1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Clark: Steelers Won’t Compete Until They Find Franchise Quarterback

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 16, 2024.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    And remaining in stagnation in cap hell is?

2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I have no idea what you are talking about?

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  4. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Comical hearing announcers demonstratively gushing over Josh Allens size. Mason is, what, 2 lbs lighter?

Mason is a big guy too. Mason didn't inherit certain abilities though :p

5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm thinking they let Mark Malone and David Woodley compete for the starting job. They should pick up Bubby Brister in the draft.

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    So who could we realistically get via FA or trade that would be an upgrade?

7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This is the problem you are looking at Cousins who will be expensive and coming off serious injury or maybe Fields who is an upgrade over Pickett without a doubt but will be injured half the season because of his playing style

Not a lot of good options. The guys on the Athletic were saying the Steelers should trade for Geno as the Seahawks are probably going to tear it down but quite honestly I’d prefer to re-sign Mason for a third of the cost.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really. I only see two difference makers playing Qb. You jump from time to time who You think is a different maker. Not to long ago You said the Eagles HC, and Qb were differences makers. How that look???

9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    With Matt Canada's offense you could have Tom Brady and still not win. Sure we need a good QB, but we also need a competent coaching staff. not college coaches off the scrap heap. I get the impression Tomlin is only interested in yes men and coaches that can't challenge him. The few times we did have elite coaches on Tomlin's staff he chased them off.

10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    For the eagles,I said their front office,not the head coach....read again

11. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    much better that what the steelers have right now.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Also,the 4 team left in the AFC have all true franchise QB....But keep lying thinking I was saying the Eagles HC were a true difference maker when it was their GM I was talking about 1-2 months ago....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    We'll see if Mayfield gets past next week, but Goff is very underrated. Brock Purdy is an anomaly, the 49ers are so loaded with talent otherwise. Purdy just has to be a good game manager, and the 49ers will do the rest

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
  15. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The 4 AFC QB left in the playoffs.....Lamar,Allen,Mahomes and Stroud...Yes they need a true franchise QB otherwise the margin of error will always be slim to none for the steelers

Last year,It was Burrow,Mahomes,Allen and Lawrence....the first 3 of those are true franchise QB

In 2021,it was Burrow,Mahomes,Allen again with Tannehill which was horrible but the other 3 are true elite QBs who can overcome the weaknesses your team may have....It's almost impossible to have a team without major weaknesses in the salary cap era....The steelers need of a true franchise QB big time, especially in the AFC where the best case scenario is going to be a wild card win if they are lucky

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    If I were a GM, if have a rule, you select an Online man in the 1st round every year, except if you can draft a QB. Everything else can come later

You draft Online 7 out of 9 years and you'd end up with a decent line. No matter how poorly you drafted.

17. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Obviously the Steelers would be better with a franchise QB, but I’d be fine rolling with Rudolph and Pickett.

The bottom line is even without Watt, who is far and away their best player, and despite a bunch of stupid self-inflicted wounds and questionable refereeing, the Steelers were within seven points of a very good Bills team, on the road in the 4th quarter. I think they should be drafting other needs first - RT, CB, C, ILB. Those are huge holes that need filling.

If anything, the Bills game showed how much of a need ILB is. The middle of the field has been wide open since Holcomb and Alexander went down.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck.

Don Shula

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nobody does

20. Mcbeck

Mcbeck New Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Tony Romo commented positively about Mason Rudolph: https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/01/16/tony-romo-believes-former-osu-qb-mason-rudolph-is-for-real/

Excerpt:
    Romo highlighted Rudolph’s rocky path to the starting job in Pittsburgh and mentioned that he feels the South Carolina native is following a similar path to that of another former Big 12 quarterback, Geno Smith.

“I’m really impressed with the archetype of his career,” Romo said. “You know, you expect him to be a career backup, and he hadn’t been very successful, and you put him in and they’re riding the hot hand right now. To me, he has developed an archetype like Geno Smith in Seattle. He is for real.”

21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t know if I’d go that far but you need to be continually investing. You can get starting Centers and Guards in rounds 2-4 if you scout well but the best Tackles are generally at the top of the draft for sure. Hopefully we got a good one in Jones but he needs someone across from him now

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes I have seen him compared to Geno on here before and their game is similar as well, both love to throw it down the field. Geno was a joke until two years ago but he is an established starter now.

Id be curious to see what Mason could do with a reinforced Oline and an experienced OC.

23. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Well obviously with all other things being relatively equal, the teams with the best QBs have an advantage. There’s no dominant teams right now. There’s just not a lot of separation.

The margin for era is razor thin now because the Steelers roster is average to below average. If they can upgrade the roster to being above average at the other positions and continue playing disciplined but opportunistic football, they could compete with any of those teams even without a “franchise qb”.

Look, qb is an important position and if you’ve got an elite guy it can give you an advantage. I just do t think it’s right to give up hope until you have one.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What about KFP with the same reinforced ol and OC didn't he light up Cincy for over 300 yrs that day?
    afterCanada was let go. With a different play caller than Canada, that maybe gave him more freedom? Lets level the playing field and compare apples to apples. That's all anybody is asking for.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wow....then why has Lamar Jackson not overcome he's weaknesses of playing us???