all game long, no matter the field position

The Jaguars already had 2 long drives for a TD, which was very easy for them when it was 21-0...Of course it's possible to have some errors after that when you have to pass 58 times against the number 1 pass defense

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben had a fumble and an interception early in that game, the run defense struggled stopping Fournette.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m surprised you never mentioned this before

• Like Like x 1
  7. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

True he wasn't always on point in the playoffs. Certainly doesn't help him when he's playing catchup right out of the gate due to collapsing defenses and what appears to be consistent horrible playoff preparation and strategy on the coaching side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Or when Ben turns the ball over too much.

9. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Only time Ben had real coaching in the playoffs was in 2005. We all know how Ben destroyed the Bengals, Colts (even made game saving tackle), and Broncos. Then he panicked in the SB but ended up being the youngest QB ever to win a SB.

2008 SB was won by sheer awesomeness of the D, 100 yard INT, and impossible pass/catch/TD on final drive. OL that year was putrid.

After that, coaching went to utter ****. Nonsensical stupidness kept happening in the playoffs on every aspect of the game: defense, offense, STs, game plans, timeouts randomly called, bad challenges, 2-point conversions from the 12 yard line, etc.

The team hasn't played complete seasons since the Cowher era coaches/players started retiring.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    And he's been factually wrong with that statement every single time. But the emoticon seems to lend legitimacy to comments on this board.

I'm amazed such a glaring factually incorrect statement has escaped the Hall Monitor's scrutiny for so long.

upload_2024-3-22_20-26-32.png

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben fumbled in the second quarter and the return set up Jacksonville in good scoring position IIRC.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You sound like a fool trying to blame Ben's bad play and slow starts on coaching, yeah it was coaching that made him throw 4 interceptions against the Browns in the playoffs :facepalm:.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The poor starts vs jaguars was not because of Ben,it was the coaching and defense...look at the post 104 in this thread,I explain that

Btw,don't forget despite the 2 turnovers by Ben,he still had 470 passing yards and 5 TD pass against the best pass defense in the NFL that year....But when you have a classic Tomlin playoffs defense and that a punt is as bad that a turnovers,this is not enough

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    OB1 it makes my heart grow warm seeing you develop in your message board skills and moving away from the troll side :thumbs_up:

Even for a master of my talents I have to pick and choose my battles when it comes to keeping the board classy and I tend to put my efforts towards more current situations

I will say it is nice to have a fledging apprentice in the wings

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news,but just because you “explain it” doesn’t mean it’s right.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Regarding the franchise QB part of this thread...

We all know that Russell Wilson has been the franchise QB and was a top5 QB in the NFL during his prime. Not saying he is any of that now, just that he was. That status does not come without a high level of football IQ. On this point, Wilson and Fields held the football post snap longer than any other QBs. This typically means their initial reads were not open. Their scrambling ability allowed them to buy time for targets to get open. They also threw a combined 42TDs and only 17INTs. This tells me that while scrambling they did not make bad decisions with the football. In fact, these numbers tell us they both showed high football acumen while in scramble mode. Very BigBen-like maybe?

While this theory means nothing until we see it on the field, the numbers make me very hopeful moving forward that we have indeed upgraded the QB room, and vastly upgraded it. So to Ryan Clark's comment, while we may not have OUR franchise QB yet, I believe we have solidified the position enough to compete better this season from that spot.

18. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    But in this case, he is right.

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You act like those turnovers were pick 6s, and the D couldn't keep them to a field goal. It's funny.....You get onto Ben for throwing 5 tds, and having one int, and a fumble in that game, but
    You think turnovers machine Fields will be good.....maybe is other factors why You think He will be beside his actual play.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It doesn't mean their guys weren't open.....it means they didn't see the guys who were. Now admittedly I didn't watch much of R. Wilson the last two years,but I watched every Chicago Bears game that was on when the Steelers didn't play, and many many many times Fields just didn't see the open guys.....the same thing we were saying about KFP....only worse.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You're clueless if you think slow starts don't matter, scoring points early and not going 3 and out helps your defense duh, Ben got going later on but they ran out of time :shrug:.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The fumble was returned for 50 yards putting the Jaguars near the red zone :rolleyes:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It is 2024 if any of Yinz want to catch up

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Tomlin has already said that games are not won in the first quarter (he mentioned that after our loss vs Jaguars in 2023 this year,link is below) and in the first 2 drives on offense vs Jaguars (which I mentioned in post 104) , the steelers acted like that by being conservative as crazy with so many bubble screen in the first drive and the run in the middle in the first 2 down in the second drive to put Ben and the offense on 3rd down and 11,down 7-0 in the scoreboard after a easy TD by the Jags... It's hard to have a fast start like that for a QB when you are handcuffed from the start....Cowher would have let Ben loose in the first quarter as we saw in 2005, they were the best first quarter team in the NFL in 2004 and 2005, under Tomlin the Steelers have rarely been above average in that

Mike Tomlin Downplays Continued First-Quarter Futility Out Of Offense - Steelers Depot

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Oh please, Cowher and the Steelers got smoked by the Patriots in the playoffs 28-3 in 1996, never got blown out in the playoffs blah, blah, blah.

• Agree Agree x 1